IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Using Pentium IV CPU

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Aryabros, Sep 26, 2017.

?

Are you using Pentium IV

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Aryabros

Aryabros New Member

Well, maybe you guys won't believe but I am still using a computer which works on Pentium IV. However, I never found any disadvantages of using such an old version of processor, I am able to play all my favorite games and run all my essential software. My friends keep on saying me to upgrade but I think its a waste of money and nothing else.

Can anyone help me out here? What should I do? And please convince me with a good reason.

2. Joshua Bautista

Joshua Bautista New Member

If you're satisfied with your Pentium at the moment stick with it otherwise you should upgrade it. There's a lot of new good processors out there with a cheap price for example the Ryzen of AMD and Pentium GSeries of Intel kabylake technology.

3. reuben onyango

reuben onyango New Member

I use HP desktop model DC 7100 which runs on a Pentium iv processor it has never disappointed me. I do believe these machines were built to last long like mine is over 10 years old and still going strong. It was designed for Windows XP but I've installed every single operating system released by Microsoft from Windows XP to Windows 10 and it has handled them without breaking a sweat.

The only thing I've upgraded is the RAM from 512 MB to 4gb and the hard disk from 40 GB to 250 GB. I blow it about twice a year to keep the processor working properly. I just love this machine.

4. Hmid_Lashkham

Hmid_Lashkham New Member

If you're computer is serving its purpose and satisfying your needs, why upgrade it? It's like how the saying goes; if it's not broken, don't fix it. Don't succumb to peer pressure, technology isn't fashion so there is no point in following the most recent trends. (not that I'd recommend following fashion tends lol)

What you might want to look into is running a GNU/Linux OS on your hardware to extend its lifespan even more. Linux with a lightweight DE like Mate would run super smooth even on a P4. Heck, it would run perfectly fine on even older hardware. Invest your money elsewhere, friend.

5. analo

analo New Member

I did have one before, but I don't have a PC with a Pentium IV CPU anymore. In my opinion, they were not very good processors, certainly one of the worst Intel has designed. Mediocre performance with bad power efficiency - AMD Athlon CPU's were a much better buy back when Pentium IV's were relevant, having similar performance with much better power efficiency combined with lower price. Late Pentium IV CPUs based on prescott architecture were also pretty prone to overheating.

That said, If you're satisfied with what you have there is no reason to change it. If you do ever want to upgrade, even the cheapest CPU's these days are better than what you have.