IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

How to stop panic attack?

Discussion in 'Medical' started by Liezeliezel, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Liezeliezel

Liezeliezel New Member

When thinking about all the problems that I've been through and the problems that I will need to survive in the future, I'm starting to have a panic attack. People may think that I'm exaggerating things, but the thing is Panic Attack is real. Fortunately, it doesn't happen to me that often, unlike these past years, I only have two to three panic attacks from January till now, but the sad thing is it happened in just a month.

I really want to know how to stop it because it does affect me and my relationship towards other people. Do you have Panic Attack? What triggers your panic attack? How do you deal with it?

lilmsmisses, mp0310 and Aggy91 like this.
  2. jaymish

jaymish New Member

Panic attacks are a sign of anxiety. You may be under some kind of stress. You may think you’re handling it but you’re not. I also have panic attacks from time to time. I notice they come when I’m not dealing with stress and when I’m not getting enough sleep.

You stop panic attacks by dealing with your stress. They is a saying what you can’t change accept, what you can’t accept leave. This is the philosophy you should adopt when dealing with any problems that cause you stress.

In general, also try being good to yourself(a lesson I've learned the hard way). Get enough sleep, take long walks in nature. adopt a spiritual practice and meditate.

mp0310 likes this.
  3. HazelDJ

HazelDJ New Member

Sometimes, the hormones of our body change. It may cause psychological effect. Even we do not mean to panic, it will just happen. It is better to eat fruits and vegetables that will regulate the hormones such as banana. Another suggestion is to keep your mind busy. Fear is prevented if you mind is occupied. Last but not the least, is to control your mind. When there is something wrong, you immediately inflict your mind that all is well. Say the word relax for many times. These will help you a lot.

4. lbwran

lbwran New Member

When my anxiety is starting to climb, I lightly squeeze the tip of each finger, one at a time. It was shown to me by a spiritual guide, helps you stay present and in control. Something else that's helpful is to join a community cause that means something to you. So many non-profits are desperate for volunteers. Your spirit will be lighter when you're sharing your skills with your neighbors.

mp0310 likes this.
  5. mp0310

mp0310 New Member

I firmly believe in taking walks when one is having a panic attack.
    Before you set out for your hike you should set out with an idea to discuss with yourself to try and solve the situation that you are in.
    Rule 1
    No Phone because that will distract you.
    Rule 2
    Take a bottle of water and toilet paper.
    Enjoy the walk.

6. mp0310

mp0310 New Member

Another way to stop panic attacks is to volunteer to nonprofit organizations. Here is an example of one of our organizations in Israel which I am a member.
    The site will show you how we show the kids that we deal with how to cope with everyday life. Please navigate to the top and you will see "EN" so you can read it.
    Go to your nearest organization and do something good in your life. You will feel so much better.

www.aharai.org.il

7. Bloomsie

Bloomsie New Member

I have had a series of panic throughout my life. First off, I am sorry that you (and everyone who has posted) has had to go through them, too. I truly believe that they are the worst feeling to have. The best way to stop it is by knowing your triggers. Personally, I know when I am beginning an attack when I feel my heart race faster than usual. My usual realization is when I place my hand against my neck to "randomly" check my heartbeat. Once I do that, then I know to stop whatever I am doing, stare at a calm wall and breathe.

While I respect everyone's ways of calming themselves down, I disagree with @mp0310 that going out for a walk is a good idea. If you're going through an attack, you should get fresh air, but stay in a safe environment. Most people who go through an anxiety/panic attack tend to have tunnel vision. Therefore, wandering around can be dangerous and it is better to be near a phone and in the comfort of your own home if your attack progresses.

Good luck to you, @Liezeliezel and everyone else!

EZREAL likes this.
  8. Gpeter

Gpeter New Member

9. Luckymadon

Luckymadon New Member

What always worked for me to calm a panic attack is to breathe deeply and slowly. During a panic attack your heart races and your blood pressure rises significantly. When I slow down and breathe deeply and slowly, the heart rate slows and relaxation sets in, allowing me to feel normal again. When breathing you will want to use your diaphragm. Breathing with your belly. That way you are using your entire lung to breathe and you take in more oxygen. Meditation is also a good calming mechanism for anxiety and panic attacks.

kian shaw likes this.
  10. W130SN

W130SN New Member

I would advise you to see your Doctor. They will provide you with the best advice. You could also ask them for a prescription for Propranolol, this drug did help my Wife and I when we suffered from anxiety issues. Although I don't really like to take medication, this does seem to work when you have an attack.

I hope you find suitable help and support to deal with your issues.

11. kian shaw

kian shaw New Member

A lot of people suffer from anxiety and depression which increases the likelihood of them having a panic attack, it can be rather difficult to overcome those two very important factors alone therefore it's recommended to consult either a doctor or a therapist to either minimize the frequency of panic attacks or stop them. There are a few symptoms that can help you identify if a person is having a panic attack such as : Increase in heart rate, shortness of breath, shaking or feeling like passing out.

12. Markmaria

Markmaria New Member

To gain control over panic disorder, it's important to learn and practice anxiety management techniques that you can use to help you curb a panic attack include:

• Breathing slowly and deeply. Anxiety can cause you to breathe very quickly, which makes both the mental and physical symptoms of a panic attack even worse. When you start to feel panicky, be sure to take slow, deep breaths to soothe your mind and body.
    • Stop and think. When your thoughts start spinning out of control, simply tell yourself to stop. Organize your thoughts and decide what you need to get yourself calm again.
    • Think positively. Push negative thoughts out of your mind, and remind yourself that you are in control. Think about times when you've been able to manage situations successfully and reduce anxiety.
    • Stand up for yourself. If you need to leave a situation, do so or tell someone you need to leave. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Allowing yourself to become more upset will not help if what you really need is to take a walk and blow off some steam.
    • Relax your muscles. Anxiety causes your entire body to tense up, so make a conscious effort to relax each muscle from your toes all the way up to your neck and face.

13. Madiv8582

Madiv8582 New Member

I myself suffer from anxiety and I’ve found that when a panic attack comes on I start to have anxiety about have anxiety, which worsens the situation. The best thing I’ve found that works is to find what specifically is causing this sense of panic and fix or stop it. Say it’s social anxiety there’s really no way to calm down in a crowded place if that’s what making you anxious the best thing to do is step a way for a minute and find what makes you comfortable again. No matter how important what you might be doing is, your health is far more important it’s ok to check out for a moment to focus on you.

14. lilmsmisses

lilmsmisses New Member

A few years ago, I suffered from panic attacks as a result of being under so much stress starting my first business. The attacks were so back for me that I went to the ER twice, thinking I was having heart attacks. Before giving suggestions, I'll start with this, different things wok, or don't work, for different people. So don't be hard on yourself if you try something and it doesn't work for you. Anyhow, for me, meditation was the biggest thing in calming down and ultimately stopping my panic attacks. Meditation helped to lessen and overall avoid the attacks. But what happens when I'm in the middle of an attack or feel one coming on? I get a glass of water (or anything to drink). I drink, and focus on it traveling through my body. It sounds insane, I know, but it works.

15. Natalie Deaton

Natalie Deaton New Member

Panic attacks are no joke. I have a heart condition that is not life threatening, but can be terrifying and set off a combination of anxiety and panic that is crippling. Stopping a panic attack is a matter of accepting what is causing the attack, and realizing that you will make it through the fear. When I have a panic attack it can cause dizziness and sweating as well as heart flutters that are terrifying beyond any nightmare I have ever had. The trick is to stay in the moment, breathe deeply and realize that no matter how frightening the attack is, it will pass.

16. Kay

Kay New Member

I get panic attacks from time to time, sometimes even at night when I am asleep. It's really scary, especially the night ones because I wake up and my heart is beating so hard and I feel like I can't breath and I'm sweaty and dizzy. When I didn't know what it was it was so much more terrifying but now that I know it's a panic attack I just focus on my breathing and wait for it to pass. It helps when I put my head between my knees and take deep breaths.

17. EZREAL

EZREAL New Member

I remember, my first panic attack happened when I was still working in the city. I was too busy at all and had no time to take care of myself. I have no proper diet, no exercise and I take too much caffeine just to stay up at work. And because I have a long hour of commute every day I couldn’t get enough sleep. The nature of my work is very complex and complicated. My boss is intimidating and I was bullied by one of my workmate. I always feel exhausted. I know I was suffering with anxiety and depression, I just didn’t know that it can lead to panic attack.

One time, our company held a two-day event for local investors. Because it was only a two day process, everything should be in place before the deadline. The pressure is on me because I was the one who has to attend to a lot of client; irate clients, demanding clients and clients who had no idea what they’re doing. And with them are loads of documents and problem for me to process. I felt suffocated and exhausted to the point where I start feeling pain on my chest. My heart starts palpitating and I couldn't breath properly. My hands are shaking, I couldn’t even sign the document and my cold sweats are dripping all over my body. My head is spinning and I thought I was going to faint. I went to the bathroom and stayed there for like 10 minutes or more. I thought it was a heart attack. I didn’t know it was a panic attack until I searched the net.

I feel where you coming from @Liezeliezel. The very first advice I can give you, is never take medication unless prescribed by the doctor. I knew that attending a therapy such as Cognitive behavioural therapy and Exposure therapy for panic disorder can be expensive, so I just did some of the tips I read from some website. I’ve studied more about panic, anxiety and depression. Just what @Bloomsie said, I familiarised myself on what triggers my panic attack. It was hard but I still tried to maintain a healthy diet and have enough sleep and exercise. At some point, I practice deep breathing and some relaxation technique. And I practice focusing with the idea that everything will pass. But the best remedy you can do and the most effective advice I can give you is to, recollect yourself by praying to God and spending some time with the people you love. Godbless.

18. EarlAlexander

EarlAlexander New Member

Calm yourself down – Similar to point two, calming yourself down shuts off the mechanism that causes anxiety attacks. Calming yourself down ends the stress response. Then it’s just a matter of time until the body uses up or expels the remaining stress hormones.

The more you calm yourself down, the faster the anxiety attack will end and the sooner you’ll feel better. Keep in mind that the physiological, psychological, and emotional changes resulting from a minor stress response last for approximately a few to ten minutes. A high degree stress response can last for twenty to thirty minutes or more. You want to keep yourself calm until the body recovers from the active stress response. This means you may feel the physiological, psychological, and emotional changes in the meantime, but that they will all end as the body recovers from the active stress response.

Calming yourself down is another sure way to end, control, and prevent anxiety attacks.

19. montakun

montakun New Member

The first time I had a panic attack, I was in my room doing something mundane and thinking about what I'm supposed to be doing with my life. It just hit me that I'm doing nothing and then, bam! It was like a basketball was thrown at me and it felt like I was drowning. My heart was racing and it was hard to breathe. I read about controlling these attacks by doing breathing exercises. Inhale for 7 sec, hold for 4 sec and then exhale for 8 sec. I had to do it a few times until I felt calm. It's not easy controlling these attacks , but you have to find a way to manage, find a way on how to calm yourself. I found that distraction works for me. I listen to calm classical music while doing the breathing exercise and when I feel it's somewhat working, I then keep my hands busy. I bought a fidget toy to distract me and help me calm down.

20. Nichole

Nichole New Member

They can creep up on you when you least imagine, or when you are in a situation that brings up fear, like public speaking or driving in inclement weather. Unfortunately, because stopping panic attacks can seem challenging, they can also cause you to limit your activities to avoid future episodes, and impact your relationships with others.

Picture the place that evokes happiness and peace. It might be a beach, a garden, or at home with your family. If you can safely close your eyes, that's even better. Feel the warmth of the sun on your face, notice the breeze through your hair, and listen to the waves coming into the shoreline.