IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Premonitions - how do they occur?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Hiraeth, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Hiraeth

Hiraeth New Member

Science and psychology together have come up with many explanations for the formation of dreams. It is said that the subconscious mind picks up thousands of stimuli every day, some of which get deeply embedded into our mind without us realizing it. Alternately, dreams are also reflections of our mental and emotional states. Dreams about falling, slipping, jerking awake after a dream all point towards inner uncertainties, insecurities, anxieties and fears of various kinds.

But how does science explain dreams that narrate and show things that are yet to happen? I have experienced premonitions on many occasions so I know for a fact that they happen. I have tried looking for answers to this but never found any satisfactory ones. The closest I can accept as logical enough is that our mind perceives a situation and assumes certain outcomes, some of which, coincidentally pan out in reality. Doesn't sound 100% convincing (sounds forcefully dismissive of alternate, perhaps 'not so scientific' possibilities) but I cant think of any other 'logical' explanation to the occurrence of premonitions.

What are your views on this?

2. digitalsatori

digitalsatori Pompous Maladroit Moderator

The simple answer? It doesn't.

I think you are correct in that premonitions are simply an expectation of what is most likely to happen, given certain variables. We may not have a full understanding of all the circumstantial evidence that our brains can interpret for a given situation, but it's still a logical conclusion all the same.

The idea of psychic premonitions implies that existence is pre-determined. We don't have any freedom or choices because our destiny is set for us - whether a single path or multiple paths that we can 'choose' from, it's all decided for us already. How else can anyone have real knowledge of the future?

preacherbob50 likes this.
  3. Brizeida

Brizeida New Member

I am not opposed to the idea that certain premonitions are possible, simply because a synchronicity may have occurred - between the brainwaves of the one having the premonition and what is going to happen in the very near future. However, that doesn't mean you can predict far in the future, but in the immediate one. This being said, I don't believe it is an exact science to begin with, but I am staying open to being proven wrong.

4. Llingua

Llingua New Member

There's no scientific explanation for premonitions as yet and I'm guessing this area hasn't been fully explored. I think there's so much in this world that's still left for us to wonder. Who knows maybe in 50 to 100 years it will be all so evident and the scientists will put it down to a 7th sense or something that we hadn't discovered previously.

5. preacherbob50

preacherbob50 New Member

I would love to have some credible evidence one way or the other. I do believe that intuition and logic play a large part of what one may call premonition.
    But, not getting off topic, there is one avenue of premonition that has yet to be discussed in this or any other discussion group I have ever belonged to: something that happens from the simple need to have it happen.

The concious need for something to happen via prayer, statement of faith, or what have you has been explored in the faith communities but very little is written in actual scientific journals concerning the phenomenon. More than just a premonition, an actual statement is made regarding a future occurance based on faith. i.e. A person needs a liver transplant and no donor can be found. A statement of faith is made and then either the liver heals itself or a donor is found.

Although the word precognition/premonition is closely associated with a psychic ability to observe future events, does not precognition have it's place when someone can speak and expect a future event to take place? Another fine mess!

digitalsatori likes this.
  6. digitalsatori

digitalsatori Pompous Maladroit Moderator

Only if it can be reproduced reliably under reasonable scientific conditions. What about the ones who make their statements of faith, but they still don't find a donor and their liver never heals? Were they not pious enough; did they use the wrong words?

If someone could prove premonitions or precognition, on demand, I would happily change my view. Until then, I will forever remain skeptical.

7. Cryptoreal

Cryptoreal Member

This topic is one of the most bizarre theories of the human mind tied to the supernatural entities of the universe. Any one experiencing premonitions is either dreaming or being used by supernatural beings as a vessel to change a particular time line to prevent major catastrophic events from happening. But this is not true since major catastrophic things have happened such as the Tsunami, Katrina, Earthquakes in Tokyo killing hundreds, mass genocides. From my point of view, paranormal activities are for the weak. The world in general is real and real stuff do happen to real people and vise versa.