IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

How do you Know that you Know what you Know?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Amos14, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Amos14

Amos14 New Member

It is hard to imagine a world that exists outside of what we can perceive. In the effort to get through each day without crashing our cars or some other calamity, we make assumptions about the objects in our physical world. Their continuity, their behaviour.
    Some of these assumptions are based on our own experience, some on the knowledge imparted by others of their experience, and some on inferences of logic.

2. McBurn

McBurn New Member

Hello.
    I don't think it's impossible for us as humans to comprehend concepts beyond our seeming understanding. As you say, we can only decipher how something works based on our own experience with it or by what was told to us. However, even if our perception is limited by these factors, that doesn't mean that we won't be able to understand anything beyond.

As I see it, it's all about overcoming our current limitations. There are worlds beyond our perception that we can observe with the right tools, like telescopes or microscopes. Also, if we go back in history, there was a time where our perception was so limited that we thought the earth was flat, and that only nothingness lied beyond the horizon.

It'll take a while, but a time will come when we will have a complete understanding of everything around us. :)

3. Charlie W Gorham

Charlie W Gorham New Member

How do you Know that you Know what you Know?

I have encountered this in my own life and this is how I determine this conundrum. Can I teach it to someone else and they have the same level of undcerstanding that I have about the subject? Another thing that is required is honest with yourself. If you cannot prove it with your logic, research or common sense, then you probably do not know the thing you claim you know.

For instance, one might say, "how do you know Jesus exist, he is not present, you can't see him, here him or prove his existence." My reply would be, "from personal experience, when I called his name, he answered me, he healed my sick body and he delivered me from the bond of addition and other things that I no longer wanted in my life and restored me to a higher self." When you have proof, undeniable, prima facia' evidence, then you can know that you know something.