IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is it Possible to live without TV?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Germain MUHIRWA, May 29, 2015.

1. Rahul Taware

Rahul Taware New Member

Indeed, It is not necessary to watch TV. I have internet connection and I feel it is not really necessary for me to watch tv because, all kind of news I want to watch I can get on internet. I can see and track news from many different sources and collect genuine information.

2. herdaybiesie

herdaybiesie New Member

I can definitely live without TV. When I was young i didn't watch TV for 2 years, and when we eventually got one it didn't use up to a year before we sold it. All does time i didn't watch TV, but still I had fun, I played football on the street with my friends and I get to mingle with a lot of people so it was definitely worth it.

3. luisalex456654

luisalex456654 New Member

Barely a year back, I moved house and began living all alone without precedent for decades. One of the main choices I made was that I wasn't going to have a television set, and I've not thought twice about it for a minute.

Home isn't only a spot to live - I work there as well. What's more, the spot I moved to, while not precisely what you could call remote, is somewhat off the beaten path. You can live without television in this era in light of the fact that there are a ton of option approaches to get data and watch numerous occasions by simply utilizing a cell phone or a PC.

So not having a television gave me one less motivation to stay in and succumb to separation. It has additionally spared me a considerable lot of cash. And also the permit charge, and the expense of the real hardware itself, there's no robust month to month membership to a link or satellite supplier.

4. hmary

hmary New Member

No!The truth is that we have been born at an era where we found televisions already in existence.I can't possibly start to imagine what I would do all day without a television,and I guess it would be worse at night.Televisions keep us so busy and occupied at the same time giving so much information about the world.And honestly,who would live without the entertainment offered by television channels?It's a no no for me.

5. HKNA1994

HKNA1994 New Member

There was a time when I couldn't even have meal without wanting TV, but as time went by technology has become more advance and cheap, most of the mobile phones, tablets and other electronics with a screen on the market can easily replicate the TV's functions. So most people don't even watch TV nowadays. And TVs that are on for sale these days doesn't even feels like TVs anymore because they are like enlarged computers with functions like 3D, web surfing, smart, etc., stuff like that.

I still watch TV, but not as I used too.

6. Tony16

Tony16 New Member

First, let me express my surprise that there are actually people out there that cannot do without TV. Personally, I don't see television as a thing I cannot put away. I can stay for years without it and won't feel for a moment that I am missing something. Throughout my days in the college I did not have TV in my hostel and I was fine. I only seldomly watch TV when on vacation at my family home.

We are now in April, sincerely, I haven't watch TV since this year and that does not mean much to me. As a matter of fact I don't even have one in my apartment, not that I cannot afford it. I use my computer instead and everything I'd have wanted a TV for I get easily from my computer. That said, I agree that TV could be useful in getting breaking news and for events, but eventually I still get the news and events from my computer.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  7. Sequiter

Sequiter New Member

I have a television in the kitchen and normally switch it on in the morning when having breakfast and at night when making dinner. Could I live without it? Of course I could. I could listen to music or set up the tablet or the computer to watch something online. The advantage of the television unlike the computer is that it is in a fixed place and does not get dirty like my computer or fall like a tablet. It also has the benefit of giving a variety of options to watch and bigger screen size. That does not mean I could not live without a television, it is just convenient for background noise.

8. KammiGal

KammiGal New Member

It's possible for me to live a little without the need of TV. I have always got my second favorite thing on the planet, the internet. I love that day and night and can watch movies on my computer DVD player. One time I went a whole week and a half without watching TV, but I was doing a lot of studying on the web and watching my movies on my computer between breaks.

9. Needwk50

Needwk50 New Member

Germain I do believe that it is possible to live without television, it would be difficult at first. There may be swearing and throwing of large objects, but it will pass. Eventually you can get to a place where television is not a priority, but a secondary notion.

Television is very addictive and I am surprised to read that you had not watched television in 4 years. That is a feat in itself, I would have to start small and work my way up to such an achievement. When you have broken the habit of watching television, the world opens up and you can choose to read, play games, look up things on the computer etc.

10. lushuNn

lushuNn New Member

Yes, I think it's very possible to live without tv. Most times I would catch up on t.v like on Fridays because if you watch it on mondays-thursday you would be not entertain anymore by that Friday. But if I have my PC I'm very entertain and wouldn't have to suffer bordem from reruns..So I think it's very easy to do.

11. Knitting

Knitting New Member

I used to have a couple of friends that didn't own a tv. They were a couple in their early thirties, and they said that when they first moved in together, they couldn't afford to buy a TV set, then as time went along, they just preferred their life that way.

I remember the first time I went to their home, it seemed strange that their living room wasn't dominated by a big tv screen, like most living rooms I've been to. But actually I bet they have a nicer, stronger home life and relationship as they spend their evenings talking to one another.

I'm not in contact with them anymore, so I can't say for sure, but I would guess that they still don't have a tv.

12. ibezsocial

ibezsocial New Member

The television watching experience has evolved since the early 1900's from a simple box with less than 100 lines of resolution to the most current 4k flat and curved screens televisions, and the screens are evolving exponetationally; projections point to 12k televisions in the market place by 2017.

The net effect has been great for the consumer, as we get the benefit of better television screens with clearer tuning than the previous decades for less cost. The majority of us are to young to relate to the time before television exsisted as we have been staring at these screens since early childhood.

Some of us have enjoyed TV programming that has gone from black white shows where actors had to be so much better at their craft do to the lack of explosions and special effects to thousands of channels to choose from, on almost any subject or topic imaginable.

However, there is a downward trend of less viewers each year, as people are abandoning the television and moving in the direction of mobile devices as an entertainment soucre with the aid of the internet's many information and program sources such as it's many social media and streaming sites. The current trend appears to be mobile entertainment on the go at your convenience.

In conclusion, I would have to say living without television is very plausible, living without entertainment maybe not so much. Living with or without television will likely depend on your definition, access, and relationship to television.

13. Mike2016

Mike2016 New Member

With how the internet is set up today, the need for a television has become virtually non existent for me. I use the computer a lot. Much of the things that I once watched on television can now be viewed via internet access. I still like television, but not the commercials. Now I can watch television shows and not worry about all the commercials involved. In addition to that, I can download shows and watch them later.

14. sharmist

sharmist New Member

It is possible to live without TV but it would be hard for me. Since I am disabled and retired, I would really miss it.

I enjoy watching Investigation Discovery. It is my favorite channel. In addition I enjoy reality TV very much. I guess Investigation Discovery is considered reality.

HGTV is another one of my favorites. I like shows like Fixer Upper and Flip or Flop.

15. bella556

bella556 Member

I think its possible not to watch TV and do with out it. The cost of the cable bill or having a dish is too expensive for a person living on a fixed income.
    I have not watched tv in a year which has been better for me for my state of mind. Not hearing negative comments about others in the news is a positive choice. The election where candidates provide comments of garbage is tiresome to hear all the time. I think tv should be a choice of having good news about a hero or a fire being put out with no one hurt. Tv should be informative with programing has a lot of truth in the programs.

16. Eldho

Eldho New Member

Of course, it is possible. In this new era of internet, you hardly need TV, when everything is out there on the internet. I barely watch TV now, maybe once in a week. The advantage of the internet over TV is, the info you get from the internet is much diverse and most of them are unfiltered.

17. Van Mondido

Van Mondido New Member

Personally, this is going to require some serious discipline. I remember a few months back, we lost our cable connection for about 5 days due to bad weather. We were calling the cable company everyday so we can get the service back. It took them almost an entire week to fix and it was longest week of our lives.

Now, of course living without T.V. can be done, but it our case it will have to be gradually done or we might go cold turkey. Ha!

18. cetacean

cetacean New Member

Yes, it is very possible to live without TV. People, including myself, do it everyday. Television and cable have degenerated to repeats and fake reality shows. It was becoming harder and harder to find a TV show or channel that would edify me and my life. Most of television now takes away from your life instead of edifying it. Not all TV is valueless, but most of it is a great waste of time. I find that if I really wanted to watch a classic TV show (because most of today's new shows are rehashed from the classics) I could pull it up on YouTube and enjoy myself.

19. John Leo

John Leo New Member

Yes it is possible. In my opinion, having a television is just something to keep you entertained, not being entertained does not mean not living. I myself does not totally recall when was the last time I watched something on TV but as far as I can remember, it's been 6 years since I've watched TV. Well, I don't even own one.

In addition, I suppose I have more important things to do than simply watch TV. I believe it's only an activity in futility sitting in front of that electronic box and feeding your brain with garbage. Nowadays, you don't actually need a television as long as you have a tablet or a smartphone and internet connection.

20. getnpaid

getnpaid New Member

lol, I basically don't anyway, I'm usually on my laptop. I only watch t.v to see what's going on in the news and I'm happy, besides my laptop I listen to music.