IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is it Possible to live without TV?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Germain MUHIRWA, May 29, 2015.

1. gabr1ela

gabr1ela Member

As I recall it is possible to live without TV, especially as many people are working day and night and have no access to television, so you can live like that.
    How I did not have a television time, I could not live even made me a lot better, it could have helped me time for myself.
    TV is an influence on us that in one day we will not be able to break. But I can say that these things can change and that works like a routine.

2. naruto100

naruto100 New Member

I guess it is hard for those who already in habit of watching TV regularly. If someone is hardly getting time for TV and he/she doesn't watch it regularly then yes it is possible for them to avoid it.

Otherwise for those who are in habit of it, it is like almost impossible to live without TV. If I talk about myself, then I am regular watcher of TV. So I don't think I can live without it. Thing can be change in special case though.

3. RaulSTARRR

RaulSTARRR New Member

Yes, in my case I didn't turned on the TV since Octomber. When you have a computer and a internet connection, it's easy without TV

4. Damon79

Damon79 New Member

It is most definitely possible to live without T.V., but to me it would be a crime aganist humanity and unethical. Why, you may say. Well first of all we have gotten accustom to watching T.V. programming during our free time. Movies and TV shows gives us new ideals and problem solving information that we may had we not watched, learned. So although being able to physically live with out T.V. is without a doubt possible. Living without T.V. today is just not going to happen for us, we want stand for it.

5. badbojus

badbojus New Member

Well I didn't watch tv for about 6 years now, I watch everything on my laptop, I chose what to watch, watch only those things I like :). Mostly I like to watch documentary and horror TV series. I love Sci-Fi and similar genres.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  6. knoll2knoll

knoll2knoll New Member

With the advent of latest technologies and developing situations round the globe, it is very difficult to live without T.V as it is the main source of providing changing situations while sitting inside your room. I think we must accept that we cannot stay away from this invention. :)

7. Andorphin

Andorphin New Member

Yes, it's definitely possible to live without TV. At least for me. I don't even watch it too much. Just when I see some interesting news and once in a while I'd watch a film. There are plenty of interesting activities to do out there that would replace TV in most aspects.

8. mariya94

mariya94 New Member

I believe that it is very possible to live without TV. With programs like Netflix, I can watch TV shows such as Breaking Bad and Shameless as well as newly released films. The advantage of Netflix is that I can watch any TV show at anytime I please. Netflix also allows me to rewatch these programs as many times as I want, as opposed to television, which only allows me to watch TV programs a limited amount of times. For this reason, I believe that it is possible to live without TV.

9. jomata

jomata New Member

I think it’s possible to live without TV .I lived without a TV for several years with my girlfriend and I loved it. We accomplished a lot together and we spent much of our time talking and not just sitting adjacent to each other viewing the screen. There a lot other tones of activities that on one can do besides watching TV, I used to read books as well as listen to some music, going for nature walks which I found to be very interesting.

10. Trayon Thomas

Trayon Thomas New Member

I believe that it is not possible to live without television at all. There are not to many activities that you can do outside and you will eventually get bored of it. You will soon want to sit down and want to relax and kick back to the television. Television is the only thing that makes me happy and I certainly couldn't live without it.

11. Kathyjj

Kathyjj New Member

It's definitely possible, we don't need TV to be alive and well, like we need food, sleep and sun. More and more people are getting fed up with technology and choosing minimalistic living, with no TV, no phones and no computers.
    I am not this extreme. I haven't owned a TV in many years now, but I spend quite a lot of time on my computer, which I use to watch movies and shows of my choice.

12. meerasandhya

meerasandhya New Member

Television shows and movies on National Channel Doordarshan during childhood days are nostalgic for a particular group of people and I am too lucky to belong to that group. Now with hundreds of channels available in our finger tips, one can choose any show of his preference. Yet, the charm of those ‘Doordarshan’ days will not return. Yes, people obsessed to TV soaps and news channels can’t live without this idiot box. But those people including me, who spent hours in front of a computer, prefer to watch movies and songs on net, as it is almost free of ads and we can watch any sequence as per our preference and time schedule. I have stopped watching television years ago.

13. Giovanni Perini

Giovanni Perini New Member

Yes, it's possible: I haven't watched it in a long time, more or less 20 years; I think it's boring, and if I wanna watch a movie that I like, I can buy a DVD or watch it in streaming, or look for something interesting on Youtube. Internet is better than TV, for me : I watch the news, and I can comment (you can't do it on TV), you can find open-minded people who have opinions that are different from the mainstream view (which is influenced by the media) so I can always learn something from them and they can learn from me; and I often use it for work, I'm a musician and producer, and I couldn't live without file-hosting websites, and when I need to communicate with artists who live in the other side of the world, it's great.

14. lazar

lazar New Member

Absolutely. I think it would be a same thing if you asked is it possible to live without Xbox or Sony Playstation. Someone is playing Xbox for 6 hours per day, someone 2, and someone not playing it at all. It's the same thing with tv. There are people who don't need tv and I think it's perfectly normal.

15. Anupama

Anupama New Member

Yes, it is possible to live without TV. When we were small, we didn't have TV and after our parents bought the TV, we were allowed only a few hours to watch it. We were fine. We had other things to do, other games to play.

Now also, there are days when I don't get time to watch TV. I am fine with it. We have many other things to do. Nowadays, life has become so busy that we don't even get time to relax, let alone watching TV or movies.

16. popcorncake

popcorncake New Member

Absolutely it is. I live without it even now. I haven't watched TV in little over 6 months, Why would I, When everything I need is available in the internet? I have watched every TV show and movie (that I have wanted to see) from internet for the last 2 years. Me keeping my TV didn't do anything else for me except rase my electricity bill, So that was a "no thank you" for me

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  17. Shivam Roopam

Shivam Roopam New Member

It is possible. Like most people of my generation, I have not been watching TV in ten years. Nowadays, people are more in control of what they watch, for how long, and when.

The question”what do you do every evening when you don't have a TV" is very hard, for I have not been in the same room as a TV in years. I usually work on my personal projects, read, spend time surfing the web add content to my blogs and or boards, write, draw, make music. When I want to do something more "passive", I watch videos related to my interests on YouTube, I play video games and when I eat and go to bed, I watch a show I love on my computer.

Let go of the TV.
    Most of the time, the content doesn't even interests you anyway.
    You can watch anything you want, for as long as you want and anytime you want off the internet.

18. Lakeyia

Lakeyia New Member

Hard to say if it is possible. We rely on so much when it comes to Tv and many other electronics. I think that we can as long as we have the internet, but if we don't have that then for many it will be really hard. We get everything from the internet and so we are depending on these items. We now have smart TVs that can get Netflix and surf the web so in my opinion maybe but there will be a lot to complain about.

19. Bakanyan

Bakanyan New Member

The things I wouldn't be able to live without are food, weather similar to earth (including air), shelter, water and probably clothes. I've quit watching TV for years now and I only watch it when someone insists. I do watch some stuff on my PC but that's limited and over-entertainment isn't good. I would have problems if someone or something completely takes away my PC, TV or any gadget but I'll get used to it in some time. So yes, it is completely possible to live without a TV. And honestly, there are millions that are still living without TV --- some like me, and many who cannot afford a TV.

20. Aman Samaiya

Aman Samaiya New Member

Its kind of true that the craze of TV's are gradually going down. The main reasons are the android mobile,internet, and computers which have taken over the tradition of TV.

Most people today watch their favorite shows and series online. As the generation of computers is growing ;live tv and online shows are becoming popular day-by-day.