IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

How do you know who to trust?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by MD Finley, Jan 23, 2017.

1. MD Finley

MD Finley New Member

Trust is the belief in facts that indicate a person or situation is exactly as they are portrayed. Trust sees the criminal justice system as primarily rehabilitative, and not solely punitive. Trust tells us that politicians don't change positions and break campaigning pledges because they are in-debt to lobbyists, but because they are doing what is right. Trust is what we hear when we are told that is there is no "one percent", and that despite all evidence to the contrary, the American Dream is still accessible to all Americans.

But trust has been broken. Things and people and situations in 2016 /2017 have not been, in reality, as they were portrayed to us. We have seen double-standards of justice, 11:59pm backroom deals, and disdain for the lives of many, many people.

Part of Donald Trump's inexplicable rise to the presidency has been because he and his people have cannibalized the idea that we as humans are easily manipulated and that we trust far too easily. And once that trust is broken, we as humans are primed and ready for the ones who will blame that betrayal on anything other than our own naivete.

What do you think? How do you determine who you will trust?

wendy martin likes this.
  2. 2Robert

2Robert New Member

Whаt I'vе fоund in businеss is tо nеvеr trust аnyоnе whо sаys 'Just trust mе'
    аnd if thеy try tо gеt yоu tо dо sоmеthing by sаying 'Dоn't yоu trust mе?' thе аpprоpriаtе rеspоnsе is 'Shоuld I?' thеy knоw thаt yоu саn't аnswеr thеm with а 'Nо' bесаusе thаt wоuld bе аn insult. Sо put thе bаll bасk in thеir соurt.

Аny pеrsоn whоm yоu саn trust wоn't bе trying tо fоrсе yоu tо mаkе а dесisiоn unсоmfоrtаbly quiсkly аgаinst yоur will. А trustwоrthy pеrsоn rеаlizеs thаt givеn sоmе timе tо think аbоut sоmеthing yоu'll еvеntuаlly mаkе а dесisiоn thаt yоu'rе соmfоrtаblе with, аnd hоpеfully it will bе thе sаmе dесisiоn thаt thеy wеrе trying tо ехplаin tо yоu.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    SimonMadingoKaruk likes this.
  3. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Since I've had my trust broken by someone I loved, I try to be as objective as possible, even though feelings get in the way of that (thanks, oxytocin!). I would have to remind myself that this person could possibly do something to me like my ex did. The only people I trust are family and those who have proven they are trustworthy by their actions and years of knowing them.

4. Kanagirl

Kanagirl New Member

You can't know until you open yourself up to giving them a chance. You have to go with your gut. If your gut tells you to trust them, you have to have faith and try. You may end up regretting it later, but you'll definitely regret it if you don't give someone a chance and you find out you should have.

5. Arly2298

Arly2298 New Member

I personally consider that trusting somebody takes plenty of time as well as many other things such as experiences and so on. There's no way I can trust somebody I've just met, or simply somebody who I've not spent enough time with. Trustworthy people are hard to find, but believe me, there are people who don't really seem to be trustworthy, but they really are. Remember, things are never what they seem to be.

6. Pravish Shetty

Pravish Shetty New Member

In most cases I do not trust a person right away, I take my time. Before I can start building trust, I analyze the kind and number of relations he or she had with people. The people who you can trust would not lie often and they speak the truth, even if it's not comfortable for you. They will always offer a helping hand whenever you are in need. People whom you can trust generally go out of their way sometimes to make you happy. These are a few things I analyze in a person before I can decide on trusting someone.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Happyflowerlady likes this.
  7. SimonMadingoKaruk

SimonMadingoKaruk New Member

I believe trust is overrated and you should not apply it unless you have to. Even after doing so, keep an open mind and remember it can be broken at anytime.

8. flowgard

flowgard New Member

Trust should be earned! Not everyone is a good person. Don't get yourself hurt by trusting the wrong people. Personally, I find that trustworthy people will usually respect you and your wishes. They'll try to stay in your good books. I'd say that's how you determine if someone's worthy of your trust. Well, you still have to be careful though, because people can change over time.

9. wendy martin

wendy martin New Member

10. wendy martin

wendy martin New Member

Sadly, we don't know who to trust anymore. The best liars may sound so convincing!! However, we all do have that 'inside instinct'. That 'gut' feeling, so to speak. I know a few people who have the idea trust should be given with no questions asked. I surely disagree. Trust should be earned. I wish there was such an easy answer to who do/can we trust.

11. wendy martin

wendy martin New Member

"Just trust me". I have served in the military for nearly 21 years now. Some of the 'higher ups' may say "just trust me" and I would in a heartbeat!! They would be those who I have known for a long period of time and who have earned my respect. Those who I don't have that 'warm and fuzzy' feeling for would have to explain their reasoning to me.