IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

How old is your computer?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Shavkat79, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Shavkat79

Shavkat79 New Member

How old is your computer? I have been using my computer for five years. And I think it is still operating well enough. Of course I had to repair it once. But I am not going to replace it with the new one as it suits me well.
    What do you think how often we should change our computers?

2. Susan

Susan New Member

My computer is about two years old. The one that I had previously to that was close to ten years old. I prefer my tablet so I am in the market to buy a new one because I broke mine. For me as long as the computer is working good and I am able to use it for what I do online then I am fine with it. I don't wore too much about having the latest one out.

3. WhyWeaver

WhyWeaver New Member

Eight years and six months. It's a Lenovo ThinkPad Rseries. Compared to my daughters', theirs just died out on them after 2 years. Thankfully, mine is still operating functionally well. But it would be good to upgrade, though. So, saving up for that new Lenovo ThinkPad model. :)

4. Jude

Jude New Member

Actually I have 3 computers and I use them all :)
    I have a desktop that has 5 years old. It's my favorite computer I use it for almost everything. When I'm at home my desktop is always on, playing some music, movies or simply seeing some youtube videos.
    My second computer is a laptop with almost 2 years old. It's a good computer, with a I7 processor. I use it to edit some videos and photography.
    My third computer is a netbook, that I only use when I'm traveling. I bought this computer 3 years ago and is only to see my emails and facebook.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  5. Red-z

Red-z New Member

I have actually two computers, a desktop and a laptop:

The laptop is a two-years-old acer. For a graphic designer, a laptop isn’t perfectly adapted to the job; so I don’t use it much only if I’m outside. I have no intention to change it for the moment, unless something goes wrong with the battery of course. :D

The desktop is a six-years-old hp Elite 8000. It’s too old for a graphic designer, I know, but it works very well and I don’t want to change it just because something new was released. ;)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  6. Jacobbarnard

Jacobbarnard New Member

My current computer is about 1-2 months old unfortunately my last computer broke about 2-3 months ago D: The computer I had before this one was about 4-5 years old and that computer served me well. I'm glad it lasted that long! To tell the truth, though, it was either me or my step-dad who broke the computer as we was trying to upgrade it, it worked out better in the end anyway.

My new computer is amazing though, really high specification computer, well, it should be, it did cost £1000 after all!

My laptop on the other hand, I've had for about 6-8 years, if I can even say it's my laptop anymore, it's got a whole new casing, the only parts of my laptop in it is the wireless card, 1gb of ram and my hard drive, I had to switch to this casing as the screen was falling off my other casing.

Thankfully, this laptops processor twice as powerful as my old one so I'm happy :)

7. Cameron

Cameron New Member

My computer is about 4 years old.It's a Window HP computer.It works very well, and dosn't have any viruses on it.It's one of my favorite computers.

8. Mikechatzis

Mikechatzis New Member

12 years old,windows xp and still rock n rolling like crazy. Definitely worth a total of $2500 back in 2004

9. Fruit is Beaut

Fruit is Beaut New Member

My brother & I built a computer together back in 2003 from wholesale parts. We loaded the latest Windows XP Professional onto it and everything still works! I've never had to repair it, nor even dust it out! I should give it a good clean up soon. I love older computers because you can really tap into them and access their full capabilities. Today's computers are very limited and are not designed to be experimented with in any way. For example, I transformed an old Windows 95 computer to test vehicle engine computers properly, many years ago. This cannot be done with computers any more recently built due to the way they are designed with everything built to deny access. I prefer to keep everything and just get it fixed if it breaks down. More and more these days, we are seeing the tendency for designers to have things built for the purpose of control over what you can do and how often you must keep spending money.

10. hhelenak

hhelenak New Member

I own a laptop and it's one year old, my beloved faithful MacBook Air. The longest time I have used one laptop or desktop computer is about 5 years, but it's usually too long time and computer gets pretty old and slow with that time. Mostly I have had cheap computers also, so maybe it's the deal also, but I hope that my Mac will last at least 2 more years. i think it's normal to change laptops every 2 or 3 years, desktop computers usually last longer, so maybe about 5 years.

11. money_man

money_man New Member

My current laptop is less than six month old. However my desktop is almost six years old and has worked really fine and I am still able to play new games with it.

12. brigada

brigada New Member

My laptop Lenovo Ideapad Y500 is less than 3 years old. The longest time I have used one laptop or desktop computer is 10 years. It was a Compaq machine and I was very happy with this reliability. With sure I can consume that I will continue to work with Lenovo in near future.

13. mariya94

mariya94 New Member

My current laptop is seven years old. It still works like a charm, and I have not experienced any problems with it. I have recently upgraded it and installed some apps on it, such as Twitter. It also includes a new application called Cortana.

14. smee

smee New Member

I bought my computer 8 years before.Still now it is working very smoothly.I have done some hardware repair 3 years before and I am sure if we give proper care of the usual moving parts such as fans and vents our hard disk will last more.Lifespan of a computer may vary depending on how often you use the computer and what you use it for.

15. Scott

Scott New Member

My laptop is just 1 month old because I got it for Christmas. It's a HP Laptop and it's really fast. I don't use it that much but the main reason I use it for is to earn so pocket money. It's a mini one so unfortunately I can't play DvDs :(

16. W4tchYourB4ck

W4tchYourB4ck New Member

I think I bought mine in 2013 a little bit old ;( still sorta fast but getting slower! :mad:

17. jcpbs

jcpbs New Member

I have several computers. 2 towers and 2 laptops. My main PC is from 2011. I built it myself, something that I always have done since I can remember :)

The others are from 2014 (tower, built with spare parts), 2011 (laptop) and 2007 (laptop). All work fine and never had harware issues. Apart from my main PC, which is running Ubuntu, all the others are running Windows 10 without any software or hardware issues.

18. Shaswata

Shaswata New Member

I just got rid of my old computer which was about 6 years old. It just couldn't keep up. So now I'm thinking of building a new one with decent specs which would be good enough to run Windows 10.
    I do have two laptops though. One is Windows and one is Mac. The windows one is about 4 years old. It is getting slower for sure. The Mac one's about 2 years old but still packs a punch making it my favorite computer to use.

19. Longinus

Longinus New Member

My CPU , memory and motherboard are 3 years old, the power supply died on january so I got a new one along with a graphics card. I don't think I will upgrade for a while, maybe next year when the amd "ZEN" platform is launched, it will depend on the price and the reviews about how powerful is the new APU. Switching to Intel is a possibility but the top of the line CPU's are very expensive compared to AMD, and their integrated graphics are too weak.

20. MikeTheKnight

MikeTheKnight New Member

My computer is about 5 years old. Intel Core i7 Windows 7. I wouldn't purchase a new computer unless this one stops working. Of course, I wouldn't fix my computer due to the fact that 5 years is enough to purchase a new one. In conclusion, I would say that 5 years is enough to replace a computer if it seizes to work well or if a new model is urgently needed.