IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

TATTOOS

Discussion in 'Art' started by RockStarzArmy, Aug 10, 2017.

1. RockStarzArmy

RockStarzArmy New Member

Are tattoos still considered a form of art? I wonder if some still think them as tacky while others embrace the ever growing popularity of body art. Inking one's skin is steadily becoming more and more socially acceptable with body piercing tagging along right behind it. I love tattoos as long as they are beautiful and tasteful.

rosey143 likes this.
  2. rosey143

rosey143 New Member

I love tattoos. I'm planning to have 2 in the future. One is a quote from one of my favourite book and the other one is a symbol for "rebirth/reborn". I find tattoos very interesting. Especially if they have a deep meaning from the person who had it. Some of may not be tasteful to one's perspective but I feel like people should get tattoos that have a great meaning for them because it will stay forever in their skin! Unless they had money to get it removed in the future? :p

Tattoos are for me, one of the best ways to express yourself through art.

3. peterallen

peterallen New Member

Tattooing has long been a way of ceremonial rites and passages in most cultures throughout the world. From Africa’s scarification process to the Celt’s inking griffins and monsters that were later found on their corpses , tattoos are worn to mark special events, to pay honor or respect, and even to unite body to body with ash remains that are later inked under the skin. Tattoos tell a story and can be written in any language. From symbols depicting cultural images to words and font designs, if you dare to dream it, a tattooist can likely create it and tell your tale on a living canvas.

4. Karin

Karin New Member

Tattoos or 'body ink' can be a form of art because it becomes personal to the person who has them. The word 'tattoo' comes from the tahitian word 'tatu' meaning 'to mark something'. The Maoris in New Zealand practice 'tā moko', using small mallets called 'ta' to pierce the skin, a visual language that relates to the Maori identity and role.

What I am saying is that tattoos are generally a representation of different things depending on the person, culture or history. So, as an artist I respect the artistry and beauty of tattoos, and also respect that the cultures view them as much more because it helps identify them visually.

Attached Files:

5. Iandmph

Iandmph New Member

I do think it's a form of art. I always wanted to have one but never had enough courage to do it. I know exactly what kind of tattoo I want and on what spot on my body. I know few people who are masters in tattoo making and I do consider them artists.

6. Ashley O'Neal

Ashley O'Neal New Member

I believe that tattoos are absolutely a form of art. A tattoo is something that somebody decides to put on their body because it means something to them, and I think that of course tattoos should be considered art.

I personally love tattoos and am planning to get two wrist tattoos in the future. I would love to get a music note on one wrist and a semicolon on the other. I have loved music for most of my life, so I'm deeply connected with the music note. As for the semicolon, it is a symbol of suicide awareness, something way more people should know about.