IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is there power in submission?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Unknown, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Unknown

Unknown New Member

I've come across this on the internet and can't help but wonder. Is there power in submission? Power in serving rather than being served. Lead or be lead?

2. nickimacwriter

nickimacwriter New Member

That’s actually a great question and I think a lot of people would probably shoot it down without thinking about it but I’d like to add my opinion.

It really depends, I suppose, on what it is that you are submitting to, be it an idea, a leader or a religious doctrine. Western society is based very much on competition and the perception of being a leader so submission is not a desirable position. Political leaders like Sen. Ted Cruz are also led by their religious doctrine so are they leaders or being led?

On the whole, I would say that there is power in being led by an ideal more than a leader as they can be flawed, corrupt and can themselves led by their own prejudices.

lilmsmisses likes this.
  3. lilmsmisses

lilmsmisses New Member

I know that people, especially feminists might not like my answer, but especially as a WOMAN, submission to your husband, not just any dude (like a guy you just got pregnant by or are dating) is powerful. Let me clarify, I'm not religious, so I'm not saying this as some religious person saying this as a result of religious dogma.

4. Reyhan Williams

Reyhan Williams New Member

I find that it soley depends on the situation. Submission to a leader can provide a person who is more inclided to a serving role with many benefits, as they not be as successful as a leader themselves. Though if one was an effective leader, I suppose that they would lose power. Though it can be argued that one could submit for personal gain.

To conclude, I find that submitting can cause weaker individuals to obtain power, whereas for stronger, more leadership driven individuals, it can lead to them losing power.

5. jeffreyjose87

jeffreyjose87 Member

Jesus Christ is our powerful example in this. He humbled himself and God exalted Him. Every knee will bow and every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

6. mosesoscar

mosesoscar New Member

There is power, in tactical submission. People submit because they are timid, and because of it they are taken advantage of —i see no purpose nor power in this. However, when you submit because your submission will in the long run bring you a greater good, that is power.

To see it in another way, it is easier to burst out and react to bullies and people trying to exert power over you. There's no power in doing the easy, which could cost you plenty in the long run. But to subject your impulses under your desire to achieve greater good, this is hard, and it requires great power to do so