IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is the master's degree important and necessary in time of crisis?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Matheus, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Matheus

Matheus New Member

I am an electronic engineer and I live in Brazil. In my country is very difficult to get a job nowadays, because we are in crisis. Therefore I decided to do the master's degree to improve my curriculum. In additional, I do several courses in the area of entrepreneurship to expand my skills. Even so, I still have difficulty to get a job.

What would you do in this situation?

2. vhinz

vhinz New Member

I'm from the Philippines where Masters Degree will really give you big advantage if you are working in an educational institution. It will increase your salary and a change to a higher position such as a Dean for a particular college. But we have also crisis in employment and many graduates are unemployed because of job scarcity.

Our country have both problem in job opportunities so I think its better to look for a online job or create a business. And it is good that you've taken entrepreneurship because you can use that to look for other opportunities.

I'm currently working in an educational institution but I'm acquiring new skills and knowledge that I can use to get online jobs or online business so that I could quit my regular job. I'm looking forward to work online or have an online business so that I won't be dragging my self every day to go to work.

Matheus likes this.
  3. Bloomsie

Bloomsie New Member

I am unsure what it is like in Brazil, but in the United States it was a very helpful degree to have. I could be wrong (and someone please correct me if I am), but there will be a law that will pass that will make it harder for those who are earning their masters degree to be given FAFSA (government scholarship) in-hand. And honestly, those who are pursuing a masters don't have time to get a job and when they do work, it is often unpaid internships.

Personally, I am all for learning and enhancing your skills in something that you want to do. But if it financially burdens you, then it may not be worth it, especially if you are going into a field that does not pay well to begin with. If you are able to get fellowships (money scholarships that are not government or university-based) then obtaining your masters is well worth it.

Matheus likes this.