IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

If Jesus was God...

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality' started by brianphil, Jan 27, 2017.

1. brianphil

brianphil New Member

Sometimes I ask myself, if Jesus was God, then why did He pray to God? Just curious.

2. Andrew Sabaratnam

Andrew Sabaratnam New Member

Another question also asked along the similar lines is, was Jesus then praying to Himself?

When Jesus, the eternal Son of the triune God, took upon Himself sinless humanity He also took on the form of a servant, giving up His heavenly glory. As the God-man, He had to learn obedience to His Father as He was tempted by Satan, accused falsely by men, rejected by His people, and eventually crucified.

His praying to His heavenly Father was to ask for power and wisdom. His praying showed His dependence upon His Father in His humanity to carry out His Father's plan of redemption. Jesus also set for us an example on how we are to behave and act towards God, as His humble servants and pilgrims in this world.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    Beachgurl87 likes this.
  3. Beachgurl87

Beachgurl87 New Member

That is a very good question! So many people no doubt are asking the same thing. I wouldn't mind hearing some of the answers. I have often wondered myself. Someone once said that it's like when you get married. The husband and the wife come together to become one. They still have their individuality, they are still their own person. But, they are joined together, connected in a way that makes them one. They are in agreement with each other. Hope that makes sense.

4. engrlanre

engrlanre New Member

Yes many religious person have always find it difficult to believe that Jesus is God as claimed by some christian. The question is "Can Jesus be man and God at the same time as the bible made us to believe?

5. evah_w

evah_w New Member

The hardest thing about explaining it is that we only have the Bible to defend the Bible. I like beachgurl87's answer comparing it to marriage. The first time we see any evidence of God's triune nature is in Genesis, when He says " Let us make man in our image" in this passage He is clearly speaking to others who He considers equals. another passage of interest is John 1:1, 2 " In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God. He was with God in the beginning." a bit confusing I must admit, but these two passages possibly shed some light.