IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

The Movie or the book?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by tracy, Nov 10, 2015.

1. osjdaniels

osjdaniels New Member

For me I do enjoy both, but from personal experience the book always give far more details than the movie. Many times after seeing the movie I have purchase the book so I can read the details and personal experience of the writer. Also for me it always interesting how the book is turn into a movie, or made for T.V. Sometime it all comes down to the writer.

2. Espi

Espi New Member

I most definitely agree with you. I cannot connect with book characters, although reading is fine, these days I don't believe that the average person wants to go 2 or 3 months deep in reading a 500 page novels, especially when there's more than one book in the series. I'd rather watch the movie and get it over with. Can't waste that much time on reading books in the 21st century.

Knowing that you are an avid movie fan, it might be better to just go watch the movies, instead of trying to read as many books as possible.

3. vinsenspy

vinsenspy New Member

In general, I don't like to compare the movies to the books. They are completely different artistic mediums that can be and should be appreciated for what they are and not compared to one another. Movies are very visual and auditory mediums, whereas books require a much greater usage of the consumer's imagination. I don't tend to compare them because I enjoy them for what they are and the unique attributes they each possess, rather than trying to compare them.

To me, comparing a movie to it's novel counterpart is like comparing a waterfall to a rock formation. They aren't really comparable because they have so little in common, yet they are both beautiful in their own way. Certainly, they are both made with water and stone, like books and movies having the same base story, but the end result is far different. I actually think that people should stop comparing the two mediums as if they should be the same.

4. Anonzere

Anonzere New Member

Watching the movie is much better than reading the book. In movies, time is much shorter as compared to reading the book. Also we get to learn more in movies, as in the character traits are well portrayed, the illustrations make the movie interested and exiting to watch.

However, books also play an important part such that they are the source of the movie. I'd like to appreciate the book, but my heart goes for watching the movie.

5. Nkudensi

Nkudensi New Member

To me, I prefer reading the book first. Why? Simply because the book will be well detailed more than the movie. There is usually no limitation unlike the movie that considers time factor and therefore will definitely cut off some scenes. Reading the book first also give me the opportunity of picking new words I might not be familiar with initially.

6. asdfghjxxkra

asdfghjxxkra New Member

I would prefer reading the book. Some movies change how the book was written and it won't feel right anymore. I have read "Me Before You" and I didnt't go to the cinema to watch the movie since I didn't want to be disappointed on how things will turn out. I would prefer leaving my own imagination into it than watching the movie.

7. Hannah Malagueno

Hannah Malagueno New Member

Personally, I will always prefer the book over its movie adaptation. Aside from the fact that a movie leaves out a lot of important details from the literary, I enjoy reading a book than watching a movie better. Some movies lack the 'surprise element' and are often predictable in nature. Unlike with books, books cater different emotions and a room to exercise your imagination by creating unbounded pictures of the scene, the characters, and the events from the book inside your head. Sometimes, after finishing a book, I found myself starring at a void, carried by how brilliant the book's content was.

8. divine

divine New Member

I like both, however, there is a usually a lot more detail in the literary version. Books are amazing but they are so full of small details that make the story that the movies are frequently poorly conceptualized.

9. Rolie

Rolie New Member

Well i prefer movies than rwading the book

10. SkullFaced09

SkullFaced09 New Member

Watching movies or reading books?, both of them are good ways to deliver a story so i would compare them both and i will give all my thoughts on "watching movies or reading books?". On reading books it is very informative because it is being delivered in words it could also help you improve your grammar but on some people that exercise laziness i'm sure that they will not appreciate books and they will just end up being bored get sleepy at the end. Most of the people that don't read books are weak when it comes to imagination so i bet they wouldn't even finish reading the book and on avid book readers their imagination is really strong that every time they read is like their playing the story on their head. And lastly on movie watchers they are for people who really wanna see some live actions and not by words its not that they are so lazy but they just want to see it on eyes and i think watching movies are less likely to cost than buying your own book. So if i were to choose between watching movies or reading books i'd choose watching movies because i'm not the kind of person who would lay down for a long time and read quietly but instead i want to see it in live action.

11. Somethingclever

Somethingclever New Member

Always the book, regardless, of how good the movie is. Books just provide more detail than its movie could portray. We're often find ourselves being disappointed with a book's movie because movies leave out the little details that make us fall in love with the characters or the details that made the book such a good read. Which brings me to my next reason to why books are always better than its movie: limited storytelling time. Movies directors often leave out the juicy details and the page turners because they're limited to how long the movie has to be. Also, usually the actors/actresses doesn't do the characters justice. Often we've seen actors/actresses who've made a strong leading character from a book look like pile of garbage.
    So, why miss out on the chance of living an adventurous life through several different characters by watching the book's not-so-good movie when you can just read it?

12. ion

ion New Member

Both actually, because after I read my books, I want to watch the actual movie based on the books. But my first priority is book, and I really love to read books, because my mind create something from what I reading. I created some scenario inside my mind, like I'm the main character, and also the settings of the book. I can use my imagination if how exactly the place is, the images of every character. and how every scenario happened based on the book. I develop my wide imagination from how the writer write their book.

13. elenaalcongerardo

elenaalcongerardo New Member

Well for me I prefer books. I'm so bias because I am a book lover. Books make my mind at ease. Reading makes me feel like I'm meditating. It's just like an escape to my predicaments in life. Whenever I feel stress, I just grab my book and start to read. Then after, I'm in a new world. I got connected to the book. It was just I'm the main character.

Although I watch movies especially those derived from books. And I got disappointed if ever there are seems that were not on the book. Then I would just tell to myself, "Bring justice to the book please!". And my friends always tease me to being a spoiler.

14. elenaalcongerardo

elenaalcongerardo New Member

Unquestionably, books over movies. I'm so bias because I'm a book lover itself. Books make my mind at ease. It always feels like I'm meditating. Books are my escape to my predicaments in like. Reading is my stress reliever.

Although I watched movies derived from books. However I always got disappointed every time there are scenes that were not synced on the book. I will become a spoiler and rant about it. My friends will always tease me though and they will not invite me to the next movie especially if it was from a book.

15. Lou

Lou New Member

I generally, prefer the book. Something about a book that just lets your imagination run wild. There have been quite a few movies that I've seen then NOT read the book; Harry Potter, for example. Others, I read the book first, like Mortal Instruments. I felt that 2 hours wasn't enough to cram the whole 1st book into it. But, I've really enjoyed the TV series. Go figure!

16. Felipe

Felipe New Member

The book has more content , i've always felt that a movie falls short at wanting to tell a good story in a mere 2 hours or less.

17. CJI1003

CJI1003 New Member

I usually prefer the books. My first experience being disappointed by book into movie was with Flowers in the Attic. I read the whole Virginia Andrews series, actually every book she wrote, but when I was 16 my friend (also big Virginia Andrews fan) found Flowers in the Attic in the video store, so we rented it. Bored, bored bored. I just couldn't believe how they turned something so great into such rubbish. My expectations were far too high obviously.

18. Arnold kibiribiri

Arnold kibiribiri New Member

The book is always better. Apart from narrating the storyline in depth, books explain the thoughts going through a characters' minds while performing an action, which lets you connect with them better and immerse yourself deeper in the story. Example: The Shining - Book VS Movie. While reading the book I felt Jack was a close friend and I started caring for him. But his character in the movie felt sort of underdeveloped, the Overlook hotel too. It was the main reason why Stephen King hated the movie adaptation of his masterpiece.

19. Monique ST Lewis

Monique ST Lewis New Member

I think reading the book is always better than watching the movie because sometimes the movie doesn't always live up to your expetation. In the books there are always more details and your imgination can take you so many more places than a movie can. In the movies sometimes people who play the chatacter do not always suit the part and often leave you feeling disappointed.

20. bill

bill New Member

I would prefer both the book and the movie. At times reading is very tiresome and also when reading you may not understand some of the parts of the story. In that case I would turn to the movie. On the other hand, since the movie is a summary of the whole book, I would turn to the book so that I can get the detailed information.