IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Scientific Research on Animals

Discussion in 'Science' started by Ange1, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Ange1

Ange1 New Member

I think research on animals is ok, especially if it can save a person’s life or help find a treatment or cure for a disease. However, I do believe that if alternative testing could replace animals for a certain experiment, then the alternative testing should be done. I think animal testing should be limited to health and safety concerns, and not for cosmetics.

What do you think?

Robert Kipkirui Koech likes this.
  2. Ailani

Ailani New Member

I am usually against testing on animals, due to having a soft spot for them in my heart. The main reason would be the ethics of testing; animals feel pain just like humans do, and the experiments that I have seen on animals such as rodents are very cruel. These were mainly cosmetic tests, and so I agree with you, if tests have no choice but to be conducted on animals, they should not be for cosmetics, as cosmetics do not necessarily save lives. At least health tests can have a positive impact on society.

Not all health and safety tests are successful though, as through doing research on the matter I discovered that many of the treatments that have worked on animals have then proceeded to be unsuccessful when trialled on humans. This means a large quantity of them are wasted and pointless experiments. The issue is a complicated one, many more arguments can be stated for and against testing on animals.

3. Kings.teomanc

Kings.teomanc New Member

Animals as the hub for scientific research is centered to the physiological activities they share in common with higher animals (human). To truly understand the efficacy of a drug, the mechanism by which the drug reaches its receptors, the responds of the drug on its receptors can only be understood with animals.

No doubts we humans tends to over exploit this by treating these animals with little or no care in search of cure, individual gain etc. Even with the Animal Welfare Act enacted in 1966, which regulates the care and use of animals in research, testing, teaching, exhibition, transport, and by dealers, this law still do not reduce the toxicity and allergic effects that has been induced in these animals. But, since we can't use human for these test, sourcing for other alternatives which can thrive in the same physiology as human should be put in consideration.

4. Robert Kipkirui Koech

Robert Kipkirui Koech New Member

Any research that helps man live a better life is okay

5. Monique ST Lewis

Monique ST Lewis New Member

All creations have a soul, so that should mean all creations should have some right. Animals feel just as humans feels and think that this has to be taken into consideration. I am not a strong believer in animal testing. Why should one life be vauled more than another? There has to be a balance.

Animals have a different biology to humans so any scientific result can't be transferable to humans. There is no point subjecting animals to such treatement when humans are different.

6. reuben onyango

reuben onyango New Member

Seriously, every creature has a right to be on this planet just like humans. we are not that special, that we should hurt other species so that we live better.

We have larger brain capacity, why don't we use that to find other ways to test our products, which by the way most of the time do not work, meanwhile there is an animal that has suffered. I believe animal testing should be banned and we find alternatives to do our testings.

7. Hx009

Hx009 New Member

Okay I agree with you, off course everybody will be agree with you.
    Here are something to consider.
    -Even if you are killing animal for treating diseases like aids and cancer take few precautions.
    1- there should be killing not a brutal murder.
    Like with a very sharp knife cut the throat, process should include firstly cutting the nerve which gives the pain sensation. If possible give an injection of death or unconsciousness, and then do the cutting process.

2- if you are killing an animal( generally not talking about wild animals) then you must have provided proper shelter and fooding during their growth process. I have seen animals who where hardly struggling for their food in day time and shivering in cold at night. Catching them like thieves and killing them brutually is simply not justice.

Iam saying so because i have got the right to live, you have got the right to live, every human body has a right to live similarly every living body(whether plants or animals) have got a right to live. We are most powerful among all living creature so we kill animals, for our food or for our own benefit.
    If you kill a person you will be in jail forever, why this rule is not for animals also.
    It is because animals brains are not so developed, (particularly talking about pet animals in our city) their life is not so happenning , they eat food whole day and sleep at night while standing on their legs.
    While killing off course they feel huge pain, but when dead they are free from burden of eating and sleeping on a pile of garbage.
    Animal killing for medicine purposes or even for eating purposes cannot be stopped.
    There is no alternatives of the benefit which we can have with animals.
    Like the nutrients and minerals which we get from eating non veg cannot be achieved with a veg diet.
    Similarly chemicals which we can get for medicines has no replacement with artificial chemical.
    If we are successful in achieving it( for the sake of saving animals life) artificially then the world will be not less than heaven.
    Similarly killing animals for cosmetic is simply not justified.
    Stop this, stop doing makeup, you can live without makeup, taking a light makeup is enough for a girl, girls are beautiful naturally so a light makeup touch is enough. If not try to make artificial makeup.