IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Learning is a job. We should get paid to go to school.

Discussion in 'Education' started by Kristine, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Kristine

Kristine New Member

Why do we have to go to school for all your childhood and end up using just about half of the things you read. Most subjects or cover topics are just too unnecessary. I thing we should have a system that pays you for things you unnecessarily have to read just because the syllabus says so. For motivational purposes ;);)

2. haivu721vn

haivu721vn New Member

Nice! You're right.
    Actually, even geniuses can't remember more than 0.2% of things they've learnt at school, unless they're teachers!
    Every subject we've learnt are totally useless as we never applied them in our life!! School wastes our times!! It's pointless to go to school unless we get paid for doing so =))

3. sarasnake99

sarasnake99 New Member

Haha, I completely agree! I'm not sure how the schools would stay open if they had to pay all of their students (after all, there are a lot of people in school right now... obviously), but I think it would be a great motivator- and if teachers had to compensate their students for making them do pointless assignments, maybe they'd assign less of them! A truly great outcome for everyone involved. If only our education system worked that way. :p

4. babegriev

babegriev New Member

I agree that many of the subjects taught in schools become irrelevant in life, however, the education system teaches us more of how to actually complete the work. Whether or not you retain AP Calculus in your 40s doesn't matter, as long as you remember how you crammed an entire chapter's worth of material for a test the next day. If you remember how to speak a word of Spanish is irrelevant, as long as you remember the feeling of confidence you had presenting an oral presentation you thought you were going to fail. It teaches us to work with other people. Yes, learning is a job, however, just as it is seen in Plato's allegory of the cave, people don't typically want to learn. A teacher's job is not to cram information into your brain, but rather to, in blatant terms, force you to go through the process of learning. Whether is Physical Education or Physics.

Destinye Robinson likes this.
  5. TONNYTINA

TONNYTINA New Member

I beg to disagree, I think learning is an investment that requires one to be patient in order to reap later in future. Through learning many things, one becomes an all round person by at least acquiring a general view of various fields of life. It also enables one to make a proper choice of his or her career of life.

6. RenoGerman

RenoGerman New Member

When you wake up in the morning, what's the first thing you do? You think "what time is it?" then looks at the clock. What do you see? Numbers. How do you know the things you see are numbers? You learned if from school. From your math teacher.

I could think of more ways to show you how the simple things in life are connected to the lessons you've learned from school but I think the above example is enough to prove my point.

7. pl1726

pl1726 New Member

we should be thankful that we even get to go to school. there are many others out there who do not have this privilege to do so

8. Tricster

Tricster New Member

While I certainly think that paid schooling might be a motivator for some, I think it would undermine the system somehow. Children are taught a wide variety of subjects, some of which do seem useless at the time, because it's impossible for a teacher to predict the course of each student's life. While one student may never think about the lessons learned in American history for example, another may grow up to become a museum curator or an archaeologist who uses that knowledge every single day. If we don't give children a wide breadth of information, some of them may never discover the things they are truly passionate about.

I believe one of the best investments we can make in our futures is to learn all that we can when we are young and don't have other responsibilities such as careers, families, and other adult life decisions. Also, by learning as children, we have the skills we need should we require additional learning as adults. We essentially learn how to learn. Or, at least, we do if our teachers prepare us well.

The other interesting thing is that sometimes those subjects we thought of as useless crop up when we least expect it. Have you ever thought you'd never need a piece of information only to have it come up again soon after?