IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is College a Waste?

Discussion in 'Education' started by nysleek, Aug 14, 2015.

1. TheArticulate

TheArticulate New Member

College was a very important part of how I ended up in the career I'm in today. I was lucky and graduated with very little debt, and managed to find a job immediately after graduating that I really enjoy. This job, of course, is the result of the great connections I made during my time in college. It was great spending several years around people who had the same passion for filmmaking that I did, and the friendships I made there are something I wouldn't trade anything for.

2. Mortemonee

Mortemonee Member

College is never a waste, some college go through some pupil while others pupil goes through college, having a degree is the best thing for the new generation because with your riches and wealth without a degree is waste but a degree with out riches is never a waste

3. Skysnap

Skysnap New Member

I think a lot is dependent on how you view education. If you look at it from the perspective of getting job, then it can be waste if you fail to get the job. If you choose to do a business then you should consider learning real world stuff instead of college. Because college degree is less likely to be usable when you want to make money. Here raw knowledge of handling people is very much important. College degree in such context is going to be wasted. It all comes down to what you do with your education. Some people struggle all their life and some just make use of what they have learned.

4. Makalai Johnson

Makalai Johnson New Member

It depends on the person , and what their niche is. Some people go to college right after high school, and go all the way up to a masters just to work at the mall or a fast food restaurant. Whereas one individual may land a job in their field right after. I think it depends on the school you receive your education from, and networking. Others don't want to end up in debt or find that it is not for them, and make a living without the education. Which now-a-days, this world is full of rich people who even dropped out of high school.

5. SheriS

SheriS New Member

It depends on what idea's you have in mind for your career. You can start a business flipping car's or houses, or start a chatline. But any way you look at it, you're going to need some money to start a business. So, a college degree is a great place to start off. Even if it's just a community college. (Which can be paid for in government grant's).
    Now a day's most of the job's are work from home. A lot of them require a degree. So, if I were you, I would figure out what it is that you want to do for a living, and then, figure out the best way to get to that goal. If you want to be a millionaire, most of them at least took English in college, so that they could write well.
    It's also important to remember that most millionaires own their own businesses. Most businesses don't even break even their first year. So, you're going to need some collateral to back it up. Either from working or a loan.
    Also, they're are ways around the debt of education. If you google "cheap online colleges", you'll find a list of colleges that can be covered with a government grant. College can be a lot of fun, learning about different subject's and meeting new people.
    So don't be so quick to write it off.

6. awilson92

awilson92 New Member

Mostly, I would say about 85% of my opinion is that college is a waste, however I did learn life lessons while in college. I wouldn't change the path i took even though i had to drop out without a degree to show for it, but if I had another life to live, was a different person then no, I wouldn't go to college. I would have been scouting out more hands on work for example learn electrical work and move up through the ranks of that profession. College is very much a cushy bubble that was very unpleasant when it popped and left me out in the world for the first time to fend for myself.

7. Pady

Pady New Member

You are totally right. In my opinion College is totally waste of time. I am a sound engineer now but I was commerce students. All we have a lot of subject like,
    Financial Accounting and Auditing, Export Marketing, Computer Systems and Applications,
    Financial Accounting and Auditing, Direct and Indirect Taxation,
    Business Economics and many more which I didn't remembered:p:p:p

But they don't have practical uses when we go to do the job.

8. pl1726

pl1726 New Member

never. learning and gaining knowledge is never a waste

9. Jaden

Jaden New Member

I know we all have different views when it comes to this subject, but there is no running away from the facts: A lot of the wildly successful people in this world dropped out of college. These are some of the richest, healthiest and happiest people we know. Conventional wisdom would state that without proper education you cannot succeed and yet here they are.

When we consider the other end of the spectrum, we have some very well educated people with degrees falling off the end of their business cards and yet some of these people are so broke and forever struggling to find jobs. This tells me one thing - there is something more going on when it comes to success than just going to school to get a good education!

10. Aditya tripathi

Aditya tripathi New Member

Absolutely right.

11. shanicx

shanicx New Member

The fact that collage might not be for everyone dose not make it a waste of time. Please let our youngsters not only see that Bill gate dropped out of college,But they should also see that Bill gate did not roam the streets and spending all of his time playing games to be come a billionaire. He worked hard and taught him self and Spent time on researches.