IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Have You Ever Been to a Drive In Movie?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Tricster, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Tricster

Tricster New Member

I was talking to someone recently about the old drive in theater that our town used to have. It closed a number of years ago, and I know that many similar theaters in the surrounding areas have done likewise. I used to love the drive in as a kid because you could watch the movie right from your car or get out and sit in a lawn chair or on a blanket, and it always felt less formal than a traditional theater. Also, it was a lot less expensive than today's theaters, and most of the time they were showing a double feature.

For those of you who live outside of the United States, I'm not sure if drive ins are a worldwide thing or not. Just in case you are unfamiliar with them, they are theaters where the movie is shown on a giant outdoor screen. You drive your car into a big parking area and can roll down your windows to watch the show or get out and sit in front or beside your car to watch.

I've been wanting to take my kids to a drive in theater before they are completely extinct. Maybe that's something we can get accomplished now that they are out of school for the summer.

What are everyone's experiences with drive ins? Does your town have one? Have you been there? Did you like it?

2. Jumbo980

Jumbo980 New Member

I have been to a drive in movie. They are really fun to go to with some friends. It is a great social experience that everyone should do. It is nice to hang out with some friends and watch a movie.

3. Liam

Liam New Member

yes i went with my girlfriend it was amazing

4. Uchenna Okunna

Uchenna Okunna New Member

I have never been to a Drive in Movie because I grew up outside the United States. I have seen them several times in movies and I sometimes fantasize about going to one probably with a girl when I used to l reside overseas. Even though I now live in New York city, I still haven't been to one but I am sure there are several in my vicinity. As a matter of fact I shall try to go to a Drive in Movie as soon as I can.

5. kurtcocain

kurtcocain New Member

no, but i wish i could have the opportunity to go to one soon or maybe make one in my backyard

6. lindaisjane

lindaisjane New Member

Yes, I can honestly say that I grew up in a time when drive ins still existed. I can remember my brother telling me that you could park up on a hill on the highway leading out of town and from there, if you were lucky, you could catch a glimpse of the X Rated movies that one of our local drive ins showed on a regular basis. I guess for a teenage boy in the 1970's this was a pretty big thrill. He never took me to peek at any of the X rated films, but I do remember him taking me up there and sure enough you could see the screen on a clear night but you didn't get any of the sound so it was kind of a let down for me.

Years later I went with an old boyfriend and the his brother who was trying to date me and who I was using in an attempt to be with his younger brother who I still liked and wanted back. The older brother had a car so we went to the drive in as a foursome and saw the movie Halloween. It was the perfect choice for a date movie and a drive in date movie at that. There were lots of scenes where I would jump and scream giving my date the opportunity to reassure and soothe me. After awhile, his brother, in the back seat with his date, started to clown around and add to the scares by yelling boo and grabbing between the seats at suspenseful moments.

That was one of the last years that the drive in was still in operation. Its funny that no one has thought to re-invent them.