IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Photoshop Alternative

Discussion in 'Computer Graphics' started by oldbuddy, Dec 28, 2015.

1. oldbuddy

oldbuddy New Member

If you are involved in Internet Marketing or building websites for anything, graphics are a critical necessity. You can use some canned graphics, but they are not flexible enough for me.

What I did 15 years ago, was buy an older version of Photoshop Elements from Ebay for $10 and it has served me well all these years. Now Adobe is closing the door on being able to buy anything but the latest version at a much higher price, so you may want to move quick if this interests you.

It's not as powerful as the full Photoshop, but for web work it is still great, since you don't have the same requirements necessary for work you will send to the print shop. It's also much easier to learn and use and it will still read the standard .psd files from Photoshop.

I can't believe I wasted several years trying out cheap alternatives, because I didn't want to spend $300 for Photoshop.

2. Ritesh

Ritesh New Member

You should not waste trying other cheap alternatives also . Photoshop wins the race of computer graphics over any other graphics software . If you don't have much money to buy photoshop you should try to get them from internet free of cost. Yes ! Free of cost download photoshop's crack version from internet. You don't need to pay anything.

3. Enigmasflame

Enigmasflame New Member

If we're talking about graphics, and by graphics you mean illustration, you don't NEED Photoshop. From an (amateur) illustrator's point of view, the primary usage of Photoshop wasn't originally intended to be used as a tool for digital painting or drawing. However, to be fair, it has proven itself to be a solid tool for that nonetheless.

There are superb alternatives that are both open-source and free. Krita is one of those lesser-known alternatives that do the job just fine, certainly a piece of software that has the UI and functionality that was made with artists' demands in mind. I highly recommend it over using GIMP/GIMP-shop, but that's my personal opinion. I just can't stand the clunky UI and the intense resource usage that takes a toll on dated systems.

There's also SpeedyPainter if you want something more lightweight, but if you happen to have a beefy GPU/video card, I recommend Verve if you want something more 'painterly'. For vector graphics, InkScape and Krita both have vector tools.

4. Bakanyan

Bakanyan New Member

As a student, I've never been able to afford something that costly, especially since I'm from India and not even in the middle class. I've never used PhotoShop so I cannot tell you how well the combination of software(s) that I used works compared to it.

I used Inkspace for drawing/illustration, GIMP for editing and Pixlr for final effects. All of them are completely free so if you ever wanted to give this combination a try, it's not going to cost you. I've heard of SAI paint tool but that isn't free. I think they let you have a trial though. I believe making website graphics should be easy with this. It doesn't need a very high level of graphic unlike games.

5. Rahul Taware

Rahul Taware New Member

Who the hell use genuine soft wares in the world?

6. GameDomain

GameDomain New Member

I would go with Photoshop. Its what I have been using for nearly 2 / 3 years now. And I'm not telling you to do this yourself, but personally I enjoy graphic design so I needed to get my hands on Photoshop, without that expensive bill looming over my head... It was virus free when I found it as well so.... But that's what I did, nothing beats photoshop.

7. Joshh71390

Joshh71390 New Member

Gimp - is a pretty decent alternative, but it is only that.

Photoshop CC is a pretty decent alternative. It is a professional product, that gets updates, new features, and so on. If you are doing anything for a business, or project it is essential to bite the bullet and get photoshop. I personally use cs6 as I am a freelance video editor / various other adobe required fields. Think of it this way, if you are using it to make stuff to pass the time, not worth it. But for 20 bucks a month - you get EVERY single adobe program.

I have gigs I do for 600+, however if I couldn't open after effects, photoshop, illustrator, premiere, etc. I would have been chosen for exactly zero of these jobs. Also there are tons of great programs to use that you might never have gotten involved with before.

Think of how much you spend on some other, less important items in your life. Being cheap sometimes can cost you lots more in terms of efficiency.

8. Anders Larsson

Anders Larsson New Member

As an internet marketer, how do you use Photoshop?
    The reason I'm asking this is because as an internet marketer myself I understand the importance of simplicity and effectiveness regarding the productivity and pain less upscale. I would consider creating or buying a tool that can do the same result that you get from Photoshop but in a fraction of the time it takes to do it in Photoshop.

9. Skysnap

Skysnap New Member

I think Corel has option for Photoshop alternative as PhotoPaint. It is lot cheaper compared to Photoshop. Also every feature that you see with the Photoshop is available with them. Only difference being a lot of file formats are going to Corel specific, which your client may or may not like. But for those who wish to use this graphic software at home, they can have it easily without having to pay big fees on softwares from Adobe. GIMP is another alternative which is free.

10. awilson92

awilson92 New Member

My go to alternative to photoshop is GIMP. I have been using it for about four years now and I love it. I haven't got photoshop mainly because I am shy about learning a new software which is silly. Gimp has a lot of tutorials online that I find to be really helpful for any small project I end up with.

11. tin

tin New Member

Advocating something that's illegal on a forum that's monitored probably isn't the brightest idea.

I'm interpretting Ritesh's comment about cheap alternatives being a "waste of time" as meaning that cheap alternatives aren't as good as the expensive programs. If this is what he meant to say, I strongly disagree. There are many people who can create something high quality out of a cheap program. However, cheap programs can be a literal waste of time. GIMP took me a long time to learn (and it could get glitchy at times), and I never did figure out InkSpace. I find Photoshop and Illustrator to be easier to use. But some people can't afford high-end programs, so they're stuck with the cheaper alternatives.

Now... how cheap are we talking? There are good, free programs out there. GIMP is the obvious one. Krita looks really good, but it crashes on my Mac, so I wouldn't know.

Paint Tool SAI has a free trial. I'm not sure how much it costs after the trial, but I do know that it's less than $100. You can also buy used versions of Photoshop, or student versions of old versions of Photoshop or student versions of Photoshop alternatives (if you're a student, obviously). Student editions can be heavily discounted. I lucked out once, and got the student edition of Photoshop CS for about $10-$35. Very cheap, especially for Photoshop CS. I actually couldn't get it to work on my computer. When I contacted Adobe, they told me I was legally allowed to upgrade to Photoshop CS2. Score.

12. Wyvh

Wyvh New Member

There are "alternatives" to Photoshop, but in my opinion, I highly doubt that any of these can surpass Photoshop. It sure is quite expensive, but once you get it, you can't get rid of it. It's just too good. The only limits are your own imagination.

13. oswellua

oswellua New Member

I have used a photoshop alternative before, in this case I used photoscape. What I needed to do wasn't complicated, I simply wanted to add text to images and such. I think as long as someone isn't trying to do anything overly complicated they can use a photoshop alternative.

It makes sense that if you are trying to do advanced photo editing, you should be ready to spend a few bucks. What matters is achieving your desired result.

14. surebettn

surebettn New Member

To me, GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program) is my alternative to Photoshop in the graphics world. though it is not quite as feature-rich as Adobe's powerhouse, but it comes with an impressive stack of tools that can get anybody started in designing. Fortunately, mastering the use GIMP is as easy as sparing just a few hour to explore it.

GIMP can actually handle a lot of job that Photoshop can do if you master the rudiments of i

Lioniixx piixx likes this.
  15. JaiGuru

JaiGuru New Member

I have to echo the recommendations that you check out GIMP. It is a fantastic photo editing suite that has most of the functionality of old Photoshop built-in. Its UI is not as polished, and there are a few bells and whistles which are sadly lacking. However, there is a robust coding community who has built an enormous body of free plug-ins for it that help shore up its flaws.

16. Lioniixx piixx

Lioniixx piixx New Member

There are a few alternatives which include paid and free software, GIMP is a free software that is very similar to Photoshop in almost every aspect and is used widely over the world and is well recommended by many trust worthy websites and professionals, as for the paid software i'm only aware of one that is held to high standards by a lot of people which is Affinity Photo, it's an award winning software that offers PSD support and is relatively cheaper than Photoshop with the same functions and capabilities.

17. Taker997

Taker997 New Member

I used GIMP for a long time and it is an amazing alternative. Photoshop of course is at the top in the graphics world, but I remember choosing GIMP over it because I found it really easy to use. After reading a few tutorials online I was already doing stuff I only dreamed about!