IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

How To Stay Motivated To Exercise

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Gemini8787, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Gemini8787

Gemini8787 New Member

I'm wondering if there are any tricks or techniques people use to get themselves to exercise every day. I've only recently become better at motivating myself to exercise, but I didn't use any specific tricks. Do some people reward themselves for having exercised a certain amount of days in a row? Is there some mental technique or phrase people tell themselves to get in the mood to exercise?

2. Lakeyia

Lakeyia New Member

No tricks just think about where you want to be and what you need to do to get there. You can get a bikini or something you have that you would like ot fit into and go from there. I usually just try and find something I would like to fit into and use that as my motivation. You can even join a group that motivates everyone to exercise. You have to find your own thing and then it will get easier every day. If you like to run I recommend virtual 5k, 10k that you can do from home and you even get your own medal and t-shirt. You pay a fee just like you would if you went to the event personally or you can find a free one where you can choose the date and train. Good Luck and hope this helps.

3. Catie Hutchens

Catie Hutchens New Member

It is hard to stay motivated to workout . Even more so when you are not seeing results right away. What I have seen that helps the most is when you take a before and after picture. Even when you do not lose weight per say you can still see your body changing and building muscle! Keep on working hard and your time and effort will be well worth it!

4. LesYam

LesYam New Member

What works for me is to have a picture or thought that reminds me of why I’m doing what I’m doing. For example, my main motivator to exercise is being healthy and fit when I’m older. I try to picture myself in the future and see how my current actions will shape my life. I want to be able to run, bike and dance when I’m older, so I try to do at least two hours of exercise a day. That way my body will be active and will be able to endure the pass of time.

Also I try to reward myself with food, like a small chocolate or similar, just to refresh my mind and body. That way I don’t relate exercise with something bad that prohibits me to eat or do anything, but something that helps me achieve my goal.

5. BloomingThrough

BloomingThrough Member

Staying motivated is a mindset. I try to never lose focus on what it is that I'm aiming for. If I want more abs, more definition in my legs or arms. I think of that and I go for it. We tend to lose focus and talk ourselves out of things because we believe that our goals may be too high and hard to achieve. Get a journal become organized with your workout routines, watch workout dvds or follow a workout on YouTube. Maybe the route you're taking isn't fun. Make your workouts more fun so that you look forward to doing them.

6. jakejake

jakejake New Member

My advice, suffer for 90 days doig exercise everyday. And you wait day 91 you dont want to stop doing it. Its part of your system now.

7. beedb9

beedb9 New Member

Everyone should find their own source of motivation. However I think that anger is the best motivator. It's just something about it that makes it so much more powerful than being happy and optimistic. When you have a stressful life you can really let that energy out in the gym.

8. Niwang

Niwang New Member

Change your perspective. Shift your thinking from couch potato mentality to thinking like an athlete. This way you will have a better chance of being motivated on working out.