IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Music has an great impact on the brain and sub-conscience.

Discussion in 'Music' started by Francene, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Francene

Francene New Member

What do you guys think about this topic? Some say that music is very powerful and it has almost an unnoticeable effect on the mind and by extension the whole body. I've even heard some say that the effect of music is likened to that of drugs!

Personally, I know, from studies that music has an interesting and profound effect on the brain and most persons don't realize it. Music helps with mood and even certain body processes. Studies have shown that music has even been used to make labor processes easier!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. missjey

missjey New Member

I believe this to be very true. And it is believed even during the ancient times. If you have heard of the "Doctrine of Ethos" in Greek philosophy, it is believed that sounds or music, influences the behavior, character and moral of a person. Aristotle said that, if a person listens to a bad kind of music, then it will be a bad person, and vice versa. Music was explored to evoke person's feelings, and it was believed that we can imitate a person's feelings through music. This has a lot to do with a person's brain and sub conscience, and I personally believe this to be true.

Music can also help with the therapy. Say for the case of a person with Alzheimer's disease, a patient with Alzheimer can forget almost everything, except a certain song that was connected to his/her life's memory. Music stays in our brain or subconscious more than any other information or details in our life.

Music is also used in teaching children. Music helps to effectively teach a certain subject. Incorporating music in learning is a very popular method in education today.

Music in speeding up labor processes: I believe music helps in speeding up anything that we do. For example, when you go to the gym, you will usually hear an upbeat music so it will keep you energized and push yourself to work out. In fast food restaurants, usually they play fast music so customers would eat faster and leave the premises right away for the next customer.

3. juttara777

juttara777 New Member

Well, music certainly has a very positive effect on the mind of a person. I think that a lot of research has already been done on the healing quality of music and also how music therapy can be used to cure or aid in curing some psychosomatic disorders in patients. I think that there is still a huge scope for further research in this regard.

I am from India and I love to listen to Indian Classical Music. This tradition of classical music is believed to be very ancient and goes back hundreds of years in the past. There are a set of rules and regulations for the artist to follow when he is learning and performing in front of a live audience. A musician has to study and perform according to the different ragas or a set of notes. All the ragas are different from each other and have a very specific timing of singing or performing them. These timings have been traditionally pre-decided according to there effect on the audience listening to them. It is said that listening to some of these ragas regularly on the given time can help in healing and soothing our minds.

There is no doubt that music has a very positive and soothing effect on the human mind. Even in our everyday life when we are feeling very tired or stressed, and we listen to our favorite music, we definitely feel fresh and energetic afterward. Music can be one of the best stress busters for the human mind.