IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is It Really Possible to Build an Elevator to the Moon?

Discussion in 'Science' started by RhanzF, Feb 8, 2016.

1. RhanzF

RhanzF New Member

So I read an article and a news last year about Japan and other collaborating countries planning to build an elevator going up to the moon. This way, it's much easier for scientist to travel back and forth to the outer space to conduct further researches plus it's much less expensive than using rockets.

2. darkfran85

darkfran85 New Member

Elevator going up to the moon? wow that sounds interesting but what I really want to see is the first man on Mars, it's my dream.

3. iqmaldanial

iqmaldanial New Member

I think it's just impossible. Think about it. The moon is circling around Earth. It also rotates just like Earth. The Earth and the moon are both constantly moving.

HappyKoi likes this.
  4. Angel Howard

Angel Howard New Member

Scientifically, it would be very interesting to understand the dynamics of building an elevator to the moon. With the way technology and intelligence is steadily advancing, I'm quite sure that it's possible to beat all odds of gravity to make it possible. However, I personally would not want to take a ride on that elevator due to human errors. I don't doubt the intelligence of man but we must agree that human errors are prevalent and with that being said, I would not want to be stuck on an elevator if the power goes out. Who's going to rescue me, how would they rescue me, or even know if I'm stuck on the elevator? Beyond the fear of dealing with the voyage, I'm sure that going to the moon would be an unforgettable trip and an incredible experience of a lifetime. This would take school field-trips to another educational level which would end all space virtual reality. That would be very interesting discovery!

5. biege

biege New Member

It's currently impossible simply because the moon's rotation around the earth is elliptical. Check this video .
    Just imagine if you tie a rope to the moon and the other end to the earth, the rope will wind-up and both will collide.

Now, how can you make the impossible possible. The only idea I could think of is to setup a floating belt with bearing around the earth just like the belt you see on Saturn. The only difference is, the belt has to be made sturdy and solid enough to hold a tube that can be used to install an elevator, and then that tube extends all the way to the moon--this tube should be made collapsible just like a those tunnel tents so that it would extend or retract if the moon moves away or closer to the earth . You no longer have to put a ring on the moon simply because there's always one face of the moon facing the earth--if there's anything that you should install on the moon to support the elevator, it should be a pedestal bearing just like those stuff installed on tall buildings to minimize or prevent shocks from earthquakes.

6. Secre

Secre New Member

Apparently they are going to try; it should start in 2020. Whether or not it will be successful will be an entirely different matter. The cynic in me says this is doomed to fail, but hey, it wouldn't be the first time that science fiction has become reality.

7. Eliot

Eliot New Member

It won't be an elevator, just a route or a tunnel to get to the moon and back.