IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

The Book or the Movie?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Ibrahim neko, Jan 17, 2017.

?

Book or Movie?

1. Book

46.7%
  2. Movie

20.0%
  3. Both

33.3%
  1. Mortemonee

Mortemonee Member

You are right, just check out the movie Angel's and demon's, I noticed some parts from the script/book was not added to the movie.

2. jordan

jordan New Member

I prefer movies over books. I don't like to read at all. I like being able to see visuals like in movie but I don't like to visualize like you would while reading books.

3. Candi Hill

Candi Hill New Member

Definitely book. The book always has much better details. Anytime I have read a book and watched the movie that corresponds the movie always seems to leave out some of the more important details that define the story line. The writer of the book is a writer for that reason because they can make you feel like you are right there with the characters you are reading about. If the book is well written you will be able to visualize the story with your imagination.

4. maryliz2017

maryliz2017 New Member

I am not an avid reader, but if I had to make a choice, I would see the movie first. As someone else mentioned, movies are more interesting to me. I prefer seeing the movie because I can just sit there for the two hours or so and see the entire movie vs reading a long book.

5. Chibee Gordon

Chibee Gordon New Member

It's always the book. But better still if you match the two together. The one that comes first would always imbibe more fun and high tension. I enjoy it both ways although with certain exceptions.

I read the novel, "Angels and Demons ", before watching it. I thoroughly enjoyed the novel. The killings were epic. I had the whole imagined Scenario in my head. When I saw the movie, I was disappointed. The characters are okay except the villain. But what spoilt it was the death scenes with the stigmata. It didn't sink. The particle accelerator which extended from America to Paris didn't impress me. So many scenes was omitted. Nevertheless, I knew if I hadn't read the book, I would have appreciated the movie more.

It goes the other way round with the movie "Gone Girl ". I just preferred the movie to the novel. But it still followed the trend because I watched the movie before reading the novel. It's just that I got so attached to the actors and what their personality can do than the character being portrayed. So I felt some part of the book was implausible.

When it comes to " Game of Thrones ", I loved both the book and the novel separately. I watched the first season before I started reading the books which I finished before going back to the movie. The movie and the book just had similar beginning and ending but different means with wish they arrived at the ending.

I believe some directors make good movies but it's just hard to see a poorly written fiction. It's the writers creation. I might only say, "Such a boring world, I wouldn't want to spend any minute in it. "

6. CyLes

CyLes New Member

Book is better than movies. Movies don't go in very minute detail explanation and Movies are short and you will know the main plot within few hours and you can enjoy that. Reading book is like journey you experience the things while reading like the fire, the pain the happiness. You will create your own images with your own color.

7. PedroCarvalho

PedroCarvalho New Member

At least for me, depends a lot. Since I'm a lover of thriller/atmospherical sci-fi, such as H.P. Lovecraft and Stephen King, if the movie is an adaptation of a book of this genre, I'll read the book first. Beside this case, I have no priority on which one to do first. We need to understand that movies and book are different means of communication, with different purposes.

8. jay solano

jay solano New Member

I prefer books, because it has many stories that details a lot of interesting, especially in plot lines. When, the books being establish into movies. It become less accurate from original movie, and sometimes not interesting at all. I usually don't pay attention, and I didn't even watch to the movies, because it will just disappoint me.

The best book that, I ever was "The count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas. I like the content of the book itself, because it has a lot of interesting adventure, and even its scenes were surprising enough to mind blow, the readers. I consider it, as best book of all. I always recommend it to my friends, and to read it.

9. Belinda M. Teodosio

Belinda M. Teodosio New Member

I agree with you book is relevant than movie. There is a lot of scene in the book that they cut in the movie. Though it is given since they only summarize the story in the movie. Even though I already finish reading the book but I still intent to watch the movie so when I read the book again, I can picture it out the face of the character in the story.

10. jasminepvk

jasminepvk New Member

I prefer both because many movies are inspired by Books.For example a movie called Twilight based on the four novels by American author Stephenie Meyer and Harry potter its also based on a novel called Harry Potter by J.K .Rowling.

11. gjgcint

gjgcint New Member

Both! We should appreciate both. In my experience, it is more immersive when you watch the movie first and then read the book. I know people complain movie adaptation of the book is not exactly like the book but we should consider the production cost. We also have to consider that the movie needs to make money and some parts must be deleted, edited, or added to be appreciated by other people. In addition, not all people read books.

12. ageneral

ageneral New Member

I would definitely choose the Book, well it’s more detailed and your imagination will surely run. You will further know about the context and the character. The Movie show only the important and exciting part. So, you will maybe not appreciate the story more. But Sometimes, you will love the Movie because of its cinematography and the effects.

13. Kurdapia122

Kurdapia122 New Member

It goes both ways, for example The Godfather is both my favorite book and movie. I love both. The movie has cut out the parts about Lucy Mancini getting surgery, Johnny Fontaine getting surgery and all that stuff with Jules Segal which was good. I really don't care about Lucys surgery at all.

However, certain things I think the book did better. The episode where all of the families meet to have a peace talk and Don Corleone is trying to bring Michael home for example. I love that in the book. All of the different Dons from all over America are fleshed out a bit, and you get a bit of a feel for their personalities etc.

14. ACEP

ACEP New Member

I'm sorry but I am not a fan of reading a book, it is easier for me to watch a movie. It is much more exciting and intense in the form of entertainment, it presents series of action, emotion and can bring the audience into the story in a much more lively way than reading a book can produce. Also, for me, it is very convenient to watch a movie because you can easily finish a story in just an hour or two. For me, the advantage of the movie is, I can gain social skill and experience.

Movies can provide a common social experience through which can people connect and relate to one another.

15. roldya

roldya New Member

Books! They are a lot more detailed then movies, books actually tell us what the characters are thinking and we can connect to the characters a lot easier. Reading books also improves my literature skills, I can 'absorb' how punctuation, grammar, and spelling is used correctly. Meanwhile, movies usually make me sleepy.... actually, I like movies when I want more thrill to things, or I watch them just to see what the characters look like. But movies are no where near as detailed in describing emotions as I would want them to be, and one last point:

Overall, Books are usually more satisfying, I like to imagine the characters and settings for myself. Reading books are a way to make my imagination run wild like no movie can :)

16. Carmilina

Carmilina New Member

I still prefer books since in the movie there are very limited things that you can only do. There are also good factors that you can enhance if you make it to a movie. Books descriptions are very detailed and it's very majestic as well, I may get frustrated if they make it into a movie and fails to execute it well.

17. Vladv26

Vladv26 New Member

Both. First I read the book and create a movie in my head and then I go to see the actual real movie. It is kind of interesting to do that because you also train your brain and your imagination

18. Kelly King

Kelly King New Member

Though watching good movies is not bad but in movies they tend to hide some parts of the story. You can't get it all in movies.

Reading books actually time more than you sit watching movies but the story will be told as its needed and will also build your mental reasoning.

19. Elah

Elah New Member

To me, the book gives us in depth details about the story that the movie is missing. I love how you can visualize the characters with your own preferences and have the types of personalities that is described.

Some movies do do a good job trying to put the same amount of details the book gives in a short amount of time.

20. silentzero07

silentzero07 New Member

I prefer books, why? Because it is my way to escape. Reading books can make me go to another world or wherever my imagination takes me. Books may be boring for other people, but for me it gives me comfort. Books are way better than the movie because it has the full story that a movie have only summarized. Sometimes reading books can make you feel less lonely because you feel like you are in the other world or dimensions, unlike in movies, yes you will probably enjoy, but reading books is much better because there are instances that you can learn more in reading books than watching movies because books are more reliable than the TV shows or movies.