IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

How Do You Keep Your Students Engaged ?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Festus, May 17, 2018.

1. Festus

Festus New Member

I am a teacher. I got the the teaching job recently, and I am learning how to constantly keep the students engaged so as to avoid unnecessary noise making in the class.

I'd appreciate some wonderful contributions, either from teachers or students. Both sides are welcomed.

Many thanks

2. Mavic123456

Mavic123456 New Member

how old are you students? That depends on the students. If you have kids and teenagers they would love to have games. I am a teacher myself, so I have a lot of games. I also used the reward system for the students. For adult students they would love to have discussion or research or discussion based on research works.

Congratulations on your new job.

3. Gibson

Gibson New Member

I want to share with you @Festus two crucial strategies to help with maximizing classroom management. You have to make sure that you are maximizing class time from start to finish because if they have any idle time then that is where a lot of the low level behavior problems are going to come.

1.Daily Activities.

I want to be clear in saying that these daily activities don't have to be the same thing every single day. The one thing that you really must take into consideration is they have to start immediately. As soon as the bell ring, the expectation should be that this activity is going to start immediately. You want to make sure that this activity is relevant to them and actually meaningful.

2.Promise Them Something In The End

Let them know at the very start of the class that the last minutes of the class will be spent discussing what's important to students or students' concerns, however you want to work it. But also let them know that at the end of class you are also going to be sharing something that you've just found out regarding a student nearby, and how it is also going to impact their lives. What this does is it feeds their interests and the thing that you want to know going into this is that it can be something positive, it can be something negative, it can be about a student that doesn't even live in their community. But then again, when you word it as such, it causes them to think that it's one of their peers. When you pick someone's curiosity, you have their attention. Here are some of the benefits;
    a) One thing that it does is it actually
    addresses their concerns because
    they want to know, do you care?
    do you understand? Even when
    you don't tell them what it is, you
    give them a sense that you at least
    understand their world by doing
    research on one of their friends.
    b) the second and the most important
    thing is it actually keeps them enga-
    ged because you are promising to
    share something with them that will
    Impact their lives. The thing is, what's
    most powerful is that you tell them
    that you are going to share it in the
    end. What do you think they are going
    to be thinking about the entire time
    While they are in class? The thing about
    young people, no matter if it is element-
    ary or high school, they don't like to not
    Know something that you know. A lot of
    your students that might even be disrup-
    tive are going be on much better behavi-
    or because they want to know what is in
    the end. If you can make this a common
    Practice in your class @Festus, you can
    train them what to expect and what to do
    In order to get what they expect in the
    end. I hope this helps, good luck.

4. raindrop

raindrop New Member

It really depends on how old your students are. I am a teaching assistant in an infant school to the 5-year-old class, and it is a mighty hard job to retain their attention with anything. We try to play games, do various activities, we let them play sufficiently so that they don't get bored, tired, etc. However, some days they just go crazy altogether and there isn't much that you can do other than try and talk it out, or, if necessary, scould them, punish them by taking away a toy or taking away their playground time, or talk to their parents about their behavior. It happens sometimes and it's nothing to beat yourself up over. Good luck!

5. MariamAspirants

MariamAspirants New Member

I am sure that 90% of your success depends on you. I am an English teacher and have working experience with students from 4 to 20 years old. Your spirit and attitude are crucial.

Just remember that there are no bad children, there are poor-skilled teachers. If any boy sits silently and calmly for the whole lesson, he is ill. A healthy boy cannot sit silently for 45 minutes. Here is your choice: either you will make him interested in challenging tasks or he will interrupt you with unnecessary noise.

I got these thoughts from psychologists' lessons and books. You can also dedicate some time to it, it will help you. Good luck!