IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

To much CGI can, hurt a movie.

Discussion in 'Computer Graphics' started by Brenda, May 11, 2015.

1. Brenda

Brenda New Member

I feel G.L. put to much CGI in his Starwars, which is why I did not Love them.
    I only like them a little, but the ones I grow up on. I love them, the Starwars of
    70's told a story. CGI should add to the story it should not be the story.

2. jonesfred823

jonesfred823 New Member

Yeah sometimes it's better to use dummies or actually make a model. You can really tell if it's done by CGI or not.

3. tin

tin New Member

I didn't even know Stars Wars had CGI. I haven't actually seen Star Wars, though.

jonesfred823's comment reminded me of Jurassic Park. Apparently, the dinosaurs weren't CGI. I haven't really watched Jurassic Park, either, but I've seen a few scenes of the dinosaurs, and I was SO impressed that they had the ability to do that in the 90s. Way ahead of its time.

4. Momoney

Momoney New Member

S

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  5. Momoney

Momoney New Member

Star Wars was great because it was a pioneer in the CGI techniques it used. No other movie had ever used CGI like George Lucas. Although CGI in Star Wars was a bit excessive to some, it was used to tell a story.
    However, people have over-utilized CGI to a point where filmmakers have forgotten that CGI should not be the main focus of a film.
    Some films these days have so much CGI with very little in the story department. That goes contrary to the purpose of filmmaking, which is storytelling, not visual effects.

6. Mallory

Mallory New Member

I agree. There was way too much CGI in the new Star Wars movies. It really detracted from the film. Like momoney said, I think they just got carried away and forgot that people weren't there to see all the special effects. Movies shouldn't rely on it, and it's a serious problem in the fantasy and sci-fi genres. The new Harry Potter movie, Fantastic Beasts, also had the same problem.

7. JaiGuru

JaiGuru New Member

It all depends on what the movie is trying to accomplish. The best results tend to be achieved by the thoughtful augmentation of robust practical effects with enough layers of CGI to breathe life into the props. That said, when a movie is just trying to be dumb fun I have no problem with an over abundance of CGI. Sometimes it's for the best to simply surrender to the experience.