IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Has Anyone Been on a Low-carbohydrate Diet?

Discussion in 'Health' started by lc87, Jan 11, 2017.

1. lc87

lc87 New Member

Hi all,

So, my interest was very recently piqued when I came across the concept of a low-carb diet. With the exception of those amazing Hawaiian rolls you can get at most stores, I really am not in love with carbs all that much. I don't mind missing out on spaghetti, and I'd happily give up my right to the bread basket at dinner. I've read the odd page or two about this way of eating, but I'd be interested to hear about people's real-world experiences with this way of eating.

My biggest concerns are:
    Since the standard American diet is so heavily loaded with carbs, what meals can I make?
    Also, how do you eat well on a low-carb diet when you're on a budget?

I'm looking forward to getting started and looking forward to hearing you guys' ideas. Thanks. :)

2. JerrodS

JerrodS New Member

Hey,

The first thing you need to know about a low-carb eating style is that it includes a lot of fat. I know that many of the articles around the web, especially since low-carb has become more popular, display all sorts of delicious meats, which may lead you into thinking that meat is an actual staple of a low carb diet, but that couldn't be further from the truth.

It's primarily a diet on which you eat a lot of fat, moderate amounts of meat, and not a whole lot of carbs (you get them mostly from the low-carb veggies like broccoli). What often happens is that people who switch to a low-carb diet start eating more greens than they've ever had before :p.

The array of meals you can make while on a low-carb diet is actually rather wide. I myself enjoy making vegetable/fish stews, or I just prepare some meat, baked vegetables in coconut oil and eat a block of butter during the day. (That may sound strange, but quality butter is rather delicious, especially with a bit of salt.)

For more info I suggest you just use Google since there's a ton of recipes out there.

As for doing low-carb on a budget, it most definitely is possible, but your food choices will be limited. Sardines and eggs, for example, are a cheap, clean, and tasty source of protein. To be fair, low-carb does take some "fancy" foods to be made truly interesting -- one key mind shift is thinking about food less in terms of entertainment and more in terms of providing your body (and mind) with the best fuel possible.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Happyflowerlady likes this.
  3. lc87

lc87 New Member

4. nikki rose

nikki rose New Member

Low carbohydrates is the only way I have ever been able to lose weight. It does take time and discipline, but if you can commit for three months, you will lose at least twenty pounds. The trick is to consume mostly fat, I know it sounds counter-intuitive. For me, the higher amounts of fat I consumed, the more weight I lsot. The first week or so, you will see the most significant drop and then it will be one or two pounds a week after that.

My staples on this diet were butter, bacon,cheese, sour cream, Rib-eye, Romaine, and real ranch dressing from the refrigerated area in the produce section. About once a week, you can have a taco shell or a piece of flat bread or a few crackers, those are the only carbs you should eat. Prepare your salads with any vegetables you like and go heavy on the dressing and bacon. Always use full-fat dressing, all light salad dressings have sugar or high fructose corn syrup which are forbidden. You can also consume a moderate amount of nuts, the higher in fat, the better. I would sprinkle pine nuts on my salads and have macadamia nuts as a snack.

The hardest foods to let go of were cheesecake, chocolate, and pizza. I cheated all the time though, every time I lost half a pound, I would have a few Godiva truffles. Small indulgences of the most forbidden ingredient, sugar, worked for me and didn't derail my progress. Everyone is different so with some experimentation you will quickly discover the treats you can get away with. Best of luck.