IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is it just me or is country not what it used to be?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mama2boys, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Mama2boys

Mama2boys New Member

I love listening to country music, it's relaxing. But lately the new country music coming out, well just seems to be losing the country touch! Maybe I'm just old school, but I love Shania Twain, Tim McGraw, John Micheal Montgomery, you know the singers who could reach your emotions and feelings just by singing a song.
    I miss songs like "Have your boots been under", "Man, I feel like a woman", "Don't take the girl", "Too much Fun", and "Fishing in the dark". Those songs touched my heart and my emotions, plenty more but don't want to bore you with a long list.
    What songs do you miss? Who was your favorite country singer?

2. AimlessDreamre

AimlessDreamre Member

I thought I was the only one who thought that! Country has definitely changed...I think it's becoming more like pop. I think that's one major reason why I don't really listen to the mainstream/new country artists because they just don't sound country to me. I love old school country like Loretta Lynn, Waylon Jennings, and others like them. I also like Alan Jackson, George Strait, Shania Twain, Faith Hill, Martina McBride, Sara Evans, Brooks 'N Dunn and all the other greats. For the artists that would be considered more 'today's' music, I like Brad Paisley, Toby Keith, Carrie Underwood, Blake Shelton, and Cassadee Pope. They still have a really genuine country feel to their music and that's what I love most about them, among the others that are out there like that too, of course.

I miss songs like "The Thunder Rolls," "Gone Country," and "Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man." Old school country will always be the best country, in my opinion.

3. Carmen Lorenzo

Carmen Lorenzo New Member

This country is still the same however the people have changed. I find that there are many morals that are lost and need to be taught again.
    I wish that young people would respect their elders more as it's often sad to see young people mistreat and disrespect their elders. This sort of teaching needs to happen at home while the children are young and parents need to enforce that by teaching the young children that it's not appropriate to yell even in their homes.

4. ReddOnMyHead

ReddOnMyHead New Member

I am so glad that someone else feels the same way that I do! I have been listening to country music for about 20+ years, and the music now is nothing like it used to be. Not only does it seem the music itself has drastically changed, the type of people singing the music has changed as well. I know this is a different time era, but it's such a dramatic change that I wouldn't even considerate it the "same" type of music. The best way to describe the music now, would be to say it's more "pop country". It seems like the artists now are more worried about singing a "catchy" song, than making actual music. Even though it is so different, I do like some of today's music. I would just much rather prefer the country music 10 years ago.

5. Tiile24

Tiile24 New Member

I realized this sometime back but haven't seen someone mention it on any platform. Oh yhh, it's changing!! I don't really get it why. Probably they are revolutionarizing it; as they say "everything is subject to change". But I don't think the same goes for "Counry Music". Certain things just can't be changed: what makes them interesting is a "cultural significance" of them, which just shouldn't be changed.
    Pop Music is slowly infiltrating into Country Music and this must stop!!