IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Illustrator is better than Photoshop in designing logos

Discussion in 'Computer Graphics' started by pnjoro, Jun 21, 2017.

1. pnjoro

pnjoro New Member

Photoshop and illustrator are both softwares that can be used to design logos. However, when designing user interfaces, Illustrator can provide many advantages that Photoshop cannot. Firstly, using Illustrator here makes the job a lot faster - there's the obvious resizing points. Illustrator is also great for creating reusable components. Using the symbols panel in Illustrator, you can create a library of icons and form elements that can be reused and manipulated many times over.This not only speeds up your workflow but will also make your design more consistent.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  2. tin

tin New Member

Eh. Maybe.

I had to use both Photoshop and Illustrator often in high school. I always found Illustrator to be way more frustrating and time-consuming than Photoshop. Maybe I'm biased, since I had had more experience with Photoshop and similar programs before I used Illustrator. But even after learning Illustrator, I feel little to no need to go back to it. Illustrator might have some advantages, but I personally prefer Photoshop.

3. chekdn

chekdn New Member

On the contrary, in my case, Photoshop is more frustrating than Illustrator when it comes to logo designing. I have decided not to even use Photoshop for logo designing since I am not comfortable with it that way. However, I do use Photoshop for editing of photos. I can easily create a logo with Illustrator but the same logo would give me headache if I were to use Photoshop.

Besides, I think Photoshop wasn’t meant for creating of logos, though it has several functions which could be used for creating logos. Illustrator was meant for this and I believe you are yet to explore it, hence your frustration. Watch some real videos concerning Illustrator online and you would be surprise.

4. Decypher7

Decypher7 New Member

You're complicating the two softwares, because they're different, one for each specific functionality, though they can be interchanged, but it boils down on preference and work spec. but as a graphic designer you can't do without knowing the two applications, because you will be dealing with vectors(Illustrator) and manipulations/editing(Photoshop).
    So you see, you can't compare the both, because they have different functionality, although not really different, because a good Photoshop expert like me (*winks ) can design vector based works on Photoshop, except the client wants it in AI format, because i really love Photoshop.
    But as a graphic designer you really need to get handy with both, because they are some works that may require you make use of Adobe Illustrator, it won't be really good to hear that someone who calls himself a graphic designer can't make use of AI. So you need to learn both.

5. Dieter

Dieter New Member

First I would acknowledge: Yes, Illustrator is better than Photoshop in designing logos.

Why?

Because Adobe illustrator is a software which is producing vector-based graphics. Vector based graphics can be resized (enlarged) without losing quality and pixeling any graphic.