IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is playing video games a waste of time?

Discussion in 'Games' started by realriightty, Aug 4, 2017.

1. realriightty

realriightty New Member

I love games, but I can't help feeling I ought to be doing something more productive with my life. Is game playing a negative addiction or a useful way to spend a large proportion of my waking hours?
    To add up to that last question: Could I use my video games skills to my advantage?

Thank you!

2. javiondunn

javiondunn New Member

Naturally it would be considered a waste of one's precious time especially if that is what you intend to do all day or night after you get in from work. There is a time and place for everything and playing video games is certainly not a waste of time, its just the amount of time that one spends playing these games instead of doing something constructive

3. krious

krious New Member

Any form of hobby is a waste of time as long as it doesn't produce any money or assets. Unlike gaming Youtubers or E-sports competitors, videogames really can be considered as a waste of time. Despite that, the fact that an individual is willing to waste time in order to engage in it adds to the value it has. The memories and emotions a person can acquire from playing games is something so priceless and unique. As long as you don't regret doing it, it is not a waste of time.

There are studies that claim that gaming enhances reflexes as well as hand-eye coordination. There are also some games that enhance your skills in critical thinking. I guess the skills you acquire from gaming depend on the games you play. If those set of skills are required for the job or career you wish to pursue, then I guess you can use that to your advantage.

4. Decypher7

Decypher7 New Member

Have you heard about this quote "The time you enjoy wasting is not a wasted time", lol, but come to think of it, it is actually dependent on the individual, if you're a student and you have loads of work to tidy,books to read, assignments to do, and you're at your couch hitting the pad.
    Come on, it's not only a waste of time, it's a waste of self, because the time you're spending on gaming can be used for something else, even if you have completed the former, you can still use that time to learn new skills and improve your life and bank account.
    I stopped gaming when i was 18, you know why? i got to develop myself, my people are looking unto me, and instead of wasting my time on video games, i used it learn new skills and developed my self.
    So is it a waste of time? that question is dependent on the individual, if you're developed and rich, it's not a waste of time, but if you're not, sorry to burst your bubble, it's a waste of time, use that time and learn new skills to secure your future, then later at night you can cut off some hours from your night sleep to romance the pad.

5. JaiGuru

JaiGuru New Member

There is a quote which has been attributed to everyone from T. S. Elliot to John Lennon which reads, "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.". I find there to be significant truth in that. Of course, a balance should be observed! Personal responsibility is an important part of life. We have to be careful that we allow a little time for delightful frivolity, and a little time for necessary work in each day if we are to remain well rounded human beings. Whether or not time spent gaming is truly wasted will depend on where in that balance your activities fall.

Lioniixx piixx likes this.
  6. Lioniixx piixx

Lioniixx piixx New Member

I feel that this perspective of video games being a waste time is due to the fact that even though they have been for some time now, it's not even come close to the other forms of entertainment such as TV, Books and so on. But the thing is that a lot of people seem to have a misconception in regards to the value and the benefits of video games in comparison to the other forms of entertainment even though they are relatively the same as you can chose whether to use any of them as either a form of entertainment or a leaning experience.

7. meensusa

meensusa New Member

Playing video games is a good relaxation activity. But too much of video games can affect our focus in other things. It may also affect our eyesight as the eyes are constantly exposed to the screen. It is a good idea to allot a fixed schedule for video games every week or month.

For smaller kids, playing video games is not a good option because they will get addicted to it easily. It will also affect their studies and interest in outdoor games. So parents should strictly monitor and regulate the time spent by their kids in video games.

8. Rybert

Rybert New Member

It isn't waste of time for me, my childhood was built by video games, i don't think there's a harm in playing video games, just don't stay playing for a whole day, we had to set our limits in every things we do.

Time management is important, playing a video game 1-2 hours wouldn't hurt you, but playing it for a day, would be bad for you and your career, virtual world is different from reality, so you must not get caught or mixed up this two, or you'll be stuck on where you are, use your time effectively and enjoy some video games to relax yourself a little.

9. huggy212

huggy212 New Member

I was able to read a quotation the says "The time you enjoy wasting is not being wasted". Playing video games is a very good pass time for me from the past 20 years of my life. I am a full time video creator and sometimes I get tired of editing videos so I also need some time to relax and unwind of my work. I can also used video games for my videos for income opportunities.

It really depends on how you play video games if this will be a bad thing and a waste of time for you.

10. Vladv26

Vladv26 New Member

As long as you dont spend the whole day play video games, thats ok. Even playing a few hours(2-3) I think it is ok. But anything more than that is addiction and only a waste of time. I think watching YouTube videos or movies it is more productive than playing video games.

11. peterallen

peterallen New Member

It depends on what you hope to get out of it. If you want to be entertained for a few hours, video games are a great option. If you want to spend a few hours doing something to improve your health or wealth, video games probably aren't the most effective choice.

You can certainly gain a variety of skills through playing video games, but you can also lose hours learning mechanics and systems and lore that will never be relevant outside of they game they come from. That's only a bad thing if you don't want to spend that time on something with such limited return.

Life is a waste of time, in the end. It's up to us to choose how to waste it, and to find meaning in our actions in spite of their insignificance