IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

How safe are smart homes gadgets from sabotage?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by SimonMadingoKaruk, May 18, 2017.

1. SimonMadingoKaruk

SimonMadingoKaruk New Member

The idea to interconnect electronic devices together over the internet through Internet of Things (IoT) was way ahead of its time. Devices such as doorbells, fridge, coffee maker, lights and music system can be configured to take commands and send information all through the internet. This technology is the component smart homes.

But I have always wondered, with the vulnerability of the internet and hacking cases everywhere, how safe are these electronic devices from sabotage over the internet?

ksunar likes this.
  2. drig38

drig38 New Member

Its not very safe at all if its connected to the internet. Trust me in do time people will start to use this stuff and hackers will be on the rise. Plus it fairly new technology I wouldn't trust it till its been proven without a doubt.

3. Jaden

Jaden New Member

I understand your concerns, drig38 but the truth of the matter is that even homes that aren't smart homes are still susceptible to the same problems in the physical world that smart homes are subject to in the virtual world.

Someone can break into your house in the same way that someone else can hack into your smart technology. The trick is to try to stay ahead of them somehow, whether it's by getting the best physical security and alarms and so on, or by getting the best software to deter those cyber criminals before they get into your home.

4. David17

David17 New Member

Many home gadgets/devices (smartphones in major cases) have been developed using standardized manufacturer default passwords. This makes it easy for hackers to search the web for these devices and then, with the right malware, they (can) take control of them. From there, the hackers can use their army of hacked devices, called a "botnet," to overwhelm whatever server they aim it at. Hence this raise some serious/ alarming questions about the smart home, like in your case. More and more people are filling their living spaces with an ever-increasing number of internet-connected devices. That means more potential fodder for the next big botnet, and fears of even bigger attacks in the future.