IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Listening to just a music genre.

Discussion in 'Music' started by Queeresau, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Queeresau

Queeresau New Member

I've met several people who seem to be kind of "trapped" when it comes to music, and I say so because they only seem to listen to just a music genre: just rap, just rock or even only classical music. And I think that it has to do a lot with their perspective of what they should consume or enjoy according to their culture or just the way that they see the world.
    And I think that's something that it should be respected, but is not something that I agree with. I feel like music is something so wide and so beautiful that it should be enjoyed for everyone!
    I feel like if you close yourself to a certain type of music you are missing a big part of the art that's out there.

What are your opinions about this topic?

2. Brett Daniel

Brett Daniel New Member

We must keep in mind that each genre of music has corresponding subgenres. Rap is not just rap, rock is not just rock. There's East and West Coast styles of rap, as well as breakbeat, trip-hop and others. As for rock, the subgenres hard rock, classic rock, soft rock, progressive rock and a plethora of other styles and derivatives make up the broad category that is "rock music."

Though I do not limit myself to only one genre of music, I will listen to one specific genre and its derivatives for several days or even weeks. For example, if I discover one day that I really enjoy jazz music, then I will frequently listen to not only traditional jazz, but acid jazz, avant-garde jazz, and swing. The same goes for pop (baroque pop, dance pop), rock (hard rock, soft rock, blues rock), soul (neo-soul, blue-eyed soul, R&B), rap, country (bluegrass, Nashville sound), and various other broadly labeled genres.

Also, there is indeed a wide variety of music, but it is not always "beautiful" as you put it. There are artists and musicians who strive to create music that puzzles, irritates, and unsettles. Most of these artists can be found in a subgenre labeled "experimental" or "avant-garde."

Culture is a factor as to which genre of music humans are typically attracted to, but I would argue it isn't a significant influence, being that any type of music a person is interested in listening to is readily available at their fingertips twenty-four hours a day. We must also consider that some cultures do not value music at all. Some people even view music as petty background noise that interrupts their train of thought and daily activities.

I think listening to one genre of music is a healthy way to learn about not only a particular style of music, but the artists that create it. If you do this, you'll find yourself diving deeper into artists' discographies, yearning to know more about their career and the history of the genre itself. This will enlighten you on their influence and contributions to the genre, and usually artists are influenced by other artists, so in this dedicated process of research, you'll discover new artists and music (probably of a different genre).

If someone sticks to one genre of music, so be it. If they like to listen to the same artists and albums day in and day out, then so it is. As long as they're enjoying the music, who cares? At least they're listening. Indeed, most people don't appreciate the effort and talent that goes into creating music, even if it is just a top forty pop song, but is that really important?

3. Onliner

Onliner New Member

I totally agree with you on this. I always think that it's quite unfortunate for someone to insist that he/she will only listen to a particular genre of music.

Through opening up to different types of music, one is able to learn a great deal of mannerisms and the culture of the people from where that particular music is native.

Listening to different
    genres also helps alleviate boredom. You'll have a wide range of instrumentation, sound combination and other aspects of music that vary from one genre to another.

4. mimi

mimi New Member

As for me I would really love to hear all genres of music. Most of the time the first 30 seconds will determine whether I finish hearing the whole song. Different music will always bring your mood into different 'way'. After all, I still choose pop as my top favorite genre though ^_^

5. anastaysiag

anastaysiag New Member

I used to be really into rock music. I wouldn't listen to anything else. I didn't like rap, country or techno. I wouldn't ever admit I liked bands like Destiny's Child or anything that wasn't rock. I guess that for me it was a pride thing. In high school, I dressed like a punk and I laughed at friends that like country.

Today my music choices are a lot more involved. I like rap, country, rock, r&b, and alternative. I am much more open to listening to new music and my playlist on my phone is very diverse.

I'm sure many other people go through only liking one genre, but most grow out of it and learn to like other types of music.