IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is The Cost of College Too High?

Discussion in 'Education' started by HappyKoi, Oct 3, 2016.

1. HappyKoi

HappyKoi New Member

In the U.S.A., college tuition has seen a marked increase since the 60s. Today, it seems that the only way to get a good job and make a living wage is to attend college and get a degree, at least a Bachelor's or better. However, the cost of college is putting many students into debt. Gone are the days when a part-time job would pay for a student's tuition. Many students, especially those that attend for-profit colleges, are getting into debt in the tens of thousands of dollars, and many times are not getting a job that would let them pay those loans back. Many experts are suggesting that a college education isn't worth the debt, and are trying to talk students out of getting an education because of the cost. This is such a big issue that it is being mentioned in the presidential race this year. What do you think? Is a college degree worth the money that it takes to get it? Or does it seem like just another scam?

Manandez and ahtishamzx like this.
  2. Tyi

Tyi Member

I am inclined to agree with you. There are some European countries that offer free higher education not only to their citizenry, it is also offered to foreign students as well. Germany, Finland and Norway are among those that offer this opportunity. However, their is a cost. In a lot of these countries, the residents pay higher taxes so that higher education and other social amenities such as childcare, and healthcare can be free or at a much lower cost.

Yes HappyKoi, the American college student is indeed paying a king's ransom for a college education and they graduate holding a capitol debt. The only lower cost option I see is technical college. Students can get the necessary training they need and they have a better chance of getting a job in the field you trained for. Just make sure you check the school's accreditation status. Why? Because you don't want to waste time attending a school and either paying out of pocket or borrowing money only to find out that your state does not honor the school's accreditation and your classes won't transfer to your state accredited school or worse yet, to an out of state school.

3. ahtishamzx

ahtishamzx New Member

Usa is not the only country who is suffering from this education business all over the world every university and colleges whether they are gov or private they are making education into business none of them thinking about problem of student
    Is the student is liable to pay fee or not that's horrible :(:(:(

4. Tyi

Tyi Member

Unfortunately, you are right. Many students have amassed a huge amount of educational debt and many are not making enough money to repay the debt and meet their living expenses. One reason is because many are not working in the fields for which they were trained. And another reason is that many employers are not allowing employees to work full-time because they don't want to pay benefits. It can sometimes be difficult to acquire employment upon graduation. Why? Because although students are entering the workforce with an education, the downside is they lack applied knowledge/skills for the jobs they are applying for.

I feel that if the collegiate system is going to over charge students for an education. The least the should do is make apprenticeship/internship a major part of their educational experience. I feel that this should take place within the last year if the student is in a technical school, or the last two years if they are attending a four year institution.

5. JasmineG

JasmineG New Member

This is a subject that needs far more attention that it actually gets. I personally have a tremendous amount of debt due to student loans and college expenses. I worked part-time every semester, which made it difficult to make time for studying and homework, and still needed student loans to cover majority of my expenses.

I always felt that it was unfair to charge students to much for knowledge. I understand that instructors need to be paid and that the actual campus has expenses as well, but the average person never makes it out of debt due to college and its outrageous expenses. I feel that if we are seeking an education, in order to work in the world, that is making a contribution to society. Why do we have to pay so much to better communities, in any way?

6. betty

betty New Member

YES I do agree that college is too expensive for the common student. In recent years studies have been conducted and its been discovered that tuition fees are increasing every year thus sinking the young college student into more and more debt than they can manage. They already have to worry about a place to live and food and bills from every corner. This has become a trigger for very many suicides and suicide attempts in the country.
    The president elect has a huge task ahead of him in relation to regulation education fees and increase in job availability for college students and graduates.

7. Aykacia

Aykacia New Member

I think the price of getting a college degree is ridiculously too high and expensive. You have to take out an UN-subsidized and a subsidized loan just to handle the college fees, especially at a for-profit school; such as KAPLAN UNIVERSITY (<--- SCAM). These institutes fail to realize that many students are attending college to better themselves, yet after graduating we are starting these new careers in HUGE DEBT. The truth is, we would be lucky if we have those loans half way paid off by the time we retire.

Sadly, it seems we may come out better financially by working at a fast food restaurant and avoiding college and its ridiculous debt altogether. How are we to enjoy these better salary rates when our college loan debt don't leave a penny to put into our savings account or to enjoy. Years ago, parents were able to work and save up money for their children's education, now-a-days parents are working to pay off their own college loans.

I would have to agree with the experts, attending college today is not worth the debt, it is indeed a scam.

8. Nathan047

Nathan047 New Member

Finally, somebody who thinks about all of the pros/cons instead of just saying "lets make the government pay for it."

While yes, college is expensive, I don't think it is a scam. If you really think about it, if a college has to pay all of it's staff, pay for keeping up the building, and even in some cases feed and house the students, there is a lot of costs that they have to take into account also. And while free college might get more people to go to college, it is never really free, and everybody ends up paying for instead of the person actually going to college.

9. Tofindwithvalue

Tofindwithvalue New Member

Although the cost to have a higher education can be high for some, it is still worth going through the process. For someone to utilize any potential loans could lessen the complexity of the process. To look beyond the amount involved for the financing of it would enable a person with more opportunities.

10. sergioh651

sergioh651 New Member

While college does seem to be quite expensive, I think it is worth every penny. Just the other day, in my Economics class we were talking about jobs and how some people can't get the right jobs because of a lack of education. They lack the skills needed in a certain area. Having a college degree would allow people to find better employment. Eventually in the future, I think they can make more money than what they invested or put into their college education. They will be rewarded.

11. tealea

tealea New Member

The cost of college is extremely high everywhere. Students have to work in order to survive and to have enough money for common necessities instead of studying. The real student has to be concentrated on the examinations, so they have to study a lot, and to attend classes also, buy books and have enough money for everyday life. Many students unfortunately lose their years because of the jobs they have to do in order to pay their studies. In my opinion it has to be free for everybody in the first year of studying , so students who are planning to reach some goals will do their best not to fail and will have free studying. After a year the selection will show who will continue free and who has to pay.

12. Jswindell

Jswindell New Member

When I was considering a transfer last year, the lowest online university I could find was around $350/credit. I would need around 20 credits to reach 120 for a bachelor's unless they accept some of my major classes as electives. If not, I could be in the hole for at least $30K. I'd rather take continuing ed. classes to sharpen my current skill set.