IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Lyrics or Music ?

Discussion in 'Music' started by azeem sahab, Jun 15, 2017.

1. azeem sahab

azeem sahab New Member

A good song is a combination of heart touching music and lyrics. Some people think that music is the main factor to attract a listener while other think that lyrics are the heart touching thing in a song. I think that music is the base of a song. If there is no music in the song then it cannot be called a song. It might be the poetry. It is the music that makes my mood to keep on listening to the song.

What is your opinion? Do you think that music is the main reason to enjoy a song or the lyrics?

Shana Peckover likes this.
  2. James Fielder

James Fielder New Member

When judging a song based on first impressions, my primary concern is that 1) the music is done right; and 2) the words, whether in content or presentation, aren't done wrong.

Putting it that way, strictly by definition, lyrics and singing play a slightly secondary role to music: Music without lyrics is still music, but lyrics without music are poetry. Massive swaths of jazz, electronic, classical and other forms of music subsist just fine without words; I've got a gigantic folder in my iTunes marked "Ambient For Editing," which is stuffed with the wordless (or largely wordless) works of Stars of the Lid, Eluvium, Pantha Du Prince, Arvo Part and others, which is saying nothing of Justin Bieber's hit "U Smile," which an enterprising DJ turned into a gorgeous ambient work by slowing it down to a 35-minute crawl. Like so much instrumental music, these works access emotions just as efficiently as words do, if not more so.

Lyrics and singing, on the other hand, are music's greatest deal-breakers; I can't tell you how many times I've pushed play, been sucked into a perfect sound world and sat nervously, thinking, "God, please don't let the singer screw this up." As often as not, he or she does just that. Vocals and lyrics are far more subjective than other sounds: What tugs at my heartstrings may well work your nerves. Which, in turn, makes great words and great vocals harder to come by — and, perhaps by virtue of their scarcity, more valuable in the long run. But, since you asked, there's clearly no wrong way to listen, much as I'd love to tell Bob and Robin that they're doing it wrong. Call it a draw, but let's agree to tell Bob and Robin that they've both lost.

3. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeod New Member

Music, always. Lyrics mean very little to me, but they can also make a song much better then it was for me when I read them and think about them. But music is mostly what makes me listen to the song over and over again. It is the same case as it is with the movies. Whenever I am listening I am trying to hear something that I haven't heard the first, or the second time. I guess both of these have a great impact on whether or not you are going to like the song, but to me, music takes the first place.

4. Bllexy

Bllexy New Member

Music, if there was no music we could might as well listen to opera singers. Lyrics nowadays don't carry a lot of meaning, and several artists in the Hip Hop culture are losing their grip when it's most needed. It depends on the genre also. I prefer to listen to the music but I like a good set of lyrics too when they fit the song and carry a meaning.

Singers are almost always in the spotlight and when we hear a tune we feel better if we can sing along rather than just hum to it. But if the music has energy, dedication and the emotion behind it, it usually doesn't need any further clarifications by using lyrics. Instrumentals are a good way of determining whether a song needs lyrics or not. A lot of Electronic songs implement meaningless lyrics in order to hide the repetitiveness of the beats which we all enjoy.

Technically, music done right is all one needs in my opinion. Lyrics are added just to tag along so to speak.

5. overratedmermaid

overratedmermaid New Member

As someone who despises catchy pop songs, I would say the music has to be beautiful, and the lyrics have to evoke emotion. That's my favorite kind of music to listen to. If a song has complex musicality and is coupled with emotional and original lyrics, I believe that's a successful song.

Shana Peckover likes this.
  6. kasunjoes

kasunjoes New Member

Well lyrics and music both needed in some genres such as country & pop. Since those genres touches the human heart therefore it obviously has to have good lyrics in it. When it comes to rock , funk and disco people expecting good music rather than just good lyrics.

7. temmygabriel

temmygabriel New Member

Honestly, I think it depends on the mood of the listener. Like they say, when you are happy, you enjoy the music and when you are sad, you feel the lyrics.

Take for example:
    if a person is going through very rough time, he would feel lonely and as he is feeling lonely,the first thing which would come in his mind is to find motivation and at that time lyrics will do a great job for that person.

Secondly 'Music of that song' .No matter If you understand the lyrics or not! If the music of that song is good, that song will remain in your head for a very long time.
    That it.

8. annamaesan25

annamaesan25 New Member

I love a song that has a sentimental lyrics and also it would be a great song that compose of beautiful music.
    I do love music and everytime I listen to it , I will always feel the meaning to it.

9. dedenbula

dedenbula New Member

I subscribe to the position that music is the base of a song. Personally I am selective when it comes to songs, I have strict conditions for songs that I like and listen. And top on this conditions is good lyrical content, if the lyrics is poor then the song is poor no matter how melodious the music is. But again the music is important because that's what will usually drive my interest to know what the music is all about.
    So basically I think music is the foundation of a song that lyrics and message delivery are built upon. And when the foundation is bad, nothing awesome can be built upon it. In short the combination of both is important and I am highly interested in the lyrics.

10. Shana Peckover

Shana Peckover New Member

This question is clearly a Catch-22! I personaally am a "lyrics person". Lyrics are the basis of any great song. You can have a wonderful instrumental piece, but if the lyrics aren't up to par, then it's worthless. Music is sort of he platform that helps the song along in its progression.

11. Shana Peckover

Shana Peckover New Member

I could not have said it better myself. I agree with you.

12. Jitendra Bharti

Jitendra Bharti New Member

I love the music that have good lyrics. As lyrics are the sole of any music. Lyrics and music go together. One is incomplete without other. It is like two inseparable soul that are meant to be in each other company not willing to part away. Sometimes we just listen a particular music and forget the environment we live at the moment. It feels a string is attached to the creator when we feel the music we have just listening. A song is complete when it combines with music and lyrics. So I go for both lyrics and music.

13. toomuchbottle

toomuchbottle New Member

I like listening to songs that has a good lyrics in it. For me a song with a great wording is like a complete story. Each time the song plays, it provides an aura of someone telling a story , conveying the full emotion of the writer on that particular moment while writing the words of the song. Music on that song for me is just an added bonus.

14. Raphla

Raphla New Member

I would probably go with music especially the ones that makes gets you to think more,the ones that have a deeper meaning. That way you will appreciate the song. Most lyrics today don't have much value to them.