IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is it Possible to live without TV?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Germain MUHIRWA, May 29, 2015.

1. drdues

drdues New Member

As a minimalist and a supporter of simple living, I can assure you, that living without a TV is indeed possible.

During my teenage years, I got overwhelmed by the amount of time TV and mainstream media was eating out of my schedule. No matter how much I thought to limit the use of TV and Internet (basically Social Media), I just happened to get further into it. They both seemed inevitable. But, then I started finding alternatives. I started reading books and going out to see nearby places. The more time I spent on books and real social interaction, the better I found myself becoming. I also wasn't craving TV and Internet anymore. In fact, I got so busy later that I barely had time to give to any of these. My grades improved and I felt more confident in myself.

I do use Internet nowadays for the purpose of finding new information. Also trying to earn some extra money online in my leisure time. However, I don't feel any inclination to watch TV or even open it for myself anymore. So, there you have it. If you are really dedicated and want to quit it, you can. And like me, you can also live without it. It is possible.

jeffreyjose87 likes this.
  2. drdues

drdues New Member

As a minimalist and a supporter of simple living, I can assure you, that living without a TV is indeed possible.

During my teenage years, I got overwhelmed by the amount of time TV and mainstream media was eating out of my schedule. No matter how much I thought to limit the use of TV and Internet (basically Social Media), I just happened to get further into it. They both seemed inevitable. But, then I started finding alternatives. I started reading books and going out to see nearby places. The more time I spent on books and real social interaction, the better I found myself becoming. I also wasn't craving TV and Internet anymore. In fact, I got so busy later that I barely had time to give to any of these. My grades improved and I felt more confident in myself.

I do use Internet nowadays for the purpose of finding new information. Also trying to earn some extra money online in my leisure time. However, I don't feel any inclination to watch TV or even open it for myself anymore. So, there you have it. If you are really dedicated and want to quit it, you can. And like me, you can also live without it. It is possible.

3. drdues

drdues New Member

Same here, Iradread. Being away from TV for so long and getting busy in real life has now made me completely disenchanted with Television.

4. Lillymunyua

Lillymunyua New Member

Yes, it is possible to live without a TV because, it is not a basic need and one can do without it. In the past, people did not know about TV and life went on. So even nowadays, TV is just a luxury and not everyone can afford having it, especially those who come from a poor background.

Nevertheless, nowadays there are better electronics than TV which include computers and mobile phones, which keeps one busy and can be used in a wide range of activities rather than a TV, which can only be used for limited purposes. Personally, I am too busy to watch TV and I take any free time to relax.

njigs likes this.
  5. DenisMNE

DenisMNE New Member

Yes, it is quite possible to live without TV.
    Think about generations before us who did not have that opportunity.
    The world was smaller for them, but I believe they lived happier lives.
    I, personally, own a TV in my room, besides the one in living room and I barely watch it.
    I, usually, rely on my phone and computer to get information and watch movies/shows.

6. lenmanalang

lenmanalang New Member

Definitely. It is possible for us to live without TV's just like what our ancestors had experienced. They lived not just longer but healthier because they were free from radiations that can affect our health from those TV's and other devices. And in fact, they even had better childhood than some of us because nowadays, children are so attached with the modern technology that they don't have the chance to play outside and have fun with other kids because of those gadgets and TV's.

7. Kim90

Kim90 New Member

8. jess7kelly

jess7kelly New Member

It is possible to live without tv. I actually did live without tv for about four months. I was living in a house that I was fixing up and could not have a tv. I found it very difficult in the beginning to not watch tv. It was a habit of mine to wind down at the end of the day watching tv. After not watching tv for months, once I was able to watch tv again I found that I didn’t watch it very much. I had found other ways to spend my time. Watching tv is a habit, it might take awhile to get used to not watching it but you really can.

9. j_bar_

j_bar_ New Member

It is very much possible to live without TV series. In fact, I encourage you to try it sometime.

10. Ingabo

Ingabo New Member

It is very possible when you have your phone with you. I mean you can basically access everything showing on TV from your phone; movies,news,music.

It is important though for those moments when you just want a really big screen, sit back and get lost in say Thor Ragnarok.

Kieranlewix likes this.
  11. Cindy Christmas

Cindy Christmas New Member

Some people can live without TV. I was told that most Amish people do, but I know that I can not live without TV.

12. Malomo okiki

Malomo okiki New Member

We have a small kid at home and we made a decision to not have TV at home until our child is atleast 5 years. We are able to spend much time with each other and have lots of happy moments. We goto a movie once in a while for entertainment. A restaurant twice a month when I want my wife to take a break from her daily routine.

The bottom line is we have time for everything and everyone by not having a TV at home. Important news that affect us in anyway will however reach us in some form. Like the demonetization news which was shared to us on SMS, whatsapp and newspapers, etc.

Juno Jayn likes this.
  13. Mavic123456

Mavic123456 New Member

I don't watch TV anymore, but I watch youtube and other streaming site. Do those count? Anyway, the watching on a television set is no longer appealing to me, because the shows are mostly soap opera (no offense to those soap opera watchers), but I just don't like them.

However, if the TV will give me National Geographic shows or Discovery channel, I might change my mind. :D

14. yhanne

yhanne New Member

for me. it is possible to live without TV but without smartphone, no way...Because s martphone is may alternative devise to watch videos, drama and movies...

15. ajahcuizon

ajahcuizon New Member

Before, people could not live without TV but since most of the people have access to internet nowadays, they tend to choose to read news and watch shows on the internet instead. I, personally, could live without the TV as long as there is wifi and a phone in my hand, yes I could live without TV. I believe that every person should have a one way of a recreational activity.

16. Bebak12

Bebak12 New Member

It not hard if you use the internet or another alternative like PC, mobile, etc. But if you think about watch online then isn't it consider the same as watching TV. Nowadays, people can watch anywhere on the internet. Even, I only watch 10-20% TV and 80% with the internet. It is considered the same as TV. Even we can watch the selected program anytime. But if we also exclude them as well then, it literally harder to change our natural habit but it's almost impossible. In the present time, not only these things are used for entertainment but also for every single work. So, if you think that way it hard for daily routine.

Juno Jayn likes this.
  17. Reyhan Williams

Reyhan Williams New Member

In this current generation, I would have to argue that the typical person would be able to comfortably live without watching TV. This is due to the fact that there are countless forms of entertainment mediums, such as reading, that have been around for generations.

Despite this, I must say that resisting such urges may prove quite difficult due to the decline in popularity of other forms of entertainment. To summarise, I believe it is most definitely possible, but it may be challenging.

18. jeffreyjose87

jeffreyjose87 Member

I agree with you. We can be able to live without television. Its just a matter of will and determination to do it.

19. Juno Jayn

Juno Jayn New Member

It's definitely possible. Whether or not it would be a good idea, though, can be debated. Some possible pros to cutting out television consumption could include less damage done to your eyes or being more productive, though, in this day and age, it can be hard to do. Many people have brought up the fact that when they were younger, they didn't have a television, but that's an entirely different circumstance. When we were children, we had no need to stay caught up on current events, politics, and potential threats. That was our parent's job. Mostly, anyway. We also got a lot of news from physical newspapers, magazines, and the like, which aren't as popular today.

I personally don't tend to watch TV and get my news and entertainment online, but if you don't have access to the internet, it could be a bad idea to stop watching television entirely. There are many who get their news from channels such as Fox and CNN and who can't access the internet, and while those both have online platforms, if you don't have access to the internet, that fact is useless.

My stance on this is that if your primary source of information is the television, while it would still be possible to do, cutting it out wouldn't be the best idea. If not, I say go for it! If you want to do it and there will be no negative effects of doing it, go for it.

20. Vu Duc Dung

Vu Duc Dung New Member

I think almost all people have the same idea with me about this topic, of course, YES. Nowaday, in modern life, we have another tool in which, we can search and find out almost programmes we can see on TV, it's internet. But using internet is good when we have high speed connection and good economic condition. By the traditional method, especially, with the old people, they love to hear and get all information on TV. So, only get a bit difficults but we still live without TV.