IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

How to pass Mathematics.

Discussion in 'Posting Tips' started by BICHANG'A ABEL, Apr 20, 2016.

1. BICHANG'A ABEL

BICHANG'A ABEL New Member

Mathematics is often considered a difficult subject to pass by many students. Majority of students regard Mathematics as a difficult subject that can only be understood by a few. The first step towards passing Mathematics therefore is attitude change. Developing a positive attitude towards the subject will most likely result in improved grades. Besides, students should always pay attention to their Mathematics teacher, join active study groups and always learn to consult whenever they don't understand.

st30pHen likes this.
  2. Melaney Bridges

Melaney Bridges New Member

I believe a change in attitude is the key to everything. Diving head first into something thinking negative thoughts is a breeding ground for disaster. It's like killing chances before giving chances. That's why personal development is so important. Training your mind to be optimistic and give things a chance helps it to function properly and get the job done every time. I like to compare a reprogrammed mind to the Little Engine that Could.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right.

3. Enonche Kennedy Enonche

Enonche Kennedy Enonche New Member

Yes. In a country like mine, Nigeria, many people carefully choose courses that impose the least encounters with mathematics. It's quite funny to me because I don't think mathematics is difficult at all. All you need to do is learn the basic rules of it and the more complex topics will be relatively easy because they stand on the simple blocks. Personally I think the reason people struggle with Maths is because they fear it too much to want to believe they can figure it out and that makes them never sit enough with it.

So yea, I'll agree to the submission that there needs to be a change in attitude towards it.

4. st30pHen

st30pHen New Member

[QUOTE="Besides, students should always pay attention to their Mathematics teacher, join active study groups and always learn to consult whenever they don't understand.[/QUOTE]

That was very useful. I wish I have heard of that words when I was in grade school. Every Math teachers should have them as opening remarks when they start the lessons.

5. AnnieOakley

AnnieOakley New Member

Just a tidbit to share from my own experience and school years. When I was in high school, I had a teacher that told me more than once that I had hit the upper end of my mathematical abilities and that it was clear I would not be any good at moving upwards through any more math courses. He told me to just give up more than once. Well, I had a hard time being told "can't" and was determined to show him that I could. I "beat my head" against my textbook and also took the time to go to libraries and bookstores to see if there might be some other written materials that explained the concepts in a way that was easier for me to understand. And, well, my grades improved from those efforts. On my college entrance exams, I scored 15 points higher than I needed to in order to be able to take any entry-level higher math course. Being determined to succeed can surely go a long way. However, I learned something even more important from that experience.

I learned that people have different communication styles and sometimes even a teacher and student might not be compatible when it comes to communication. My teacher and I had a communication gap that led us to incorrect conclusions about one another. Because of this, neither one of us realized how we could make adjustments in order to hear one another better. Even my textbook writer wasn't communicating through the written word in a way I could understand. Once I found other books, I found writers who explained the concepts in a way that I understood them. I think it's important to know that what seems really obvious to one person, may not be obvious at all to someone else. Communication gaps can happen, even when trying to pass math. :)