IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

How much does Fan Art interest you?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Isabelle, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Isabelle

Isabelle New Member

Fan art- artworks created by fans of a work of fiction (generally visual media such as comics, movies, television shows, or video games) and derived from a character or other aspect of that work.

I believe most of you must have come across at least one of those fan arts in social networking sites like Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook etc. How much do they interest you?

I am a fan artist and I am curious how people think about fan art. Personally, I would prefer those art pieces which have a creative touch to it instead of those fan artists who just make their art work seem like a copy and paste of the original image.

What do you think?

2. BlueSkyeLove

BlueSkyeLove New Member

Ut non sine causa ex iis memoriae ducta sit disciplina. Placet igitur tibi, Cato, cum res sumpseris non concessas, ex illis efficere, quod velis? Scaevola tribunus plebis ferret ad plebem vellentne de ea re quaeri.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  3. Betsoo

Betsoo New Member

Hey, Isabelle! Interesting question. Lately I've been thinking of how much I love Pokémon fan art, actually! It's the kind of fictional universe—one with weird creatures, fascinating cities and routes, and characters with a cool design—that really has a lot of potential for all kinds of artwork! I'm honestly not sure if I'd love the Pokémon games as much I do if I didn't have access to that treasure trove that you can find on Tumblr, DeviantArt, Pixiv, and such.

And I absolutely agree with you on the "creative touch" point! Photorealism doesn't really work for me, most of the time.

4. rollinder

rollinder New Member

I like some fan art, the problem is there isn't always much quality control in places that display it and you get really badly drawn portraits.
    Also some fandoms are overrun by cutesified versions of the characters and/or slash art which doesn't really interest me,

5. gutzman

gutzman New Member

I love fan arts because they let out the creativity of different artists. Lets just say that I see fan arts as a two way mirror for us to see or have a sneak peek of what the artist have in mind. We imagine things differently and this is a great way to share your thoughts through drawing or art. I agree with Isabelle that it is more enjoyable to see fan arts with personal touch compared to some copy cat fan arts. It takes away the true meaning of fan art which is to show the aspects you personally love about the subject.

6. honeylina

honeylina New Member

Great question! Well, personally, I enjoy finding any form of fan art. I think it's also a good way to get exposure on your work and get feedback, which basically means improvement. It also really fuels all of the fantasies we have that may not be true which, in my opinion, is great. I like that a lot!

And I completely agree with your opinion on the creative touch - I think that that's way more fun than just copying the original picture.