IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Recommend me a good musical.

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Proletariat, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Proletariat

Proletariat New Member

I love musicals. My favourite musical is "Sound of Music". The songs are super catchy and the plot is unforgettable. Are there any musicals similar to "Sound of Music" that you can recommend to me?

2. Rajeeta

Rajeeta New Member

Have you seen Mary Poppins ? Mamma Mia is another good musical.Try watching Grease,
    or if you want a modern musical you can try La La Land.

3. Charnell

Charnell New Member

Mamma Mia is an awesome musical that I usually recommend to those trying to become more exposed to generally joyful shows. On another note, the musical Rent is really fantastic but it is nothing like the Sound of Music, and definitely has a tougher subject matter.

4. Paufa

Paufa New Member

I might be the devil's advocate here, but I actually don't really enjoy Mama Mia. I found the plotline lacking in sophistication and the songs do not really match the plot. I literally could not finish watching the movie and closed it off halfway. It may be a matter of preference, though.

Les Miserables was what really got me into musical theatre. It is a different style from the sound of music. Much more dark, but also very romanticized. Wicked is also really good. I'm not sure if it is a movie yet. It has some great songs and the plot is nice.

5. Ashley O'Neal

Ashley O'Neal New Member

The Phantom of the Opera is one of my favorite musicals of all time. The music is absolutely stunning, and what musical would be complete without a naive female protagonist, a clueless boyfriend, and a jealous, enraged stalker? I mostly watch for the soundtrack, though.

And also, Hamilton is just amazing. The character, lyrics, choreography, and pretty much everything else in this musical will absolutely leave you breathless, but in a good way. Tickets are really hard to get, so you should at least listen to the soundtrack.

6. Paufa

Paufa New Member

Yes. Tickets are ridiculously difficult to get. You need to book like 8 months in advance or buy the resells which cost like 500 dollars. Hamilton is quite incredible though.

7. ajahcuizon

ajahcuizon New Member

What I could suggest that you should watch is "The Greatest Showman". I cannot tell that it could be considered as a musical but since the casts are singing and dancing to deliver the story then maybe it is some kind of a musical movie. It has a great story to understand and a great lesson to learn. The songs they sang are good and really up beating, I even saved a playlist in my phone. They really have a good casting and a nice story to share. A must watch movie I could say.