IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

On the question of free speech

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Hmid_Lashkham, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Hmid_Lashkham

Hmid_Lashkham New Member

It might be a bit late, but the topic is an ever recurring one, so why not discuss it anyways? Do you think free speech should extend to those who will abuse it to further dangerous ideologies? For example, the Berkley riots, the assault on the neo-nazi Richard Spencer and several other recent events have divided people on the topic. Some believe freedom of speech is an absolute right that must be respect no matter the stakes, and others believe certain speech is too dangerous to be allowed.

I tend to lean towards the latter stance, although I will admit it's rather tricky where to draw the lines. What speech exactly does not fall under free speech and who gets to decide? Many countries have blasphemy laws and that hasn't turned out to be the slippery slope many people warn us of within this context. Ironically, I'm staunchly against blasphemy laws but do believe fascism and nazism should be banned. My logic in this is that a secular state must always be more concerned with protecting humans than Gods and other metaphysical concepts.

Where do you stand on this?

2. Ariana Maissi

Ariana Maissi New Member

I believe we have a similar stand on the topic. But I don't believe in bans and limitations. I think people can be taught to refuse hate through empathy, through deeply understanding the struggle of the other, through studying history and politics.

If we forbid a certain way of thinking labeling it as wrong, we are not stimulating critical thinking, we are herding the masses towards a ideology that we believe is safe. We need to promote outside-the-box thinking. If we establish a system where everyone is permanently comfortable, we are also stopping society's need to move forward. We can't remain compliant for too long. We must always strive for something higher.

3. Eden Mae Dela Cruz

Eden Mae Dela Cruz New Member

I am not against it but we should also know our limits. I often see rants or posts on my Facebook feeds about a lot of things that annoy them or what they think is wrong but at the same time most of these post are rude and disrespectful. Everybody has a right but don't go to far to the point that you are hurting others.

4. napash

napash New Member

What is the actual definition of freedom of speech? I think that has to be clearly stated. Now, should it be defined then the danger there is if that definition will cause the limitation of such freedom. I believe that freedom of speech is absolute but only to the person himself. Quite confusing right? Let me explain, man is free to express himself as long as it will not interfere with other's access to such freedom.

Let me explain further. Freedom of speech is a tool a person has for his quest for self-determination. Now, he is not alone. Other people has the same fundamental right, so it would be a moral dilemma should one force his ways so that he can express himself at the expense of denying other people's access to it. Again, he is not alone. Therefore, freedom of speech is not absolute in this sense.

5. Ben Korir

Ben Korir New Member

On a personal level, I believe human beings are the most rational and intelligent among the creatures of Earth. This therefore means that, at all cost, all humans are entitled to freedom by nature. Thus on this context, I support that free speech should be absolutely right irregardless of the ideologies on question. Everyone has common sense and ability for judgement. The current happenings which may depict misuse of freedom of speech, does not necessarily means that way, but rather a disguise of the conflict among those parties. We should therefore seek to resolve the conflict rather than debating on the essence of freedom.