IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is cheerleading a form of sport?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by ellalita, Jan 6, 2018.

1. ellalita

ellalita New Member

School games are usually incomplete without the presence of cheerleading teams. Cheerleaders are also usually dedicated to this activity, as shown in the seriousness that they take it with.

Given that most cheerleaders are usually not part of the teams that play, and with the vigour with which they cheerlead, (e.g dancing) can it be classified as a sport?

2. djtrain

djtrain New Member

I don't think it will qualify as a sport. It lacks the drama and the excitement which only a sport can bring. As spectators, we want actions that are adrenalin-pumping, thrilling movements, sudden actions that make us to watch more. Sports can make people hang onto their seats as events folded and that anticipation of what is going to happen next that makes our imagination go wild is absent in cheerleading.

Back in the early days, people cheer in triumph over the victorious ones and it’s all about who is the strongest, who is the fastest, who is the bravest and it is satisfying to watch the hardship player endures before winning. Events worth watching are what spectators want. I think cheerleading is good for entertainment and showmanship. Actually it is fun and likewise entertaining to see bunch of guys make their own show. I find it a pleasure to see the way teams twist and turn and do professionally choreographed movements. But aside from that there really is a factor missing that only a true sport event can fulfill. Countries have sports that is popular and close to their hearts and can relate to it. British have Cricket, Norwegians like Ice hockey, Americans love Baseball and Basketball, and Kiwis like Rugby. I cannot think of a country that will relate to cheerleading.

Although cheerleading has its rigors and risk, I believe it will not fit as a sports category. Granting that the maneuver and stunts in routines are dangerous and need hours and hours of practice to perfect, still it would be performance kind of thing. But as cheerleading has been improving and as teams try to put it on a next level, maybe someday it will be included on sports event worldwide. But until then, I will always be a fanatic of good, old, sports.

ellalita likes this.
  3. baasil999

baasil999 New Member

I wouldn’t say it’s a sport, because no one wins or loses in cheerleading, but I would say cheerleading is kinda like a workout. It burns calories, and its fun. And also, cheerleading cannot be considered as a part of a sport it isn’t directly linked to any sport.