IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is it okay to mix religions?

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality' started by sarasnake99, Dec 13, 2016.

1. sarasnake99

sarasnake99 New Member

This is a question I've been wondering about for quite a while, and one that I haven't seen too much discussion about. The practice of mixing elements of separate religions is called syncretism, and from what I've read, it generally involves combining several beliefs from one religion with several from another- often one that is entirely unrelated. Obviously, this is more easily done with polytheistic (multiple-deity) religions, as one can just incorporate certain deities into their own pantheon, but monotheistic (single-deity) combinations exist as well. People's opinions are very divided on whether this is okay or not, and the consensus seems to differ drastically based on what religions are being mixed- and the fact that many religions insist that theirs is the "one true path" creates a lot of extra resistance. Personally, I'm undecided- I think that people should be able to believe in whatever they want, but some combinations just don't make any sense to me. What are your thoughts? I'd be interested to hear them!

2. bunmmybukky

bunmmybukky New Member

How come that one will possible? Though some people do that may be because when they have problem and they believe that in the religion that practice there is no solution.
    But it is not proper to be mixing religious since the base of each religions are not the same thing. For example, I did not believe you can can see a good born again to mix his or her christian faith with Muslim faith or with any traditional religious. I don't think that one is possible.

3. classic456

classic456 New Member

Hello

Well, I've studied and practiced a few religions here and there, and I think that by syncretism we mean just to stablish similarities between religions or beliefes, as well as differences, wether they are polytheistic or montheistic (even tough as you mention, Polytheistic ones seem to be easier to stablish a syncretism) But beyond the deities their worship or not, you can aslo stablish a syncretisim in the philosophical aspects of different religions, have you ever heard a saying that says "All roads lead to rome" in my opinion, that also applies to religions, the goal is the same, what changes is he path to achieve it.

As for mixing religious concepts, it can be done, I dont think its harmful, however, you need to take into consideration that each religion also involves a traditional or cultural aspect from where it developed, but I think that if you manage to put those aspects aside, and just focus on the teachings and philosophical aspects rather than the traditions, you should be okay.

4. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Member

We don't have a mixed religion. We believe in God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. God the Father and the Son are One in purpose but are two separate distinct body of Spirit. I don't think if I would have in a mixed religion I would also have a mixed thoughts and beliefs which could confuse me. Our religion is not a religion of confusion. It gives us the truth, the gospel truth which God has taught us, which Jesus has relayed to His Apostles and disciples. Since it was introduced by Jesus Christ several hundred years ago, it is still the same in the present dispensation of time. There is not change except the time elements. But what had been taught anciently, it is already being taught presently unless it has been fulfilled by Jesus Christ during His earthy mission.

5. Energysage97

Energysage97 New Member

Yes, everyone should learn and take from the good parts of every religion. It also shows tolerance and respect to the religions. I don't think it betrays your religion in any way, just my two cents.