IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is lack of education the root cause of poverty?

Discussion in 'Education' started by kaydee, Jan 2, 2018.

1. kaydee

kaydee New Member

There are several causes of poverty. Countries with extreme poverty don't have proper health care services, food as well as education. One major factor that cauces poverty is that many people in developing countries are willing to work but are not given the chance therefore remain in poverty.

Women are often at higher risk than men to suffer from poverty as women are more likely to be paid lower wages than men performing in the same line of work. Women are also expected to take on child raising and are restricted from seeking employment in developing countries.

2. Karuhanga Robert

Karuhanga Robert New Member

Almost but not necessarily; having education doesn't guarantee that you've escaped the poverty trap. But having the working spirit, whether educated or not, can be one of the signs for a would-be poverty-free person.

Therefore, let's not always associate poverty with lack of education, as I've personally seen illiterate millionaires who've worked from scratch.

3. DingDong

DingDong New Member

It depends on several different factors, but yes - one of the root causes of poverty is the lack proper education.

In my country we have a lot of gypsies. Most of them a illiterate. Their whole way of living is so outdated that I have the feeling they still live in the 14th century. They don't feel the need to go to school and learn maths, let alone study new languages or go to college. Most of them barely make it to 8th grade. It is very common for gypsy families to have 6-10 kids here and they sustain themselves by stealing and getting benefits from the government.

There's plenty of jobs in my country, but employers don't want to hire them and the main reason for that is because they're unschooled. So, yes - lack of education is a major factor leading to poverty.

4. Mr Amugune

Mr Amugune New Member

We have no control of where we are born but we sure control where we end at. By not having any form of education does not make one poor. Some people struggle from scratch and they make it in life. They understand the value of work and they toil day and night.

Other people have the education but with all the certificates they are unable to live a stable life. Thus poverty is not necessarily caused by lack of education but by many factors which hinder personal and societal development

5. Claraviolet

Claraviolet New Member

Honestly, I don't believe that lack of education is the root cause of poverty. I believe people should be blamed for poverty. That sentence might be a bit ambiguous but many people don't know how to select proper leaders. They vote for people based on the religion, caste and many other things but not for the personality.

Even if that person, is really bad and known for several crimes, people are ready to keep him/her on the top. Honestly, I don't get that thinking at all. If anything, it's really difficult for me to understand. I do vote for people who promise good things for people (not unnecessary things like television and such but basic necessities like food and shelter). I really hope someday, people would realize their own mistakes. Until then, it's difficult to change anything.

6. Ouru

Ouru New Member

I strongly agree that lack of education is the root cause of poverty. For instance, as the world is turning into a global village, people from different races come together to help in driving development agenda. Communication is of essence in such occasion, communication barier will thus scare away investors in certain areas. This lowers the rate of development,leaving some people in extreme poverty.

7. napash

napash New Member

No! I have to disagree on this one. The lack of education is not the root cause of poverty. The definition and scope of education in your question is debatable but however you define it, I will still disagree with your pronouncement. I believe its not the lack of education per see, but the lack of opportunities - economic opportunities that is the cause. People need to produce in order to capitalize, but if their is no market for that, poverty will surely exists.