IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Nurture vs Nature, which one is more influential?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Bianca88, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Bianca88

Bianca88 New Member

I was introduced to this great debate during my first year of University. The question been presented here is which one of the two has the greatest influence of one's identity or persona? Are we social beings who are shaped by our upbringing and environment?, or are we biologically inclined to possess certain traits and dispositions?
    My position is that Nurture or rather our environment has the greatest influence on who we become and has a direct influence on our biology, i.e., what a woman does during pregnancy may have direct impact on the biological well-being of her child.

Human beings tend to behave in a way that is compatible with what they have been exposed to all their lives and hence the notion of positive role models is emphasized within most communities.
    What is your view on this debate, which of these two sides is the most important?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    MD Finley likes this.
  2. gomer3d

gomer3d New Member

There is a case for either side that could be made. Genetics play a role in stress tolerance in human beings. The ability to tolerate varying amounts of stress can be paralleled with the type of personality someone develops. On the other side of the coin outside influences, the nurture side of the equation, can be a great influence on an individuals personality as well.

3. Marcelo Faria

Marcelo Faria New Member

I agree with gomer3d. I believe that both sides have an important role in defining behavior. Identical twins may be completely different from each other, even if their genes are the same. On the other hand, genetically different people can be very similar, because of life experiences. I think there is also another factor: choice. We can choose to do certain things and that defines what we are. This is what freedom is about.

4. R.Schulz

R.Schulz New Member

I think that nature is the starting point. A seed, if you will, that you've decided to grow. The seed itself is very important but the care and attention it receives after is more important. So, if I must choose, I agree with the OP. Nurturing is more important.

5. NormaD

NormaD New Member

One of my greatest mentors taught me that environment is more important than heredity. The people that you surround yourself with will always determine your results in your life. If you want to be happy, you stand a better chance of accomplishing that goal if you surround yourself with happy people. If you want to be successful, hang around successful people. If you want to be rich, find out where poor people hang out, and don't go there!

MD Finley likes this.
  6. GrinChain

GrinChain New Member

I'll say nature.. I hope people will just stop destroying it..

7. Tofindwithvalue

Tofindwithvalue New Member

In their own way, both of the described are important. The features are not very different in ways by nature. The possible mostly by natural theory may be slightly more influential when it comes to the being of most things.

8. MD Finley

MD Finley New Member

You are certainly correct R. Schulz, but let's go one step deeper. Geneticists have shown that the behaviors of parents can actually be passed on to their offspring. Everything from natural talent to mental disorders can be passed down. In this case, it would seem that nature plays a rather secondary role, for who can fight their genetic programming?

9. MD Finley

MD Finley New Member

HA! Yes, Norma, there IS certainly a real phenomena called "the poverty mindset". It's quite contagious.

10. MD Finley

MD Finley New Member

Hi Bianca,

This is certainly one of those questions that keep Philosophers employed. Clearly, nurture has a very powerful influence ove how a human (or organism) develops. At the same time, the ever-expanding base of knowledge surrounding heredity and genetics is making the increasingly-powerful case that MUCH of what makes us human and directs our development, has everythign to do with the DNA we inherited.

As a result, so-called Gene Therapy is now an actual debate. Designer babies are now scientific option. The ethics are staggering. Should humans play the role of the Divine? The reality that we must ask such questions, underlies the incredible power that nature has to influence who we are at our very core.