IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

The greatest sportsman of my lifetime

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Victor Kimani, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Victor Kimani

Victor Kimani New Member

We all love one sport or the other. In our beloved sports, their are those players that keep us constantly waiting to 'see them do their magic' in the next game, much to our enthrallment and great entertainment. Even more, there are those players/athletes we have seen in action and wondered whether anybody can outperform them, hence we go ahead and brand them "the greatest player of our generation," some "the greatest player of all times." But for now forget the later lot, because some in that category are 'legends' that you've never watched in action and have only heard about their 'wizardry' in sports history.

I love football (soccer) much, much more than any other game. I also follow Formula One, Moto sport, golf, tennis, and athletics with keen interest. In my favourite game, there's only one player that I have watched play and have been left mesmerized beyond belief; Ronaldinho Gaucho. To me, at his short peak Ronaldinho was an absolute, out-of-this-world football genius. At times when he played, the difference in ball control and 'moves' calculation between Gaucho and opposing teams' defenders appeared as huge as that of a father playing with his 7 and 5 years-old sons. Some of these moves will forever remain indelible and much endeared in my memory; like the 'cross-legs move' (for lack of a better word) he made against the reputed England defender Sol Campbell during Brazil vs England 2012 quarter final match. Poor Sol was left looking like a confused super-idiot. Gaucho's goal-scoring precision strike in the same game, struck from near half-field line and which caught David Seaman off the mark, was nearly as phenomenal, and truly unforgettable.

Louis Figo, Ronaldo (both 7 and 9), Lionel Messi, Zidane, Robben, Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo, are also truly great players that I have had the privilege of watching them in action. However, none of them, for me, falls in the same category as Gaucho.

At their peak, also, Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt, Haile Gebreselasie, Paul Tergat, Tirunesh Dibaba, Mike Tyson, Tiger Woods, Rodger Federer, Mo Farah, David Rudisha, Kirani James, Allyson Felix, Serena Williams, Andre Agassi, Michael Schumacher were extremely talented in my opinion, and I don't think I will live long enough to witness the birth of another genius of the caliber of each one of them.

Which player/athlete do you consider the best that you have ever watched in action?

2. atsoc.cst

atsoc.cst New Member

Messi is probably the best sportsman that I've ever seen. He just dominates every facet of what he does, gets involved in every action of his team and helps them achieve whatever is in his hands. LeBron is also an amazing athlete, he's a close second.

3. kymdynis

kymdynis New Member

Close however no stogie: Diego Maradona, George Best, Johann Cruyff, Michel Platini, Bobby Moore, Franz Beckenbauer, Jairzinho, Socrates, John Charles, Stanley Matthews, Duncan Edwards, Lionel Messi, Ryan Giggs.

Best in my lifetime: Zinedine Zidane

Messi may surpass him in the end, yet Zidane had it all, in addition to he won the World Cup.

Best ever: Pele.

His record justifies itself with real evidence - 1,282 objectives in 1,363 diversions, in addition to a three time World Cup champ.

Cricket

Close however no stogie: Sir Ian Botham, Brian Lara, Sachin Tendulkar, Sir Garfield Sobers, Curtley Ambrose, Sir Jack Hobbs, Dennis Lillie, Sir Vivian Richards, Malcolm Marshall, Muttiah Muralitharan.

4. Jacob_Rosenfarb

Jacob_Rosenfarb New Member

The real ronaldo, the Brazilian, who passed through Barcelona and went to Real Madrid.
    Without a doubt, the most complete forward I've ever seen play, fast, incredible technique, and a born scorer. I never saw a player of that caliber again.

5. Pady

Pady New Member

In my opinion Sachin Tendulkar is greatest sportsman in my life. He is my favorite cricketer.

kymdynis likes this.
  6. wasswa sharif

wasswa sharif New Member

Honestly am a soccer fan and my greatest sportsman is "Ronaldinho" there will never be another one not even close. His playing style and body language, skills, ball control were all out of this world. It like he was from a differnt planet. "Viva king Ronaldinho."

7. daniel1981

daniel1981 New Member

Well, there are different sports. Individually our admiration towards them varies. Hence in identifying greatest sportsman may be guided by individual admiration towards a particular sport. No wonder many may talk of soccer stars as great sportsmen due to huge fan base that footballing enjoys. While appreciating the majority who of course are said to have their way, the minority can't be ignored. And I lie among the minority if we go by previous comments. My favourite sport being boxing, my pick for greatest sportsman goes to none other than one Manny Pacquiao. That man has surpassed many odds. As much as his sport is more of 'bad boys game' per say due to its obvious brutality, he has managed to move above that. His sentiments and actions portrays him as a man full of humanity. It is because of they that he has managed to get elected as congressman in Philippines's Congress.

8. keepcanhey

keepcanhey New Member

This depends on what sport(s) one likes. In football there are a couple of stand outs, these include Messi Ronaldo,Thierry Henry,Benzema,Ronaldinho,Kaka and Rooney.
    In atheltics; Paul Tergat,Haile Gabrselassie,Mo Farah,Tecla Lorupe among others