IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is it Possible to live without TV?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Germain MUHIRWA, May 29, 2015.

1. Germain MUHIRWA

Germain MUHIRWA New Member

It is very possible indeed! Last week I heard that the POPE did not watch TV for 25 years, and many may say no, it is not possible. I myself have not watched TV for now almost 4 years. It may be different from person to person for instance in my case as I spend much time on computers, I think that I do not necessarily need to watch TV. I am not saying that you should not but sometimes it is very important to watch TV when there are some Breaking News somewhere or for big events especially!

joanne11 and Jack Kelvin like this.
  2. supersentai69

supersentai69 New Member

Yeah, same with me, I only watch TV for the NFL, for news and such Facebook give me all I want to know. If in the past people live just fine whitout any device I don't see the problem, rigth now alredy made the jump to PC and smartphones.

Jack Kelvin likes this.
  3. Anonymux

Anonymux New Member

Is it really possible? Hard to say, since nowadays we have the PCs with high-speed internet to almost fully replace it. Everything I need, like shows, news, football matches, etc., I can watch online with no problems. So, yes, I suppose you can say that you can live without TV as long as you have a device with internet access to replace it.

Jack Kelvin likes this.
  4. allcubes

allcubes New Member

for me no! i watch 75-80% of the day tv and have to 60% my iphone in my hand so no!!! :(

Jack Kelvin and 9999 like this.
  5. Shari Paclipan

Shari Paclipan New Member

Yes, it is possible to live without watching television, even during the days before cellphones and computers. I myself am living proof.

When I was 5 years old, our TV broke and we never bothered to get a new one until I was 12 years old. So for 7 years I literally lived without a television in our house. You could say television was never part of my childhood.

I am 20 years old now and have a functioning TV, but I still do not watch it anyway because everything is on the internet nowadays.

Jack Kelvin and thebindicator like this.
  6. Iradread

Iradread New Member

It is very much possible to live without TV. Growing up we had strict rules on TV. We could only watch certain shows and no more than 2-3 hours a day. Majority of the time we played outside with friends which in my opinion was more fun. Other times we read books or played board games.

At the age of 20 I got my first apartment. I bought a TV only because it didn't seem right not to have one. Turned out to be a waste of money considering it literally just sat in my living room and collected dust. Computers were my forte. Chat rooms were a big thing at the time so I spent hours chatting it up with people from all over. Even now I spend way more time on the computer then I ever do watching TV.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    bipin and Jack Kelvin like this.
  7. lachris15

lachris15 New Member

I think that you can live without TV you just need to figure out another way to occupy your time. I would not necessarily replace it with internet because it basically the same concept and you can watch TV online. I understand you need to keep up with current events but you can listen to the radio for that. You can also get an newspaper. Everyone forgets that they still make them but they have everything that you need to know in them.

bipin likes this.
  8. Graciela Rosario

Graciela Rosario New Member

For an extravagant person, he may want to have TV and will really be desperate to have it, he may like to watch a lot of shows, he may not be busy with his life, so watching TV shows is what makes him spend his time. For a person who is busy with works, kids, and other tasks; he may not need the TV and would use it frequently. There are fun things on the TV, so maybe someone will really need a TV.

9. Summer695

Summer695 New Member

It is possible to live without watching TV. There are many others fun activities that you can do rather than watching TV. You can read, write, use the computer and play games.
    Also, if you are a goal oriented person, hard worker or you have a busy day, watching television is not something that you will have the time for so you will be living without television.
    Additionally, if you are living in a family that doesn't really have much money to afford a television you will be living without watching TV.

10. painter1

painter1 New Member

Ha Ha I dont thank so. Not with out some kind of tv show or something to watch. I thank that it has helped alot of people learn alot of things that we didn't no alot before. Besides its great entertainment fir those late nights.

11. Lythium

Lythium New Member

Of course it's possible. I have not owned a television since 2008. Being that I was on a strict budget at the time, I had a choice of purchasing a new television or a new personal computer. Since I spent most of my time on computers to begin with, it seemed like the logical choice for me. With programs like Netflix, I watch television shows on demand if I choose (Bones and The Walking Dead in particular). However, most of my free time is spent gaming online, online college classes, research and posting on social media. Eventually I may purchase a television but for now I will settle for my computer with supersize monitor to keep me busy.

12. tirex182

tirex182 New Member

Perhaps, because of the type of person is different . Some are happy to continue watching TV and vice versa . For health , better hours watching TV in less and more active . Because our bodies can not continue to sleep . That will only add to the problem . Especially if he is a man who likes to eat , snack .

13. ray

ray New Member

content

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  14. BatmanNight

BatmanNight New Member

I haven't watched TV in a year.Most of my time goes into playing pc games and watching videos on youtube.

15. chiyoko10

chiyoko10 New Member

A big YES! The generation today is more on computers. If they want videos, then they just go on youtube. If they want entertainment and fun, they also go to youtube and facebook for playing games. Almost everything in this generation lies to the computers. So as long as there is computer, then to live a life without TV is possible.

joanne11 likes this.
  16. hhelenak

hhelenak New Member

It is impossible to me. I just love living with TV so much I couldn't imagine without it. Sometimes I even can't sleep without TV playing (quietly, but still...). I think I can say that I'm TV-addict, I love to watch TV shows all the day when I'm home and I have oppurtunity to watch TV at work also, so I do that also. I know it's very bad and I should do something about it, but I just love it too much... To be real I think it is possible to live without TV but it's very hard.

17. ace

ace New Member

i stop watching TV from last 6 year lol. Cause i think i have a master entertainer then a TV. For me YOUTUBE is the best source of entertain.And like whatever i need to watch and listen i get as my demand . so i not need a TV. ha ha.

18. nerdieeds

nerdieeds New Member

I believe it is possible nowadays. I have a computer at home and I rarely watch TV. I almost use my laptop to watch TV shows like The Walking Dead and Grimm. I can also watch evening newscast on YouTube. When I don't have a laptop, I make sure to tune in to the evening news and the late evening newscast which is necessary for me to get the feel of the current events.

19. sumi

sumi New Member

The answer is yes and no. No because I am addicted to news but not much into the serials and dramas. I can live without watching movies, listening to the music but news is an important part of my TV watching.

Lately, the way the TV channels are presenting the news may lessen my interest though because they are the reason behind most of the bad message reaching to public about non existing intolerance. Our television repeats the news so much, which does nothing but creates confusion.

Finally, I can live without TV but I will certainly miss it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  20. i-Writer

i-Writer New Member

Yes, you can live without TV in this generation because there are a lot of alternative ways to get information and watch many events by just using a smartphone or a computer. But if you are saying that we include all those things it is still possible to live without of things. humans are living in the pass thousand decades without this thing, that's why we can live without those things literally. But with the people of this generation it would be boring without those things.