IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Homeschooling vs. Regular Schooling

Discussion in 'Education' started by Sidney McCall, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Sidney McCall

Sidney McCall New Member

I have a baby girl that my husband and I decided not to vaccinate (no I will not have a vaccination discussion on this thread) so my daughter will be homeschooled by me. I have plans to get her around kids her age so she'll get the socialization that she would normally get from regular school.

I am worried about curriculum, she's only 3 months but I want to have a great graspe of what to teach her so the material that she is learning is right on track with what she'd be learning in school, maybe a little bit harder than what she'd learn in school depending on how smart she is.

My question is what is your opinion on homeschooling versus regular schooling? Which one do you prefer and why? Do you have any tips on homeschooling?

2. smclendon

smclendon New Member

I homeschooled my children. And,when they were toddlers, we focused on reading (whole word recognition) and counting. I spoke to them as I would an adult (no confusing baby-talk) and I made sure they heard proper grammar being used on a daily basis. Learning should be a continuous part of every day and almost everything can be used for a learning experience. I used learning software, DVD's and educational games. I would suggest you join an online homeschooling groups or, look locally for homeschool organizations. Also, there is so much information online about the different ways of home teaching.

I prefer homeschooling over regular school, because each individual has its own way of learning. Regular school is too rigid and teachers can't give each child what they need due to classroom overcrowding. You, as the parent, will know your child's needs and will be able to evaluate how well she absorbs the lessons given. Then, you will adjust the lessons accordingly. It is not unheard of homeschooled children being ahead of their peers, because they are able to work within their learning abilities and may, in some cases, skip ahead to learning materials more suited for their skills!

Veronica likes this.
  3. Veronica

Veronica New Member

For studies i also prefer homeschooling. When you teach your own child, you become patient with them untill they understand. A teacher in school doesn't have time for that.

This is why most kids who get extra lessons get higher marks. It is because the after care facilities concerntrate on your children's improvement. Not only on teaching and going to the next chapter.