IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Self-Discipline

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by nozomi2015, Dec 6, 2016.

1. nozomi2015

nozomi2015 New Member

Any suggestions for increasing your motivation and willpower when it's stalled or stuck?

There's a new exercise routine I want to start, and I know it would be good for me (make me feel better etc.), but I can't seem to work up the gumption to actually do it. Any tricks that help you get over the hump with things like this?

2. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I have a tendency to procrastinate, so I've been looking up ways to stop. On one site () I read that you do not have to be motivated to do something, or at least, not the whole time you have to do the task, which is obvious but at the same time, people think that you need to be motivated or in the mood in order to do something. I don't have a lot of motivation or drive, so when I read that, it helped empowered me, knowing that I don't have to feel a certain way in order to do the things I need to do. In fact, I completed a chore recently with that in mind.

Today, I accidentally came up with another method to stop procrastinating, when I found myself thinking about other stuff while doing a chore. I realized that when I was vacuuming, that daydreaming helped made the chore more enjoyable. Someone else probably already came up with that tip but it didn't occur to me until today. While exercising, you can daydream about how you'll look or feel as a result of exercising or anything else if you want. The only limitation is your imagination!

3. Sylvester

Sylvester New Member

You just have to weigh how much of value the exercise routine is important to you. Maybe you have been dying to be in shape like that your colleague at your place of work, or like your friend/ friends circle, cousin etc. :)
    So you have to take it as a challenge and ask yourself, if that your colleague at work, or your good friend, or cousin can do it, why can't you?
    So go to your bedroom/bathroom, where ever that big mirror of yours is, and look at yourself in the mirror and imagine how outstanding and stunning you will look in the presence of your prince charming, friends and family when you go to through the exercise routine, and you will see an affirming smile on your face, and then get to work! :)
    Now get your sport gear, and get yourself and your mp3 player with your best music downloaded and ready to blast to keep your spirit high in the mood for exercise. Give yourself at least an hour per day, and 3 to 5 days in a week, and i am sure everything will be just fine.

I hope my little advice can impact you positively in any way.

All the best.

4. Done796

Done796 New Member

You can always hone your willpower to accomplish what you dream about doing! I like the previous comment about, 'daydreaming while doing an everyday task.' That's a very good one! Honestly, your motivation is up to you. That is not to say that you're not motivated. You are reaching out for advice and that is always a good way indication of your inner wishes or intentions. Now, I'll revert back to increasing your willpower. First of all, just because you haven't already accomplished your goal, does not mean you lack willpower. You might just be going about guiding yourself in the wrong way. Some people find that writing a daily journal and specifying daily goals; with a wake up writing session and a separate before bed recap helps. Some people need to put sticky note reminders everywhere they know that they will come across them on a daily basis as a great way to integrate new things into their routine. Also, some people put alarms on their smart devices designated at times of day that they know they will have a long enough break to notice them. Personally, I like the, 'All millionaire's/billionaire's first rule.' That is, always make your bed in the morning. The general idea is to have an achievable task to accomplish everyday. It boosts self esteem and gives you 2-5 minutes to wake up and start preparing/planning for your new day. Plus, you have one less task to worry about before you wind down for the day. Now, that leads me to my second point. Whatever the task you want to accomplish is; ask yourself these questions. Is it achievable with my routine? What can I do to make my goal achievable for me? If your goal is to run 5-10 flights of stairs a day and your commute to a gym with appropriate equipment takes 25-40 minutes out of your day? How much time do you have left over to move foward with your task and your regular daily responsibilities? Could you go to a park half a block from you and use some concrete steps around there, after some math to calculate the amount of flights you'll be running to attain your goal. If your goal is to add weight lifting to your exercise routine, like running while holding small weights for stress training, do you need to travel to a gym? You could find some objects that are equally balanced, weigh the same and are the same general size. Third, it is OK to try something new to make your goal more achievable and fail. Your willpower will grow as will your knowledge of what does and doesn't work for you. Keep your chin up and good luck!

5. Kanagirl

Kanagirl New Member

Make a routine. Plan out your day and make sure it's on your "to do list". Even if you aren't motivated to exercise, if it becomes habit to follow your routine, itll be easier to make yourself do it.