IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

The Movie or the book?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by tracy, Nov 10, 2015.

1. hurtadoluisalex

hurtadoluisalex New Member

I think the book is more important because it contains more information and it is a great source of details that in movies can not be seen. The quality of details and variables is greater in the books, but they do not provide a great context like in the movies, what I mean is that the scenes in the movies do not lend much information to the imagination, so the information is more compact and with fewer variables that could change as story is perceived.

I personally prefer the movies because they offer more excitement, although there is nothing like a book that gives you all the details necessary to understand the whole story.

2. Lythium

Lythium New Member

Certain movies have inspired me to read the books these movies are based on. The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter series are two examples of movies that interested me enough to make the effort to read the books. Watching the movies and then reading the books enhances stories that I already enjoy and I am not disappointed when certain elements of the book are not in the movie.

Sequiter and Justsha like this.
  3. Justsha

Justsha New Member

In most cases I prefer to read the book. I enjoy watching action packed or fantasy movies that are based on books just to see if my interpretation lines up with the writer or director's vision. Most movies that are made from books do not do the book much justice because characters and situations are inevitably edited for time. I have read several books after seeing the movie because I figured if the movie was good the book had to be amazing.

4. Topkat48

Topkat48 New Member

The book is more important, because it gives more details and information. with the movie you see what is going on, but with the book it gives you more sense of imagination, for example if you read the book Titantic it gives you more information about the sinking of the ship than the movie shows, details on how some of the people escape and others didnt, which was not shown in the movie.

5. Raven1194

Raven1194 New Member

I definitely prefer reading the book to watching the movie. Movies have limitations to the amount of details they can include. Books have a lot of details and don't rely on the quality of the actor to express emotions. I also feel that I have a deeper understanding of the character as a whole when I read the book.

6. btruskosky

btruskosky New Member

I usually prefer the books due to lack of details in movies also. I also love seeing the book come to life. Books are great to use your own imagination with but movies are awesome because of the story coming to life before your eyes. I'm a big reader but I love both.

7. Sonn1k

Sonn1k New Member

The book, because it is more detailed than the actual movie, you can feel the connection between you and each character. For me, I can relate to a book more than the movie, that's why sometimes I get unhappy when my favorite scene isn't included in the real movie. Of course, it is expected that not all from the book can be made into the movie since there is a time limit for every movie.

8. i-Writer

i-Writer New Member

I would choose a movie because you can learn it by watching what is written in the book. Watching movies is sometimes easier to grasp than reading a book. When you watched it, it is easier to understand and get the concept or idea of a thing. When you read it you will just try to imagine and think how it is done when it comes to an idea or a technology. But I think it will still depend on the capacity of the mind on how you will understand it.

9. Patricia Muteti

Patricia Muteti New Member

I can't deny I love both books and movies, but I can't dismiss the fact that books have more details than the movie,but at the same time we can't ignore the fact that movies give us an experience that we can't forget like the 3D movies

10. meerasandhya

meerasandhya New Member

I had been an avid reader in the past. But my dual role as a busy housewife and online writer takes majority of my time. To be honest nowadays I can’t find enough time to read books though there is one library nearby. No doubt, though good movies are entertaining and often deliver good social messages, they can never replace the charm of good books. We easily forget a movie even if it is visualized beautifully, but not the characters of a book we read years ago. Books can definitely improve our writing skills and can help us a lot on online platforms, though it is a bit time consuming for reading a book.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  11. Darla78

Darla78 New Member

Personally, I prefer to read the book. The book is more detailed as to the story that the movie is trying to unfold. In my opinion, the attempt is to no avail. So yes, I love my books and prefer them over the movie. I will go and watch the movie if it is available just to see how much of the book was cut out.

12. Anupama

Anupama New Member

I prefer books to movies. I tend to pay more attention while reading books, than while watching movies. My attention wanders during movies. I love reading books. You can call me a book worm.

13. Scott

Scott New Member

I would prefer the book because they are also longer and you get to imagine how the character looks like. I also like the feeling of the book's pages too. They feel so good and they remind me why always reading is better than movies. I don't hate movies, I just prefer books.

14. jeanette havekotte

jeanette havekotte New Member

I love stories and for me there is a very important divide between reading books or watching movies. Some stories are for reading only and some are worth watching. A deep and literary book is so hard to transform into a movie and take the viewer into the deep thoughts and meanings the book can so much better explain. Some stories are about exiting action, beautiful nature, romantic relationships, etc. I would like to see that, rather than read about it.
    After having read a book and view the movie afterwards you can end up really disappointed because in your own mind you have pictures and created the environment. To see how a movie director has translated his own vision might be big downer for you personally.

15. popcorncake

popcorncake New Member

I'm one of those people who wants to read the book first before seeing the movie. I like the fact that I can imagine what the place and people look like without the image of the scenes and people for the movie chancing it. Most of the time books also have information that movies doesn't and I personally like to know it all. Movies are also short in comparison with the book or bookstand there for does leave a lot of things out.

16. Lakeyia

Lakeyia New Member

I like both but if I had to choose I would really like to watch the movie because I would love to see the book in action. The book gives you more information while the movie takes a lot of things away but I think that it would be better just to watch the movie and then read the book. I usually read books first and then watch the movies. I like to make sure that I do both and see which one I like better.

17. divinemaredi

divinemaredi New Member

To be frank, I actually enjoy both, this is because they have essential elements that make both of them unique, for instance:
    The novel is more detailed and provokes you to reach deep within your imagination to unfold the story yourself, guided by the author.
    While the movie is (in most cases) the revealing of the author's own imagination, this is awesome because it shows you another person's point of view and opens the same story in a way you have never thought of!

18. SoCalDiegoRob

SoCalDiegoRob New Member

I do not read a lot of books that have been made into movies but the ones that I have read that were made into movies, I have to say that 97% of the time the book is always better.

My reason for this I believe is that although movie magic has come a long way, I do not believe that it will ever match ones imagination. Books allow you to imagine the scene exactly the way you want to perceive it. Two different people could read the exact same book but see it in a totally different way. While two different people could see the same movie and while they may have some differences they will have basically seen the same thing.

Books win hands down because nothing beats your own imagination...

19. jzerbinat

jzerbinat New Member

I prefer both. I like the book because by reading I am able to know how the characters feel and what they are thinking, but I also like the movie because I can see what I imagined while I read the book. Of course, I would read the book first and then watch the movie.

20. Sequiter

Sequiter New Member

I used to be a book person, always preferred the book to the movie, because you become the character. You experience what the characters experiences and with a good book you disappear into a new world. The same can be said for the movie, but you always know you are a voyeur, you are watching someone else having the adventure. There are movies though that have changed my mind, the LOTR movies are one of those examples. I had only read the first two before watching the movies, but when I read them again and the remaining books in the series it was easier to get into the imagery because I could see the various characters quite easily. The fact that Peter Jackson was a huge fan means that there were no jarring changes. The best part was listening to Elfish, reading it and listening to it made the musicality come to life for me however the monsters overall were much better than I imagined except the Watcher in the Lake that scared me no end when I read the book the first time. Then there are movies that actually are so different from their respective books, like Sleepy Hollow based on The Legend of Sleepy Hollow short story, that it actually gives a different depth to the story, I am a little biased because I am a huge fan of Tim Burton movies.