IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

How do you treat people with disabilities?

Discussion in 'Health' started by IWriteTheStuff, Mar 15, 2018.

1. IWriteTheStuff

IWriteTheStuff New Member

Having had a visible physical disability all my life, I have always found it interesting how people react to me. Some are afraid and nervous. Some don't know what to say. Some treat me like a baby. Yet, some show no difference whatsoever.

I would like to hear some of your experiences with people with disabilities. Do they make you feel uncomfortable, or do you view them as anyone else you might meet?

2. Stacy

Stacy New Member

Unfortunately, the world can be a difficult place for those with disabilities. With human nature, compassion and empathy come easily. But it also comes with ignorance when not properly educated or the lack of personal experience.

I remember when I was 10, my best friend's sister had a condition that caused her to lose all her hair. They were raised in the same home, yet both grew up in completely different environments due to her condition. My best friend grew up around someone with a disability so her perception and actions were completely different than those of her peers who had never been acclimated to life with a disability.

3. Gichanga

Gichanga New Member

Disability is not inability and just like Stacy said,"with human nature, compassion and empathy comes easily. " but we should always remember that just because they are disabled doesn't mean they are always sick.

Mostly, parents tend to hide their disabled children. This is not right as it will affect their self-esteem. On the other hand, disabled children should be allowed to interact freely with others.

Consider enrolling them to special schools where they learn how to live with their disabilities and become productive in life.