IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Obesity, The Possible Cure For Dementia?

Discussion in 'Science' started by KimberlyD, Apr 13, 2015.

1. KimberlyD

KimberlyD New Member Moderator

Interestingly enough, there has been a study recently that shows that dementia risk is associated with you BMI but not in the way you would think. A higher BMI decreases your risk where as a lower one increases it during your middle years. I read about this at I F&*@ing Love Science where the author posted links to support her article. One of which was a link to the The Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology where they posted the study results.

What do you guys think of these developments?

2. Happyflowerlady

Happyflowerlady New Member Moderator

According to what I have read, dementia is basically a diabetes that centers on the brain. If that is true; then a person's diet could play a large part in whether or not you develop dementia as you get older. Except for Type 1 diabetes, it can be controlled ( and possibly avoided altogether) by eating the right diet.
    When you eat refined carbohydrates, then your body makes insulin, to keep your blood sugar from spiking. If it lowers the blood sugar, then you may feel hungry again, and eat more.
    If you choose to eat refined carbs again, then this cycle will just keep on repeating itself, eventually leading to an insulin deficiency, and diabetes.
    Since our brain functions on cholesterol; people who use statin-type drugs to lower their cholesterol are the ones especially at risk of developing Alzheimer's Disease, or other forms of dementia.
    From what I have been able to determine, the best way to avoid both diabetes, and dementia, is to eat a diet based on unrefined carbs, protein, and good quality oils, such as olive oil or coconut oil. The Paleo diet seems to be a good plan to follow to accomplish this.

3. richme4

richme4 New Member

I've discovered that diabetes can wreak havoc on just about everything in your body. I would think that being overweight and diabetic is going to affect the brain in some way. Chemical imbalances are probably more a factor in developing Alzheimer's or Dementia than your BMI.

4. Secre

Secre New Member

The problem with the above thoughts is that obesity is a risk factor for so many issues in and of itself. Obesity is categorised in the NHS as 30 or above and those who are obese are at a higher risk of type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease, sleep apnoea, liver and kidney disease, some types of cancer such as breast cancer or bowel cancer and stroke. There are also psychological issues such as low self-esteem and depression that often come hand in hand with obesity. It is estimated however that obesity reduces life expectancy by an average of 3 to 10 years depending on how severe it is and contribute to 1 in every 13 deaths in Europe.

This study here also suggests that obesity in mid-life leads to a higher risk of dementia in later life; https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/news_article.php?newsID=2150 which directly contradicts your above study. I'd therefore be exceptionally cautious about recommending obesity as a way of avoiding dementia at all; firstly it comes with far too many health risks of its own and secondly, that certainly isn't a definite conclusion.