IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Should i learn Java or Python?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by dannixx55, Apr 20, 2015.

1. dannixx55

dannixx55 New Member

Some people say that python i appropriate to learn since it is the easiest language to learn. Others prefer java since it runs faster than python.

I am confused. I need everyone's opinion on which language i should learn as a beginner.

2. zacker150

zacker150 New Member

Currently, Python is the hip language to learn, but it's not used much in the real world. The two most common languages used in industry today are C++ and Java. I think you should take Java because it's a more powerful language and provides an easier transition to low-level language like C++. Each language will have their own quirks, but once you get past the basics, Java tends to be longer, but less annoying (I hate dynamic typing in Python). Furthermore, Java has a larger standard library and arguably better IDEs.

When learning Java, I recommend that you get a good textbook and work with that to learn your way around the language. I personally recommend the book Big Java by Cay S. Horstmann, as that was one of the books I used to study for UIL computer science (along with Algorithms in Java). As of today, the current edition is the 5th edition, but if you get the 4th edition, you can get an used copy from Amazon for less than $20.

dannixx55 likes this.
  3. dannixx55

dannixx55 New Member

Thanks so much zacker150, i appreciate your help. I really needed some advice on that matter and am glad i have found one. frabz-Thanks-Bro-2d9535.jpg

4. casscillac

casscillac New Member

I know that Java would be the best for you to learn because cause to the faster reply to commands that it gives.I think that python is good as well but when it comes to the basic of understand Java is always the best to go to get Full understanding.

5. Alexandru Andrei

Alexandru Andrei New Member

PythonPython is a high-level language built on ideas from functional, imperative and object oriented programming. It was created by Guido van Rossum in 1989.

For many years Python was my favorite language. It is a language for kids and also for scientists and a lot of people in between.
    • Python is probably the easiest language to learn
    • It took me a day to learn well enough to use
    • Very minimal language
    • Very terse code
    • Excellent wrapper language
    • Many implementations: CPython, Jython (JVM), IronPython (CLR), PyPy
    • Good bindings to numerical packages: NumPy, SciPy
    • Used in computer vision since OpenCV choosing Python to be its scripting language
    • Used in natural language processing due to the NLTK
    • Great web frameworks

6. Unknown_153

Unknown_153 New Member

Python is generally considered easier to learn, so it might be the better choice if you're just getting into programming or it is something you are pursuing without actually taking classes for it.

Something to note is that while the syntaxes for different programming languages and whatnot change, it is much easier to learn a new programming language when you are already experienced in one. It is also not a "waste" to learn Python only to learn Java after as knowing a variety of programming languages is an attractive quality in the job world.

7. vennybunny

vennybunny New Member

It depends on what you're trying to do. If you are trying to learn how to code because you enjoy it, or you are trying to improve your logic, Python would be a better choice because it is very approachable and comparatively easy. Python is actually the first programming language I learned.

In contrast, Java is much more widely used right now, so if you are trying to make a career out of programming, and you are in a bit of a hurry, then you can choose Java instead.

I don't think it matters too much, though. If you have the passion for programming, then you don't have to worry too much about where you start. Learning languages gets easier as you get more and more familiar with the common rules that languages share.

8. leonardo mclt

leonardo mclt New Member

I would recommend you learning Java first, because you will acquire all the basic knowledge you will need in the future when you want to learn another language, it will teach you how to understand a logic process in a much easier way.

It is true that python doesn't need much of configuration, or at least not as much as java, and that is another reason why I think you may want to start with java, because you will learn to do things by yourself, and when you start coding with python, you will know the reason why your piece of software doesn't run as smoothly as you may want.

I started with java and it has been much easier to learn other programming languages.

9. RangaNayaki

RangaNayaki New Member

I would prefer Java as it teaches you the fundamentals of programming. Java takes you a step ahead teaching you all the basics that you require to be a programmer. I prefer Java as I consider it to be difficult and further once you understand the basics of programming you will find Python to be much easy.

10. OneShot

OneShot New Member

i think you should go for paython, its more useful now and most of bots are made of paython. plus that paython is more easier than java.

11. TheHyperAwesomeX

TheHyperAwesomeX New Member

It depends on what your goals are in total, with programming.

If you really want to become a programmer who works and codes for a living, it would probably be best to start with Java, or alternatively C++. Those are used the most and also are best for resumes and other documents.

On the other hand, if you plan to program recreationally, you should work on Python, because, it is simpler and much easier to understand. For example, the basic "Hello World" program that is the first code many people write, would look like

publicclass HelloWorld {

publicstaticvoidmain(String[] args){
    System.out.println("Hello, World");
    }

}

in Java (taken from here, http://introcs.cs.princeton.edu/java/11hello/HelloWorld.java.html I didn't want to write it myself)

but in python, it would look more like

print("Hello, World")

I hope this example helps you, though once you know one language, it's easy to learn another.

12. lana0912

lana0912 New Member

I have started learning programming tree months ago. But my start was from basic programs, just to enter that world. I did not know a thing about it before. So i have decided to start from the very basic program such is scratch. Than processing. Now i began python and it is ease to understand formulas or sentences of codes. This was my way to enter that world. My next step will be java, I do hope so. Good luck to you.

13. Tongxiaoxin

Tongxiaoxin New Member

At my university, students are highly encouraged to learn python as their first language. I did, and I have to say that it is a good choice for a beginner. The syntax for python is easier to learn and as you advance, you will realize that python is a simple language, yet it packs many powerful functions in it. It does not matter if you are a beginner or an expert, you will still find python to be very important when you are going to be a software developer in the future.

14. lynda.wilson187

lynda.wilson187 New Member

І guеss І'll аdd mу twо сеnts.

Ѕhоrt аnswеr: lеаrn Руthоn fіrst

Lоng аnswеr: Іf уоu'rе sеrіоus аbоut рrоgrаmmіng, уоu'rе рrоbаblу gоіng tо wаnt tо lеаrn bоth еvеntuаllу. Ноwеvеr, thеу'rе dіffеrеnt lаnguаgеs аnd аrе bоth usеful fоr dіffеrеnt thіngs. І usе Руthоn fоr shоrt sсrірts, dаtа аnаlуsіs, tехt раrsіng, еtс. І wоuld sау іt's usеd fоr thе smаllеr, shоrtеr thіngs. Оn thе оthеr hаnd, І turn tо Јаvа whеn І nееd tо mаkе а lаrgеr аррlісаtіоn - іt's соmріlеd аnd іt's рrоbаblу а bіt fаstеr (І wоuld mоst lіkеlу usе sоmеthіng еlsе fоr lаrgе аррlісаtіоns, but bеtwееn Руthоn аnd Јаvа, І'd usе Јаvа).

Іf уоu'rе а nоvісе, І wоuld dеfіnіtеlу rесоmmеnd Руthоn. Whеn уоu fіrst stаrt lеаrnіng tо соdе, уоu wаnt tо lеаrn hоw tо соdе rаthеr thаn lеаrn sуntах. Руthоn hаs vеrу sіmрlу sуntах аnd wіll lеt уоu fосus mоrе оn lеаrnіng vаrіоus рrоgrаmmіng соnсерts. Оnсе уоu hаvе thаt аnd wаnt tо lеаrn Јаvа, іt'll sіmрlу bе а mаttеr оf lеаrnіng thе sуntах аnd gеttіng usеd tо thе іns аnd оuts thаt аrе unіquе tо Јаvа.

Іn shоrt:
    Руthоn - еаsу sуntах, еаsу tо lеаrn, usеd fоr lоts оf usеful thіngs. І wоuld rесоmmеnd уоu stаrt wіth іt.

Јаvа - hаrdеr sуntах, ООР, usеful fоr lаrgеr аррlісаtіоns. І wоuld rесоmmеnd уоu lеаrnеd thіs АFТЕR Руthоn.

15. Invincible

Invincible New Member

Code to print Hello, World! in python:
    Code:
    print 'Hello, World!'
    Code to print Hello, World! in java:
    Code:
    public class HelloWorld {
       public static void main(String[] args) {
           System.out.println("Hello, world!");
       }
    }
    Python, as a language, is very simple to learn and a surprising large amount of problems can be solved just using lists and dictionaries.

Also, be sure not to get stuck on decisions like this. The key here is to start learning something. Once you learn one of them, it won't take to learn to pick the other up too.

16. tt1224780

tt1224780 New Member

I think you should, Java is the most common and favorite language nowadays, which is OOP. It takes you much opportunities for applying a job as developers :)

17. nourrashedd

nourrashedd New Member

You should learn java first because the most essential programs are programmed by java ,,,,so it's important to learn java

18. Ritesh

Ritesh New Member

In my opinion , learn python since python has enough in
    common with Java and C++ that
    adding a notch on your belt for
    Python as another of the N
    programming languages you
    know is pretty easy. Paradigm
    differences aren't a huge barrier
    to trying Python. You will find
    there are differences. Don't
    resent the differences, seek them
    out and think about them. Take
    care to learn to write in Pythonic
    style. That is, don't just write Java
    code in Python syntax.
    I admire Python for the way it
    let's me express my code in
    fewer lines than many other
    languages, but still be readable
    and modifiable. It is well suited
    for incremental development.
    Arguably, it's lack of compile time
    checking of things pretty much
    demands that you be diligent in
    testing everything. That is
    perhaps, both a pro and a con.

19. SuperUser

SuperUser New Member

The fact is, you may have to learn both in the end if you are determined to pursue a career in the IT field, so the order of learning is what matters here.

I think Python is more friendly to novices, and this is why it is sometimes called 'executable pseudo code'.

For software engineering, Java is more widely used, as for larger applications, a compiled language is way efficient than an interpreted language such as Python.

For doing data science, Python is more powerful with its libraries such as numpy, scipy, sklearn and so on, although Java also has some awesome packages.

Hope this helps.

20. martin1234567890

martin1234567890 New Member

i think you should learn python because it is much better and easier than java.