IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Politics and morality are world apart.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Amos14, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Amos14

Amos14 New Member

Morals are about doing what is right for the right reasons. The definition of what is or isn’t moral is influenced by culture and environment, but there is a general consensus in most of the world.

In politics, however, things are all about power. Gaining power, maintaining power, maximizing power and wielding power. Yes, there are some who have a more altruistic view about power, but they tend to be the exception to the rule. Power attracts corruption like a flame attracts moths.

What is your take?

2. xxxgone

xxxgone New Member

Well Socrates would say that the role of a politician is to shape the populations morals. He said that our morals are what we do on an everyday basis. Like if we kill every day we would think that killing is moral. If we didn't eat meat, we would think eating meat is immoral. Politics shape our morals. And it is the job of the politician to shape these morals into what is best for our nation. At least thats' what Socrates thought.

3. nick124

nick124 New Member

I've been back and forth in my head on how to answer the post. On the one hand, I side with xxxgone. Those in power dictate and enforce right and wrong. For us to challenge their dictations and claim corruption is a presumption that we hold greater authority on the subject than the authorities. On the other hand, our views of right and wrong are often driven by our values and perspectives. Then again, this is why laws are enforced. the threat of imprisonment, fines, and violence offset our values to make us behave in a more controlled manner.

The effectiveness of the governor depends on the general perceptions of the governed. I think it's more of a cycle than two sides against each other. Wise rulers are aware that their power comes from those that they rule. By seeking to increase and maintain that power, they would be wielding that power to improve or maintain things in the eyes of those they rule. I would say that your or my belief that a politician is corrupt would be counter to their goals of power because of the resistance that it would breed. Should we be more worried about the ones we like and agree with?

4. rcoop

rcoop New Member

I think that's a fair assessment; however, I think it differs based on motives and specific political beliefs. As a person with strong liberal beliefs, my opinions are driven by my moral beliefs. As a white person, I'm an advocate for Black Lives Matter, not for some ulterior motive about power, but rather because I truly know that racism is wrong. I believe that there should be a system in place for free healthcare, simply because I think it's morally wrong to have a government in place that has citizens dying of preventable health problems due to economic differences. Therefore, I think it differs for individuals, but there's certainly people that separate their political beliefs and moral beliefs.